First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Piercing Fortress Europa

KarlXII -> First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ? (7/13/2018 7:30:40 PM)

I like both theaters but have never played a WEGO system based game. Any recommendations about the games ? There are few reviews available for Piercing Fortress Europe.

pkpowers -> RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ? (7/16/2018 2:16:28 PM)

to me , PFE is more playable than DW. Also PFE shows logistics/airpower in an abstract yet perfect way.

Alan Sharif -> RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ? (7/16/2018 4:51:44 PM)

I second that. This is a better game to start with. Ultimately, get both! [:)]

KarlXII -> RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ? (7/16/2018 5:42:13 PM)

Good! I bought PFE because it has the long campaign before Desert War 1940-1942.

Yogi the Great -> RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ? (7/16/2018 7:57:55 PM)

Enjoy - it is one of those games that sadly too few have taken a chance on but is a real gem. I agree with the others that Desert War is more complicated and PFE is more manageable and easier to get into. Give it a little time as it is different from most games but you should be able to get the hang of it fairly easily.

Rasputitsa -> RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ? (7/16/2018 8:42:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KarlXII

Good! I bought PFE because it has the long campaign before Desert War 1940-1942.

I haven't commented because, although I have bought 'Desert War', I have not played it more than a few exploratory turns and could not really compare.

Now you have PFE you will find it a very individual game, not easy to transfer experience from other titles.

The balance of supply over fuel, issuing combat supply to units and effects of ZOC are all important decisions with little guidance, it's a matter of trying different combinations. It can be difficult finding the right balance.

There are some glitches in the game, but I hope that the forum discussion will highlight these issues.

pzgndr -> RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ? (7/19/2018 2:38:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa
important decisions with little guidance, it's a matter of trying different combinations. It can be difficult finding the right balance.

Which is a very accurate portrayal of real-life warfare! And some folks wonder how wars can be so easily mismanaged, without any benefit of hindsight and analysis by military experts. Which, of course, makes playing Frank Hunter's games so much more interesting!

Rasputitsa -> RE: First time buyer of WEGO system. Fortress Europe or Desert War ? (7/29/2018 7:05:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa
important decisions with little guidance, it's a matter of trying different combinations. It can be difficult finding the right balance.

Which is a very accurate portrayal of real-life warfare! And some folks wonder how wars can be so easily mismanaged, without any benefit of hindsight and analysis by military experts. Which, of course, makes playing Frank Hunter's games so much more interesting!

Frank does have a talent for getting to the essence and 'feel' of each campaign, makes it more than just operating a game system and playing the odds.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.757813E-02