CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports

larryfulkerson -> CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/9/2018 2:15:32 PM)

I made a modification to CSV which was that I lowered the AA leathiality from 50% to 20% and I thought maybe I should post the scenario here below so you guys can check out the change I made.

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/9/2018 2:53:24 PM)

I've been trying to create a challenge for Ian and me with me as the Allies and the "no borders" switch turned OFF and it's been no joy so far. I checked the game options twice and made sure it was OFF before I created the challenge. So now I'm wondering if it's always going to be on. Maybe when Ian is loading it, it gets turned on somehow.

Note to Ian, if during your turn the "no borders" gets turned ON it's a busted game.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/F894F9582CB645BA91B1F46733C1DE17.jpg[/image]

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/9/2018 2:58:29 PM)

Okie dokie I'll document this so I can prove it's a bug. Step one is to click on the "create a challenge" button.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/5FF61D0B26454290B75041F5B1158A16.jpg[/image]

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/9/2018 3:03:00 PM)

Next, I scroll down to my custom scenario and chose to play the NLF side and check the "no borders" switch [ next post ].

[image]local://upfiles/16287/E82B7C32CD424882947B7B9BF9FD23D6.jpg[/image]

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/9/2018 3:05:38 PM)

For some reason the status line is blank in the previous image so I'm doing it again to show the status line showing that I'm asking for the NLF side.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/24A81920F1D54C528848B6E33A27EE18.jpg[/image]

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/9/2018 3:08:02 PM)

And if I click on the Options tab then the switches are available for modification and I make sure that "no borders" is OFF.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/38F32153353440AEBAD0EB4A29385B63.jpg[/image]

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/9/2018 3:11:39 PM)

And here's the created challenge, the one on the bottom row. It's got me playing the Allied side. Now we need to get Ian to accept our challenge to see what the "no borders" switch position is.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/8B753BAD6CCA47EBB3BB17E66AFB4302.jpg[/image]

devoncop -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/9/2018 3:13:45 PM)

Hi Larry

I get an option screen pop up my end before my turn starts. So far I have been ignoring it. I will see what it shows for borders and try and adjust it to show borders on if it has flipped back.

I will wait to get a new challenge up from you.

All the best

ian

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/9/2018 3:21:29 PM)

Ahhhhhh HHHAAaaa......it's created wrong. I asked for "off" and it gave me "on" for some reason. Ian had to override it. This is definately a bug in 4.0.1.23

[image]local://upfiles/16287/CCBF52D5B8F6492EAED0FB92025F35FA.jpg[/image]

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/9/2018 3:26:44 PM)

That fixed it Ian....I'm working on my moves. It's 08:26 local time Monday morning.

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/9/2018 3:36:32 PM)

Here's the condition of the planes so far. They are all green and ready except the Navy planes which are in reserve. I was wrong about when they reactivate....it's T6, not T2. D'oh. The NVA could be in Phu Bai by then. I can expect Ian to use the cover of the monsoon to really get frisky with his NVA divisions up north. He's already started moving the units of at least one division to better positions, some of them are on the trail I think.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/76EEDF8C888E41568AD42A3C26D2C781.jpg[/image]

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/10/2018 3:28:05 PM)

New moves from Ian: I'm watching the playback.
Event 6 sees two VC units down south and I'm thinking that the alert ARVN units nearby might be able to do something about them.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/12D6BD308D434B77B747EFA6BC79E104.jpg[/image]

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/10/2018 3:37:50 PM)

Here's a look at the north right now. I distinctly heard troops marching south on the HCM trail and it persisted long enough for them to enscounce themselves in the mountains to the SW of Phu Bai so the next thing I need to do is deploy the Marines in those mountains to clear the area of bad guys, especially around Da Nang.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/44CC81441D42438DA603F06C313091F4.jpg[/image]

devoncop -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/10/2018 3:52:57 PM)

Turn 2

So this game with "Borders On" is going to need a slightly different strategy from the last one I am thinking.

I need to try and be less predictable with the NVA (no more just moving due south from North Vietnam) and also be more creative with the weak VC units.

Disbandment after territorial gain or some mighty satisfying bridge blowing[:)] will need to be the name of the game in the very early stages and I then need to co-ordinate a wave of arrivals so I can locally try and swamp the provincial defenders.

The advantage of this is that in the early turns at least Larry will have mobilised the Marines ans MACV (and I expect some air assets) with little for them to do......the disadvantage of course is it allows free reign to the ARVN/US to sweep through the 50% of territory that begins VC controlled and re-convert it.

This turn there is some active bridge blowing in the Delta and the NVA get their marching shoes on (thankfully without interdiction)...

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/10/2018 4:10:29 PM)

Without thinking about it twice I drove an ARVN regiment way into Laos toward an enemy supply spot. I was going to capture it and turn off the supply to a lot of enemy units in that area but halfway there it dawned on me what I was doing and stopped moving. I need to back out of there soonest. It's going to be +1 just for violating the soventry of Laos. D'oh. I can't imagine what I was thinking at the time. Maybe that's the problem....I wasn't thinking.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/4CC08C8ACFCC419DBFA5C03A037849EB.jpg[/image]

devoncop -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/10/2018 4:32:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Without thinking about it twice I drove an ARVN regiment way into Laos toward an enemy supply spot. I was going to capture it and turn off the supply to a lot of enemy units in that area but halfway there it dawned on me what I was doing and stopped moving. I need to back out of there soonest. It's going to be +1 just for violating the soventry of Laos. D'oh. I can't imagine what I was thinking at the time. Maybe that's the problem....I wasn't thinking.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/4CC08C8ACFCC419DBFA5C03A037849EB.jpg[/image]

[:D]
[:D]

[:-]....Sometimes unexpected things make me burst out laughing.....this post was one of them.

I believe the ARVN weren't always the most disciplined....an unprovoked invasion of a neutral neighbour probably comes under that category [;)]

devoncop -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/10/2018 8:20:49 PM)

Turn 3

The government in Hanoi decide to try and exploit the outrageous violation of neutrality by the 51st regiment of the 1st ARVN Division which is stuck 25Km inside Laos.

Consequently NVA and VC troops aside from some shelling are ordered to hold the unit in Laos rather than destroy it whilst the world's TV cameras are invited to see the proof of US imperialism [:)]

Only two VC units arrive this turn so with the US Marine Expeditionary Force now arrived in South Vietnam and ARVN Rangers active there is little the VC can usefully do as yet. Despite last turn's +1 VP for the Viet Cong the overall score is +2 to the Americans reflecting the lack of meaningful VC activity... It is a case of "jam tomorrow" for the VC.

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/10/2018 8:37:12 PM)

It appears that the NVA have killed my ARVN regiment...the one that ventured into Laos. I'm going to have to be more careful. Fortunately the ARVN units respawn but the American ones don't so I'll have to monitor them to make sure they don't go into harm's way without a good reason.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/910A1D67E6A040BC83714164ABE3E6FE.jpg[/image]

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/10/2018 8:48:55 PM)

I got some heavy lift helicopters this turn and I moved 'em by boat to Da Nang and Hoi An so as to be near the Marines. I'd like them heliborne for a while for safety as well as utility. I can cover way more terrain by air then by marching so it makes sense to pay the EEV points for the choppers.

I'll have to see if I can airlift all the Marine assets at one time sometime soon because if I can that would be good to know.

I lost an ARVN regiment from the 1st Division last turn because he wasn't airmobile I think. If he could have gotten to the supply point and snuffed it, maybe he could have flown out the next turn and all it would cost me is +1 for the border violation and I'm pretty sure I can afford that pretty soon. And if I can cause supply difficulties for the NVA and the VC that would be a good thing.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/89222AE96A9A4355B0E1769254A31A58.jpg[/image]

devoncop -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/10/2018 9:39:39 PM)

quote:

It appears that the NVA have killed my ARVN regiment...the one that ventured into Laos. I'm going to have to be more careful. Fortunately the ARVN units respawn but the American ones don't so I'll have to monitor them to make sure they don't go into harm's way without a good reason.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/910A1D67E6A040BC83714164ABE3E6FE.jpg[/image]
I

Thats an interesting one Larry.

I deliberately didn't kill off the 51st though it was reduced in combat strength from a 5-4 to a 3-3 by artillery. I cut it off from supply. I am wondering if ARVN/US units left in Laos at the end of a turn automatically are eliminated? It a shame as my fiendish plan was to trap them there and harvest the VP every turn [;)]

Having said that I guess you would have just disbanded it so it wouldn't have worked. Just thought you should know I didn't wipe it out....

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/10/2018 10:11:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: devoncop
quote:

Thats an interesting one Larry.

I deliberately didn't kill off the 51st though it was reduced in combat strength from a 5-4 to a 3-3 by artillery. I cut it off from supply. I am wondering if ARVN/US units left in Laos at the end of a turn automatically are eliminated? It a shame as my fiendish plan was to trap them there and harvest the VP every turn [;)]

Having said that I guess you would have just disbanded it so it wouldn't have worked. Just thought you should know I didn't wipe it out....

I don't think the scenario or the game engine deletes the Allied units that venture into Laos and I was expecting to have to fly him out of there because where he was and the way you surrounded him I would think he would be out of supply and therefore couldn't disband. I'm intreeged with the idea of a raid on your supply points. I'll have to recon those bad boys and see what's around them before I leap off the cliff that way.

devoncop -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/11/2018 5:37:38 AM)

Turn 4

The slow dribble of VC reinforcements increases slightly but not enough to make enough difference to the VP total yet which ticks up again to +3 to the US despite the Colonel Custer antics of the commander of the 51st ARVN Regiment (deceased).

Only one US attack is made this turn.....an air strike on a VC unit spotted inside Cambodia by Larry. Unfortunately for the Allies ...and fortunately for the VC this turns out to be the CO HQ of the liberation forces in South Vietnam.....one of the very few units with decent AA capability and 4 A-1 Skyraiders are shot down for no VC loss.

Elsewhere some VC pacification satisfyingly takes place in Saigon itself before the agitators melt away into the populace and more bridges are blown. The powerful 1st US Marine Divn is seen arriving in South Vietnam in ever greater force.[&:]

For the second consecutive turn the VC engineers unhelpfully fail to repair the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

The Monsoon helpfully starts.....

Hyding -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/11/2018 6:41:59 AM)

Yes Larry Hoi An (or maybe the air bases near it) is usually my choice for the northern heliport. There are other reasons to provide a garrison (it is a VP site) and it gives llift to everything inthe north except a deep Laotian penetration. At the same time it has deep reach to the south and doesnot interfere with bases scheduled to be used by the arrival of aircraft from 2nd AF or Marine Expeditonary Force planes.

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/11/2018 6:54:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hyding

Yes Larry Hoi An (or maybe the air bases near it) is usually my choice for the northern heliport. There are other reasons to provide a garrison (it is a VP site) and it gives llift to everything inthe north except a deep Laotian penetration. At the same time it has deep reach to the south and doesnot interfere with bases scheduled to be used by the arrival of aircraft from 2nd AF or Marine Expeditonary Force planes.

Hey there William my friend. Thanks for posting your observations and ideas and advice. I appreciate all the advice I can get. Except for maybe Ian...he's got an agenda I'll bet. I've started moving the resting planes to Thailand and when they become combat ready again I have to google the unit designation to see where they were based. I like that kind of detail.

Hyding -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/11/2018 7:53:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: devoncop

Turn 2

So this game with "Borders On" is going to need a slightly different strategy from the last one I am thinking.

I need to try and be less predictable with the NVA (no more just moving due south from North Vietnam) and also be more creative with the weak VC units.

Disbandment after territorial gain or some mighty satisfying bridge blowing[:)] will need to be the name of the game in the very early stages and I then need to co-ordinate a wave of arrivals so I can locally try and swamp the provincial defenders.

The advantage of this is that in the early turns at least Larry will have mobilised the Marines ans MACV (and I expect some air assets) with little for them to do......the disadvantage of course is it allows free reign to the ARVN/US to sweep through the 50% of territory that begins VC controlled and re-convert it.

This turn there is some active bridge blowing in the Delta and the NVA get their marching shoes on (thankfully without interdiction)...

well one important thing you did pick up is it is easier to find Larry's hexes to convert.

it is frustrating as the NFL to get hit with interdiction just looking for ARVN controlled hexes to convert.

Now the best path to a potential victory point hex is always clear to you. Almost any ARVN hex could score for you....Larry has to find the one ones you converted in your last turn. Some are obvious but you can be sneeky and deceptive.

Being able to see all your potential scoring hexes let's you use them efficiently with less chance of being bombed.

You have not yet felt the impact even a third of the potential airpower of the US but don't worry the US really can't afford to have all that airpower on the board for any length of time (or ever). When interdiction levels are high it is nice to know the shortest path to potential scoring hexes instead having to figure out where those hexes are even at.

borders shown has advantages for both sides. When playing the NLF I was always more comfortable playing with borders on. If it was not statistically the best for the NLF I felt it worked for me and I could use it to reduce my losses. I know that the scenario designer Curt Chambers was equally comfortable and competent usingborders on or off.

Hyding -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/11/2018 7:58:52 AM)

Just make sure to move those planes out of Thailand before you activate the 13th AF because those guys will fill all the Thai bases.

devoncop -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/11/2018 8:08:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hyding

well one important thing you did pick up is it is easier to find Larry's hwxes to convert.

it is frustrating as the NFL to get hit with interdiction just looking for ARVN controlled hexes to convert.

Now the best path to a potential victory point hex is always clear to you. Almost any ARVN hex could score for you....Larry has find the one ones you converted in your last turn. Some are obvious but you can be sneeky and deceptive.

Being able to see all your potential scoring hexes let's you use them efficiently with less chance of being bombed.

You have not yet felt the impact even a third of the potential airpower of the US but don't worry the US really can't afford to have all that airpower on the board for any length of time (or ever). When interdiction levels are high it is nice to know the shortest path to potential scoring hexes instead having to figure out where those hexes are even at.

borders shown has advantages for both sides. When playing the NLF I was always more comfortable playing with borders on. If it was not statistically the best for the NLF I felt it worked for me and I could use it to reduce my losses. I know that the scenario designer Curt Chambers equally comfortable and competent usingborders onor off.

Many thanks William

I need all the advice I can get.

In the scenario notes it explicitly points out that for the first two years the VC can usually just hit and run away and certainly in this third attempt I am finding that.

I now have concerns about the Laos and Cambodian supply points so I am going to have to think about protecting them which is a pain [:@]

I have found the main problem with the US airpower to be in CS and Interdiction missions rather than direct strikes but no doubt as Larry calls in 13th AF direct strikes will also be a problem.

For the first time I am now paying attention to the provinces most likely to be sympathetic to VC conversion and also the quality of the ARVN in different provinces. That was why it was especially gratifying to knock out a Reg from the 1st ARVN which is one of the better ARVN Divisions.

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/11/2018 11:20:34 AM)

I like my aircraft units to have at least 4 planes in it before it gets to fly combat missions because I can imagine units having losses as high as three planes per squadron per strike and I don't want to lose the entire unit all at one time. And I don't have any Intruders on hand and I won't start making any until T11 so I flew them to Guam just to get them out of the way. They will rest there until they grow another plane each.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/3EC49457FBF145EAB9BF378B765B1487.jpg[/image]

devoncop -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/11/2018 12:14:54 PM)

Turn 5

The monsoon keeps the VC safe this turn and no attacks are received. Consequently their is VC activity recorded in Chong Thien and Kien Phang provinces and the VP lead for the US is pegged back from +4 to +2.

The 1st battalion of 7th US marines nosing into the western mountains of Thua Thien province is repeatedly shelled to good effect but otherwise activity from the VC is minimal.

There is no US interdiction for once and even the engineers on the trail manage some progress.

Happy days

larryfulkerson -> RE: CSV try III Ian is NLF larry is Allies csv_lgf_v1.0.sce (7/11/2018 1:02:31 PM)

The ARVN 1st Division, 51st Regiment spawned at Saigon and it's low on supply and missing some of it's equipment so I'm going to leave it in Saigon until it heals. I'm practically out of Assault Squads already. D'oh. According to the number of trucks on-hand I need to disband one of the transportation companies parked in the Phillippines to give the pools some more trucks. I'm wondering how much longer the monsoon is going to last...I'll have to scan the scenario briefing again to check that. The 51st is untried so far, so I'll have to find an easy combat for it for it's first combat so the proficiency will register higher when it solidifies. I've found that failing an attack will cause the proficiency to tend to not be so high when it's resolved for the first time by combat so it's better to attack something that will easily evaporate etc.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/9B40AFEADCEC4C209E55AB8C12628258.jpg[/image]

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.929688E-02