Delay Orders

Panther Games' Highway to the Reich revolutionizes wargaming with its pausable, continuous time game play and advanced artificial intelligence. Command like a real General, under real time pressures to achieve real objectives on a real map all within the fog of war. Issue orders to your powerful AI controlled subordinates or take total control of every unit. Fight the world's most advanced AI opponent or match wits against your friends online or over a LAN. Highway to the Reich covers all four battles from Operation Market Garden, including Arnhem, Nijmegen, Eindhoven and the 30th Corps breakout from Neerpelt.

Moderator: Arjuna

Deathtreader

Delay Orders

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi all,

Am currently playing the allies in the Dutch Delay at Deest scenario...... figured this is tailor made to tryout the Delay order. Can't seem to get it to work properly (several restarts here). All units are initially dug in & set to aggro=high, ROF=rapid, and losses=high with multiple fallback positions. After prolonged combat the Dutch "cav" unit messages its pulling back to the next position but never does. This is inevitably followed shortly by the have exceeded loss threshhold message. I've then changed its parameters to min. rapid, and min but it still stands & is destroyed. I've also tried re-issuing the delay order at that point with new min. settings & guess what --- it still refuses to withdraw even though it has messaged its intent to do so. I've even tried issuing withdraw orders at min. settings (as in run for your lives levels) but no dice, it fights on to oblivion. This is then followed by the 3rd Reg. combat team at a subsequent blocking position falling back as soon as it even spots a German unit even though its also set to high, rapid, and high and is also dugin. Both events have happened repeatedly over the course of several playings. What am I doing wrong?? I don't think so but is there some hardcoding happening??
What "exactly" should be done when:
1/ A unit says its moving back to the next blocking point but doesn't.(and you want it to)
2/ A unit says its exceeded its loss threshold and you want it to get out of there pronto.

Thanks in advance

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
MarkShot

RE: Delay Orders

Post by MarkShot »

Delay was one of the orders that received extensive reworking in COTA. It quite possibly was less than functional in HTTR. However, having played everything, I think, you can certain get done what you need with the old standbys like defend and attack.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
James Sterrett

Post by James Sterrett »

Also, high aggro and max losses are counterproductive with the delay order - it encourages units *not* to fall back.
Murky71

Post by Murky71 »

I've been fiddling about with this for a bit and find that on normal settings (normal aggro and losses) the delay order works as I would expect. The unit does move back when it says so. Is the retreat path for the delaying unit clear when the message that it will be falling back appears?

GMT +1
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

ORIGINAL: Murky71

I've been fiddling about with this for a bit and find that on normal settings (normal aggro and losses) the delay order works as I would expect. The unit does move back when it says so. Is the retreat path for the delaying unit clear when the message that it will be falling back appears?

Hi,

As far as I know the path is clear, but who knows what hasn't been spotted. Interesting that when you use the normal settings it seems to work for you....... I found that they basically ran as soon as they got a whiff of the enemy at those settings. Thats one reason I went to the higher ones -- and naturally got the opposite result -- fight to the last bullet. I'm relieved the order has been re-worked for COTA. I'm a little concerned though that adjusting the losses & aggro paremeters for the existing order does not appear to work either with or without orders delay. It would seem that a new order with new settings had to be issued but I'm still playing around with that.
Thanks for the response! [:)]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Return to “Highway to the Reich”