Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Modest Proposal

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> A Modest Proposal Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Modest Proposal - 5/16/2006 11:05:49 AM   
Alhazred

One of the problems I had in putting together the Minimal Mod (see below) was trying to make sense of all the other mods. For example, a comment like "changed the 12.7 MG to more historical values and then the armament for Ki-43 to 2x12.7 MG and updated the 5th Ftr Sentai to use these, also moved them to Kompong Som" would be a tad difficult to track down (though not impossible).

I propose that all modders also write in the Device/Aircraft/Location numbers after each item that they mod.

For example "Added 40mm Cannon Ho-301 (Device 225), cannon used in the late war Ki-44-II Hei Tojo (Aircraft 074)".

This way it is a lot easier for everyone to track what's going on.
Post #: 1
RE: A Modest Proposal - 5/16/2006 2:41:42 PM   
el cid again

There are great advantages to documenting. The biggest is that the forum generates a great deal of feedback to the modder. In turn, feedback results in a better product. The cost is time: it takes several times as long to document. You want to take ten years, try to implement your proposal for a project of this scope. I generated 30,000 words of documentation on just Japanese planes - and in the end it failed to persuade at least one person too many - for work done on a subject I was not even proposing be done: I wanted to correct ship values (a much safer thing to attempt). Changing the armor on a turret (because all Japanese turrets on cruisers are 25 mm - except the strance case of UNarmored Katori - where it has 50mm!) is safe - no code issues there. Dealing with the undefined, and probably undefinable, aircraft engine scheme - that is hard - and dangerous. I managed to impress a professional mathmetician and programmer - and to document it all to a standard higher than ever was used before or since - but you will search in vein for any sense that that level of documentation was used - or understood - much less desired. And let me say unless it is VERY valuable to someone, it is not worth multiplying your time by 400% to do it.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/16/2006 2:42:04 PM >

(in reply to Alhazred)
Post #: 2
RE: A Modest Proposal - 5/16/2006 5:29:51 PM   
Alhazred

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

There are great advantages to documenting. The biggest is that the forum generates a great deal of feedback to the modder. In turn, feedback results in a better product. The cost is time: it takes several times as long to document. You want to take ten years, try to implement your proposal for a project of this scope.

[snip]

it is not worth multiplying your time by 400% to do it.

You misunderstood me. I was not asking for proper documentation, nor is my aim to convince people of anything. I just thought that I would mention the fact that something as easy as listing the slot numbers of things that have changed in a mod can make all our collective modding experience easier. I should think that this would not "multiply my time by 400%".

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> A Modest Proposal Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI