Selecting units via Unit report (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

BigDuke66 -> Selecting units via Unit report (2/14/2019 6:49:48 AM)

Is there a way to select a unit via the unit report?
When I use the next/previous unit buttons the unit shown in the unit report is not selected, that is unlike the formation report where next/previous formation buttons always select the first unit of the formation.

Cabido -> RE: Selecting units via Unit report (2/14/2019 4:10:29 PM)

True.

Some very simple tweaks would improve the interface a lot. One simple thing would be to prevent the formation report from closing when selecting a unit. The game should just shift the focus to the unit and select it. We would need to click ok to close the window, but checking the position of each unit on a formation would be as simple as selecting them subsequently. If there is a way to do it, please tell me.

Cabido -> RE: Selecting units via Unit report (2/26/2019 9:03:36 PM)

I'll just place three further suggestions to interface simple improvement.

1. A formation window mimicking the group composition window. To be able to view all counters on the formation is more intuitive than the present formation report (which could be kept also). It is easier to distinguish the counter type and we have attack/defense strength separated.

2.. The ability to scroll the map with the keyboard arrows while a window is open. This would allow to check location of units while keeping a report open, to check for places while reading the briefing, etc.

3. The ability to display hex coordinates (a on/off switch) or, at least, to allow the status bar to display location coordinates while keeping a window open, which would combine with the ability to scroll the map to make the coordinate info in some reports useful. As it is, you have to close the window before scrolling the map while hovering the mouse over the hexes or press B in order to find a location.

larryfulkerson -> RE: Selecting units via Unit report (2/27/2019 12:09:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cabido
I'll just place three further suggestions to interface simple improvement.

1. A formation window mimicking the group composition window. To be able to view all counters on the formation is more intuitive than the present formation report (which could be kept also). It is easier to distinguish the counter type and we have attack/defense strength separated.

2.. The ability to scroll the map with the keyboard arrows while a window is open. This would allow to check location of units while keeping a report open, to check for places while reading the briefing, etc.

3. The ability to display hex coordinates (a on/off switch) or, at least, to allow the status bar to display location coordinates while keeping a window open, which would combine with the ability to scroll the map to make the coordinate info in some reports useful. As it is, you have to close the window before scrolling the map while hovering the mouse over the hexes or press B in order to find a location.

I like all three of those suggestions. +1. Also, it would be really cool if you could click on an item in the inventory report and get a list of the formations that have that equipment in their unit. Saves having to open every unit that might have it and take a look. Hide and seek.

altipueri -> RE: Selecting units via Unit report (2/27/2019 6:22:55 AM)

And another thing :)

How do I stop the mouse scrolling the map? Every time I go top left I overshoot and the darn map moves.

gliz2 -> RE: Selecting units via Unit report (2/27/2019 9:09:45 AM)

Ahhhh... A wishing well ;)

Make the movments quick. Skip the animation or whatever is causing 12 hexes move of stack to drag for half a minute.
I know: hit space and move. Still this is not ideal (you see no counters).

Shadrach -> RE: Selecting units via Unit report (2/27/2019 12:11:07 PM)

I think the Unit Report next/prev buttons are bugged and not working as intended. The new unit is actually selected, but the circle showing what unit is selected is not updated, which is very confusing.

In my opinion all of these reports should be made modeless as much as technically possible, so the player can move them around and still interact with the map and units. For instance the Group Composition report would be a massive help in quickly seeing what units are in a stacked hex.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_(user_interface)

The position of these reports should also be saved so they show up in the same place on load.

Gliz2: I always hold down Shift or press CapsLock when doing a lot of routine movement, I think it sets the movement animation delay to 0, and speeds things up a bit.

Lobster -> RE: Selecting units via Unit report (2/27/2019 3:16:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gliz2

Ahhhh... A wishing well ;)

Make the movments quick. Skip the animation or whatever is causing 12 hexes move of stack to drag for half a minute.
I know: hit space and move. Still this is not ideal (you see no counters).

I've noticed with sound effects off it goes a bit quicker.

gliz2 -> RE: Selecting units via Unit report (2/27/2019 5:28:30 PM)

Yes, therefore even in older HoMM3 unit can move zippy without any animations. Just another example of original lazy programming.

larryfulkerson -> RE: Selecting units via Unit report (2/27/2019 6:40:34 PM)

If you're letting Elmer play Elmer, I have a
suspecision that minimizing the window might
make it go faster too.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.050781E-02