X3 Reunion Surprisingly good.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

ravinhood

X3 Reunion Surprisingly good.

Post by ravinhood »

Well I broke down and bought a few items for christmas, might have told you already. Got X3 Reunion, HTTR and Korsun Pocket. HTTR and Korsun Pocket are still in their shipping packages, lol, I don't know if they are inside the boxes or not.

I ripped open X3 Reunion and downloaded the 1.02.01 patch and began the game. Very open ended universe with an excellent fluctuating economy based on supply and demand and an empire builder to boot. You can build factories and freighters, both universal and local and space military armada's. There's over 150 sectors to explore an in a weeks time I've only uncovered 50 of them.

X3 Reunion has been getting all my playtime lately. It's like Life in space now after patch 1.3 a never ending game really. You just live out your alterior life in this space world with new wars heated up, invasions from Xenons, Pirates and Khaaks (pronounced cocks) hehe You build up empires and the AI tries to tear them down, you build up defenses and the AI tries to hit you where you ain't. You spend BILLIONS of credits that will take you weeks to get if not months to aquire haha and you'll do all this starting out with a small fighter ship and 108 cargo spaces. Many of which will be taken up by your weapons and shields right off the bat. I've spent a week on it and got 27 million credits before patch 1.3 that really ripped open a new part of the game with "invasions from Xemars" Xenons everywhere, pirates invade, khaaks invade, your whole empire obliterated in a massive invasion that only movies could do justice better. But, this is only to rebalance the game from 1.2 which had hardly any ai activity. They eventually slow down and go to a normal invasion way of life, but, this initial invasion is just something to behold. People that get the game and install patch 1.3 right off the bat will miss some of the most exciting (and for some, most frustrating) fun of the entire game, watching 100's of AI ships just plow through your sectors and tear your empire to pieces. lol

The official site forum is down for some reason after this 1.3 patch. Lol I wonder why? Before it went down you could read the screams of the masses, I even jumped in at first cause this invasion just wiped me out. I had 3 Universal traders (they automatically trade for you throughout the entire explored galaxy which is really kewl income), 6 local freighters ( 4 which were energy gathers for my Swamp WEED factory and my BoGas factory, the other 2 were the ones that would fly around and sell my goods that my factories produced). This part of the game trading is quite fun. But, each ship costs at least a million credits and these factories were over 500,000 credits each, plus the cost to hire a computer AI Large Transport Ship to deliver them to the sector I wanted to build them. Anyways I HAD all this stuff after a weeks play. Lotsa hours of flying/trading and running from mediocre pirate or khaak attacks. Then patch 1.3 comes out. I download it since it fixes some major lag and graphical slow down issues. And I swear the DEVS decided to have a ball with everyone with this patch, cause this patch invasion force is rediclously monsterous in size and make the borg look like childs play from Star Trek.

Of course this patch was intended to do what it did, rebalance the game to what it should be by the amount of time you've already put into it if you played the 1.02.01 version. That was hard to accept at first, but, now I can see reasoning behind it. I shoudn't be as far advanced as I am already is the point of the massive invasion. It wasn't intended to be that way, but, of course just like all publishers, they released the game before it was ready. Now everyone that's a main trader like me is/was complaining about the patch being too harsh. But, there's guys with BILLIONS of credits and over 400 factories and they certainly weren't suppose to be THAT far into the game already. It's suppose to be a living thriving waring empire building trying to survive universe. I would of just loved to have seen the size of the invasion force on some of those players with 100's of hours of gameplay. lol They were screaming the loudest and of course the fragfesters were loving the new patch. You'll get plenty of fighting now along with a more balanced advance in trading and building an empire.

This one goes on my recommended list of games if you like games like Elite, Privateer and Freelancer. This one has a story, but, you never have to touch it to get true value out of the empire builder itself. I did two missions and said fark it, playing empire builder was/is more fun. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Tomus

RE: X3 Reunion Surprisingly good.

Post by Tomus »

Is the invasion triggered at some point in the story line. I have slowly been going through the game, but haven't yet got to this point and I haven't upgraded to 1.3 should I just stick with where I am at the moment and not bother installing the patch?
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

The invasion is part of patch 1.3 (One of those items ommited in the official release). There is no AI really in the versions up to 1.02.01, the AI comes alive in 1.3

It's best to patch it in now so you won't be in for culture shock when you see so many AI ships flying around you never saw before and in major fleets as well. And it doesn't last forever, this initial invasion is for all of those who've been playing it awhile. If you aren't too advanced or have a very high rank you won't encounter a lot of it. If you are at the galaxies edges, you will encounter Ghengis Khan of space. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

WOW!

Thanks Ravinhood this game sounds good, ordering now!

EDIT-Quick question is this an expansion pack or a full game?
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Thought I read somewhere it had Starforce, or is that only the Euro version?

Edit - OK according to http://www.similarities.org/starforce.html it is only the Euro version that has it.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
P_DEX

Post by P_DEX »

I'm not so sure about that elmo...

I went into my local Wal-Mart (in Mississippi) a few weeks ago and browsed through the PC games there. Found an X3 box, turned it over, and saw that little red box near the recommended specs that says (and I'm paraphrasing) "This has software that could cause your DVD and/or CDRW burners to crap out...you have been warned." Fair warning to all those who may want to buy it. :)

I for one have no plans to buy anything that has Starforce on it...either now or in the future. And that bums me out because there are some great games that I would love to have. But I'm not risking it.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Ok, thanks. I guess it's caveat emptor re: Starforce.

I browsed some of the main thread on the 1.3 patch that was just released (it's 24 pages already!). Very weird. A lot of people are praising the patch for fixing problems and making the game run smoother. A lot of people are damning the patch for making the game lag terribly and for the addition of tons of asteroids that make navigation brutal. You wouldn't even think they are all talking about the same patch.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
jvgfanatic

Post by jvgfanatic »

I can't wait to dis all over this game and the company that makes it as ravinhood has done with so many games and companies that I enjoy. [:D]
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

lol Jvg, well I didn't say it was for "everyone" like a fanboi would do. I just said it was "surprisingly good" to me. :) So, dis away, I don't get upset like you fanbois do. ;)

ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Thought I read somewhere it had Starforce, or is that only the Euro version?

Edit - OK according to http://www.similarities.org/starforce.html it is only the Euro version that has it.

Elmo 3 you are correct is does have Starforce v6 in it. But, this one isn't farking with my cdrom like v1 did from Gangland. I've run the Nero burning test and my cdrom didn't stop reading after using Nero like it did with v1. That was my biggest issue with Starforce, farking with my cdroms and making them not work correctly, especially reading. They also wouldn't read backup copies of games, but, v6 does. So, they've apparently improved it at least as far as cdrom issues goes. I don't know if the game removes Starforce protection when "uninstalled" that was another issue gamers had. I don't want to uninstall my game to find out just yet though. ;) Having to much fun.

And Qwerty, many that have X2 say this isn't much different from X2, just a graphics update and some special effects, some even say it doesn't have as much as X2, so, if you already have X2, then you might not want to get X3 just now, wait for a bargain bin price. I never bought an X universe game before, so, it's all new to me. This empire building though and the ability to make armadas of ships and control them is quite fun though. The invasions aren't so much fun when they center around you. lol Of course the graphics are great and you need a pretty good system to run the game without fps loss (lotsa asteroids now). So, it's not for everyone, but, it runs ok on my old system so I can't complain about system issues like some are.

jvgfanatic

Post by jvgfanatic »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

lol Jvg, well I didn't say it was for "everyone" like a fanboi would do. I just said it was "surprisingly good" to me. :) So, dis away, I don't get upset like you fanbois do. ;)

lol, fan-bwah, indeed, now-now there is no need for name-calling--we are such a label-happy people aren't we--but I'll take the title of almost any kind of 'boy.' I thought I was much too old for that. It's no wonder things degrade so quickly around here into discussions of disgusting sandwiches.
Reiryc

Post by Reiryc »

ORIGINAL: jvgfanatic

I can't wait to dis all over this game and the company that makes it as ravinhood has done with so many games and companies that I enjoy. [:D]

[&o]

Haha! Good on ya!
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

It's fan(bois) not fan(boy), there's a complete different conotation and enunciation of the word from the one you suggest. I wouldn't call anyone a "boy", that would be possibly derogatory and degrading. (bois in my definition) is a genre of people who are fans to the point of fanatisism over something, someone, even a game. I made it up myself, maybe Webster will put it in his slang dictionary someday. I am definitely not one that "follows the crowd". I tend to find my own words and meanings for things instead of following the pied pipers. Thus my strict critiques of most games. I will not sugar coat any of them and will gladly tell you any negatives about them I know either at the forefront or if asked about. ;)

EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

Mm.

I bought X and X2, as I loved Elite, Freelancer, Privateer and all those, but X and X2 were just bad, bad games, IMHO. Nowhere near Privateer.

I did look at X3 and ended up buying FEAR instead (what a waste. Completed it in about two days of play, and I reckon HL2 was better). Now pondering whether to go back with some of my christmas cash and buy X3 as well. [:D]
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Well if you didn't like X or X2, you're probably not going ot like X3. It's been stated it's just a reskin of X2 better graphics, you know the spill. What I'd like to see is a Freelancer with some of the X series features like flucuating economy and empire building. The combat engine of Freelancer is by far better than in X3, in X3 it's too much like having to fly the real thing. For me hard to hit things.

EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

Well if you didn't like X or X2, you're probably not going ot like X3. It's been stated it's just a reskin of X2 better graphics, you know the spill. What I'd like to see is a Freelancer with some of the X series features like flucuating economy and empire building. The combat engine of Freelancer is by far better than in X3, in X3 it's too much like having to fly the real thing. For me hard to hit things.

Looks like I'll be waiting for Elite 4 then for the Ultimate Game.

Probably until the end of time, unfortunately. [:(]
jvgfanatic

Post by jvgfanatic »

It's fan(bois) not fan(boy), there's a complete different conotation and enunciation of the word from the one you suggest. I wouldn't call anyone a "boy", that would be possibly derogatory and degrading. (bois in my definition) is a genre of people who are fans to the point of fanatisism over something, someone, even a game. I made it up myself, maybe Webster will put it in his slang dictionary someday. I am definitely not one that "follows the crowd". I tend to find my own words and meanings for things instead of following the pied pipers. Thus my strict critiques of most games. I will not sugar coat any of them and will gladly tell you any negatives about them I know either at the forefront or if asked about. ;)

So label-happy he defends the creation of his own labels by saying he doesn't "follow the crowd" and has the audacity to suggest Webster might be interested. Where does your ego stop, ravinhood? What makes you think you aren't part of the crowd of semi-intelligent, self-important, tiresome complainers who seem to get some catharsis out of spewing whatever criticism crosses their minds on message boards? There are plenty of you. Hmm, methinks we need a label. [;)]

PS: That isn't to say I don't appreciate your honesty and (sometimes) accuracy when critiquing games.

Return to “General Discussion”