AB map version 6

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and the game editor for WITP.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Halsey

AB map version 6

Post by Halsey »

So what are the fixes in this one AB?[;)]
Andrew Brown

RE: AB map version 6

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: Halsey
So what are the fixes in this one AB?[;)]

The map is not yet "officialy" released because I haven't generated the scenarios yet, but here is the list of changes:

Version 6.0 includes the following changes and additions:
Changes:

1. Padang, on Sumatra, has been "moved" to a more correct location (hex 18,50).
2. A missing railway on Sumatra, travelling one hex inland from Padang, has been added. This railway was used to transport coal from inland mines. This is a low capacity railway (represented by a road in the map data). The presence of these mines is represented by the addition of a new base, Sawahloento, in hex 19,50.
3. Most of the trail between Padang and Medan, along the West coast of Sumatra, has been removed.
4. Samah (hex 37,41), on the island of Hainan, is not rugged enough to be a mountain hex, so it has been changed to "forest".
5. Takao (hex 47,45), on the island of Formosa, is not rugged enough to be a mountain hex. so it has been changed to cultivated (clear).
6. Parts of Eastern China, between Canton and Shanghai, have been changed to forest terrain to represent the ruggedness of the terrain in this area. Several trails have also been added here.
7. A few more clear hexes in Eastern China have been converted to cultivated hexes.
8. Hex 53,33, in Northeastern China, is now a forest hex.
9. A new Soviet port, Nikolaevsk, has been added in hex 76,26, at the mouth of the Amur river.
10. An "oil pipeline" has been added between Nikolaevsk and Komsomolsk. This pipeline is represented in the map data as a road. Oil from the base of Okha, on Sakhalin Island, will move to the adjacent port of Nikolaevsk, thence along the "pipeline" to Komsomolsk, from which it can be transported to other Soviet bases. This oil will be used by the Soviet bases with HI to generate supply points, although with some losses of oil during the transfer process. This will also prevent oil points from building up endlessly at the Okha base.
11. Two islands have been added in the Pacific, as part of the Cook Islands - Aitutaki (102,126) and Penhryn Island (111,114).
12. The railway between Skagway and Whitehorse has been downgraded to a "low capacity" railway (road).
13. the road inland from Bandjermasin (hex 27,64), on Borneo, has been downgraded from road to trail.
14. Lamon Bay (hex 44,52) is now connected to hex 43,53 by trail.
15. The rivers on the East coast of Sumatra have been aligned more accurately.

I am now kicking myself because I forgot to add some revisions to Burma (in the Akyab area) that I intended to do. Oh well.

I should have the scenario conversions done in the next few days, along with the alternative maps and the website update.

Andrew
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

I am now kicking myself because I forgot to add some revisions to Burma (in the Akyab area) that I intended to do. Oh well.

So, who is hurrying you?[8D]

el cid again

Post by el cid again »

The map is not yet "officialy" released because I haven't generated the scenarios yet, but here is the list of changes:

I do not have the slightest difficulty running any map with any scenario - even the "wrong" map actually works - it just is not fun to look at. IF you run ANY scenario for Andrew Brown's Extended Map from past CHS - or from RHS - this map should work perfectly. Similarly, you should be able to run Andrew's new scenarios using the RHS map. Many of the changes outlined by Andrew appear on the RHS map - although we differ in terminology (I call the transportation route down the Amur river a "ferry" instead of a "pipeline" - and I tell you about it in art in the form of LCF = low capacity ferry) and degree (my "ferry" is a trail - mostly - instead of a road). These changes are in many cases artistic interpretations - I feel the highest mountains in East Asia (on Taiwan - 8000 feet) are significant barriors - but then I have seen them - which may bias my opinion. Andrew and I collaborate quietly on a regular basis - and having been coached by Cobra - I now can say after extensive testing that you have choices:

AS LONG AS you run a pwhex file in sync with the art files:

you can run ANY scenario you like with an appropriate map. The critical differences lie in the location file - which automatically loads with the scenario. Essentially, there are these options:

run a regular map with a stock scenario - either Andrew Brown's original map or the stock map

run an extended map with a CHS scenario for the EXTENDED map - or RHS. [RHS ONLY has the extended map option - I am such a big fan of the extended map I do not understand why anyone would ever not use it?] You can run the old Andrew Brown's Extended Map, the new one, or the RHS map now out, or the one with Cobra's satellite imagery (soon to release) - doesen't matter - all should work with any scenario for an extended map.

Halsey

Post by Halsey »

I don't care for the extened map because if you utilize it you need even MORE houserules.[:D]

Return to “Scenario Design”