Carrier Platoons? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Highway to the Reich

ham1sh -> Carrier Platoons? (3/4/2004 12:53:00 PM)

There seem to be no carrier platoons in the estabs.

Carrier platoons were part of the 1944 Infantry Battalion establishment, and part of theSupport Company. Typically, there were 13 carriers in the platoon, each armed with a Bren, and commanded by a Captain. The platoon gave the Battalion commander a mobile force for reconnaissance etc.

Good link on carriers. .
http://members.shaw.ca/calgaryhighlanders/carriers.htm

Really like the game!

Arjuna -> RE: Carrier Platoons? (3/4/2004 2:21:17 PM)

These have been integrated into the line companies.

JudgeDredd -> RE: Carrier Platoons? (3/4/2004 2:28:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ham1sh

There seem to be no carrier platoons in the estabs.

Carrier platoons were part of the 1944 Infantry Battalion establishment, and part of theSupport Company. Typically, there were 13 carriers in the platoon, each armed with a Bren, and commanded by a Captain. The platoon gave the Battalion commander a mobile force for reconnaissance etc.

Good link on carriers. .
http://members.shaw.ca/calgaryhighlanders/carriers.htm

Really like the game!

13 carriers in a platoon?? [X(] Really that many?[&:] I'd have thought that number was more in line with a Company.

EricGuitarJames -> RE: Carrier Platoons? (3/4/2004 3:20:50 PM)

As ever, sources conflict on this matter[8|]. Apart from the given source, I have a figure of 12 'carriers' - but not directly attached to the battalion HQ and another that gives a figure of 25 - but this may include other transports. This kind of thing would frustrate your average historian so I dread to think of what effect this has on game designers, especially those who try to create as 'realistic' a game as possible.

RayWolfe -> RE: Carrier Platoons? (3/4/2004 3:53:10 PM)

A source in which I have much confidence, Mark Bevis, shows four sections each with:
3 X Carrier
three LMG
one PIAT
one 2 mortar
one rifle section
plus
a platoon HQ with:
one X Carrier
one Daimler S/C
one LMG

Total Carriers 13.

This is from his latest offering British & Commonwealth Armies 1944-45 Published by Helion.

Ray

ham1sh -> RE: Carrier Platoons? (3/4/2004 4:58:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

These have been integrated into the line companies.

Going through the estabs for British line formations, I can't find any reference to carriers, are they perhaps under a different name??

Grouchy -> RE: Carrier Platoons? (3/4/2004 5:25:40 PM)

Have you scrolled through the Mech Inf Coy Gp's? They got 50/48/30 carriers when at 100%

Golf33 -> RE: Carrier Platoons? (3/5/2004 12:47:00 AM)

Each Inf Coy Gp (non-mot) has 6 Bren Carriers; these are made up of 3 x Carrier Platoon carriers, and IIRC (it's a while since I revised that estab) 3 x AT Platoon carriers towing the 6-pdr AT guns.

Regards

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI