WWII (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition

StratMan -> WWII (2/4/2001 12:22:00 AM)

Storm over Europe. A new and completely free module for Aide De Camp 2, Most grodnard wargame enthusiast's started the hobby/addiction playing board games. Aide De Camp 2 is a piece of software that allows the board and all playing pieces to be displayed on the PC, so you cannot accidently knock it over or some domestic animal to run over it, probably the biggest downfall of any board game. another major disadvantage was finding players that could get together on a regular basis to play the game. Then came PBEM, and I am sure it was sent by the Lord God Almighty himself. ADC2 supports fully, PBEM. Storm over Europe is WWII in Europe, from the Urals to Portugal, from Northern Norway all the way south to Tunisia,Egypt, even Uran and Iraq are displayed. The scale is 30Km or 17 miles to the hex, which is close to the scale of Wir. All Sea zones are incorperated except the Pacific and the players have the abillity to manufacture whatever they chose, providing of course you are not trying to produce Tiger's in 1939. The game starts just before the German invasion of Poland and from this point on, decisions and strategy's are down to the players. I am very interested in playing this game, posible even a team game, not sure. You can find information and DL this game from < http://jamesburnett.com/gameroom.htm Click on the icon for Storm over Europe and away you go. Any one interested, give me a shout. The StratMan.

Optha -> (2/4/2001 3:48:00 AM)

Does anyone distibute it in Europe?

RickyB -> (2/4/2001 4:20:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Optha: Does anyone distibute it in Europe?
Storm Over Europe is just a download from the listed site - it isn't distributed by anyone. However, you also need Aide De Camp II from HPS at www.hpssims.com, or through resellers where it is usually a little cheaper. I only have the demo for ADC and have looked at SOE - it is definitely the mother of all wargames and looks really good, but ADC requires you to carry out all the rules enforcement - it just track units and certain states, but no movement, supply or combat. Not like a computer game, so keep that in mind for what you want to do. ------------------ Rick Bancroft Semper Fi

StratMan -> (2/4/2001 7:58:00 AM)

Yeah RickyB is correct, ADC2 has no AI and does not implement any rules, that is upto the players. The rules are a little complex at first but I believe the learning curve is more than acceptable. ADC2 has full replay, and it is possible and advisible to include a short written report with most moves/combats so the enemy knows exactly how you came accross the results, it is simple enough and sounds a lot more time comsuming than it really is. Also ADC2 has its own dice routines which are used during play and are recorded every time action occurs, which helps to eliminate cheating. But what's the point of cheating anyhow???? Although the rules are in-depth they are not beyond comprehension and do not take to long to learn. I would love a computer game of this magnetude but according to 3by2games, although they have dicussed the prospect of designing such a game, they have no plans to actually start work on it in the forseeable future, which is a real shame. So in the mean time if anyone is interested in playing WWII in Europe, this is the only simulation available at present, and it is good. As RickyB says "it is definitely the mother of all wargames". You will need to purchase ADC2, I did not buy mine direct from HPS, I e-mailed them and asked where in England I could buy it. Cannot find the invoice at the moment, but I received it just three days after ordering. Check out ADC2 anyway as there are hundreds and hundreds of free modules ready for DL and hundreds more available for a price. Most excellant man. The StratMan. There has to be some grodnards here at Matrix, surely????

RickyB -> (2/4/2001 8:09:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by StratMan: Yeah RickyB is correct, ADC2 has no AI and does not implement any rules, that is upto the players. The rules are a little complex at first but I believe the learning curve is more than acceptable. ADC2 has full replay, and it is possible and advisible to include a short written report with most moves/combats so the enemy knows exactly how you came accross the results, it is simple enough and sounds a lot more time comsuming than it really is. Also ADC2 has its own dice routines which are used during play and are recorded every time action occurs, which helps to eliminate cheating. But what's the point of cheating anyhow???? Although the rules are in-depth they are not beyond comprehension and do not take to long to learn. I would love a computer game of this magnetude but according to 3by2games, although they have dicussed the prospect of designing such a game, they have no plans to actually start work on it in the forseeable future, which is a real shame. So in the mean time if anyone is interested in playing WWII in Europe, this is the only simulation available at present, and it is good. As RickyB says "it is definitely the mother of all wargames". You will need to purchase ADC2, I did not buy mine direct from HPS, I e-mailed them and asked where in England I could buy it. Cannot find the invoice at the moment, but I received it just three days after ordering. Check out ADC2 anyway as there are hundreds and hundreds of free modules ready for DL and hundreds more available for a price. Most excellant man. The StratMan. There has to be some grodnards here at Matrix, surely????
StratMan, I am still debating whether to get into SOE or not. I have been reading the rules and checking out the setup, and it looks great, but it looks like a complete time hog. What I like is it is based quite a bit on the Europa series of games, which were the last boardgames I ever bought and played, and my favorites ever. I really like the added strategic level things, especially production ala War in Europe from SPI, which I loved from them. Have you played SOE much yet? If so, how do the turns play out, including how quicly? Maybe this will knock me off the fence and make me get ADC myself. Thanks for whatever info you can give us. ------------------ Rick Bancroft Semper Fi

StratMan -> (2/4/2001 9:09:00 AM)

I am not fluent with the rules yet myself, but there is a lot of interesting ideas in them, I am about to suggest to Highlander and Jim Bragg that they develope a run through, ie. A turn by turn account of the test game that is currently running, this would I am sure improve player learning abillity ten-fold. Have you read any of the monthly accounts of the progress of there game, pretty good reading and certainly worth the time. At present I have not had a great deal of free time and therefor have not had the time to play solo but during the course of next week I should have more than a few hours to dedicate to exploring this monster properly. One thing that strikes me is that you say you have played the Europa series, well the rules are in my understanding fairly simular so yu should take to it like a duck to water, I have not had the pleasure of playing the series so expect it to be a little more dificult to understand at first. I did not hesitate on my decision to buy ADC2. there really is a huge amount of modules that have been developed for ADC2, and a lot of available players, I seem to remember seeing the Europa series are now modules, could be wrong but don't think so. It is up to you at the end of the day, but if you do decide to try it out, I'll crash through it with you. I am led to understand that one busy turn will take on average 2-3 hours to do, but this can be separated by as many saves as you like, it is a large undertaking, but one I believe will be more than worth the cost. ------------------ StratMan [This message has been edited by StratMan (edited February 03, 2001).]

RickyB -> (2/4/2001 12:43:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by StratMan: It is up to you at the end of the day, but if you do decide to try it out, I'll crash through it with you. I am led to understand that one busy turn will take on average 2-3 hours to do, but this can be separated by as many saves as you like, it is a large undertaking, but one I believe will be more than worth the cost.
Thanks. I will continue looking over the rules and let you know something in a week or two, if you haven't found someone else to try this already. Or it would be perfect for three people, although the Soviet side would be pretty slow for awhile. My problem right now is from working on the WIR update for Matrix, doing playtesting and scenario stuff, which is getting wrapped up now and will probably take quite a bit of time here until then. Thanks again. ------------------ Rick Bancroft Semper Fi [This message has been edited by RickyB (edited February 04, 2001).]

StratMan -> (2/5/2001 5:36:00 PM)

Yeah, I look forward to playing the latest version of WiR. Talking of which I have several turns to play and send out today. however if you think the latest version will be released in the next couple of weeks I may ask my opponents to await the new, as we are only two or three turns into the 41 campaign I think it would be a good idea. I am going to also start a game today of SoE and play by myself, something that my wife says I do very, err, never mind. When you are ready I would be pleased to play against you, SoE has just gone through some rule ammendments and also has a FAQ on line now which is also very helpful. Hope to see you on the battle field soon. The StratMan.

RickyB -> (2/5/2001 10:27:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by StratMan: Yeah, I look forward to playing the latest version of WiR. Talking of which I have several turns to play and send out today. however if you think the latest version will be released in the next couple of weeks I may ask my opponents to await the new, as we are only two or three turns into the 41 campaign I think it would be a good idea. I am going to also start a game today of SoE and play by myself, something that my wife says I do very, err, never mind. When you are ready I would be pleased to play against you, SoE has just gone through some rule ammendments and also has a FAQ on line now which is also very helpful. Hope to see you on the battle field soon. The StratMan.
I would recommend holding off on the WIR games. I finished, in a burst of sleeplessness, updating all three 1942 scenarios yesterday with some changes, both big and small, so that is done (all the others have been updated for awhile now). We received an update yesterday also, and the one big bug in the prior test version is fixed, so we just want to play a little to look for any new bugs and it will be ready to go - I am aiming for Tuesday to say it looks good, or a new big bug is in there. I saw the updated rules for SOE - I will be looking them over and make the ADC decision, which based on your eagerness I would say is likely, as I have spent too much time playing monster wargames by myself too, and I have collected ADC sets for a number of them already. ------------------ Rick Bancroft Semper Fi

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.757813E-02