Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Modest Proposal

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> A Modest Proposal Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Modest Proposal - 5/16/2006 11:05:49 AM   
Alhazred

One of the problems I had in putting together the Minimal Mod (see below) was trying to make sense of all the other mods. For example, a comment like "changed the 12.7 MG to more historical values and then the armament for Ki-43 to 2x12.7 MG and updated the 5th Ftr Sentai to use these, also moved them to Kompong Som" would be a tad difficult to track down (though not impossible).

I propose that all modders also write in the Device/Aircraft/Location numbers after each item that they mod.

For example "Added 40mm Cannon Ho-301 (Device 225), cannon used in the late war Ki-44-II Hei Tojo (Aircraft 074)".

This way it is a lot easier for everyone to track what's going on.
Post #: 1
RE: A Modest Proposal - 5/16/2006 2:41:42 PM   
el cid again

There are great advantages to documenting. The biggest is that the forum generates a great deal of feedback to the modder. In turn, feedback results in a better product. The cost is time: it takes several times as long to document. You want to take ten years, try to implement your proposal for a project of this scope. I generated 30,000 words of documentation on just Japanese planes - and in the end it failed to persuade at least one person too many - for work done on a subject I was not even proposing be done: I wanted to correct ship values (a much safer thing to attempt). Changing the armor on a turret (because all Japanese turrets on cruisers are 25 mm - except the strance case of UNarmored Katori - where it has 50mm!) is safe - no code issues there. Dealing with the undefined, and probably undefinable, aircraft engine scheme - that is hard - and dangerous. I managed to impress a professional mathmetician and programmer - and to document it all to a standard higher than ever was used before or since - but you will search in vein for any sense that that level of documentation was used - or understood - much less desired. And let me say unless it is VERY valuable to someone, it is not worth multiplying your time by 400% to do it.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/16/2006 2:42:04 PM >

(in reply to Alhazred)
Post #: 2
RE: A Modest Proposal - 5/16/2006 5:29:51 PM   
Alhazred

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

There are great advantages to documenting. The biggest is that the forum generates a great deal of feedback to the modder. In turn, feedback results in a better product. The cost is time: it takes several times as long to document. You want to take ten years, try to implement your proposal for a project of this scope.

[snip]

it is not worth multiplying your time by 400% to do it.

You misunderstood me. I was not asking for proper documentation, nor is my aim to convince people of anything. I just thought that I would mention the fact that something as easy as listing the slot numbers of things that have changed in a mod can make all our collective modding experience easier. I should think that this would not "multiply my time by 400%".

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> A Modest Proposal Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI