Post the outcomes of your game (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

Cabido -> Post the outcomes of your game (2/6/2018 7:52:37 PM)

I've suggested this idea in another thread, but I don't know if this can elicit any interest. Anyway, there is no harm in trying.

The idea is to create a thread in which people can post their game results in order to serve as reference to other players as outcome possibilities when the scenario scoring criteria isn't balanced.

The idea is just to post the outcomes with the following header:

ScenarioName-OUTCOME (so one can find it using the search engine)
Side: Players side
Opponent: AI or Human
Settings: the game options used or Default

Then just add pictures (one of them with the situation briefing) and comments.

Cabido -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (2/6/2018 7:59:35 PM)

I'll use on scenario I played when figuring out the mechanics of the game.

KASSERINE 43-OUTCOME
Side: Allied
Opponent: AI
Settings: Default

Comments: I've got a marginal defeat. I could have gotten a draw reserving some units to rush into objectives on the AI's rear on the end of the game (the AI isn't very good at defending its rear areas), but that wouldn't be very realistic, since it wouldn't be sustainable advances. The units on Jebel Aboid and Jebel Gareh Hadid were strong units that fought bravely during the whole length of the scenario, keeping their fortified positions on both urban areas and 3 strong Panzer units out of the fight for Kasserine, i.e. I didn't keep them there just for scoring.
I was able to set good defensive positions in and around Kasserine and kept the Germans far alway from Tebessa and Thala, but felt that the allied reinforcements weren't enough to counter attack efficiently. Perhaps a better player than me would be able keep Sebitla (consistently) and get a marginal victory, but a significant victory seems difficult. Or, maybe I'm just a lowsy player.

If someone have managed a significant victory with the Allies (without simply rushing the AI rear areas at the end), it would be nice to see how.

[image]local://upfiles/58482/63050E7AF0EF4687887A8E791061708C.jpg[/image]

Cabido -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (2/6/2018 8:00:49 PM)

Zoomed out.

[image]local://upfiles/58482/1421F9DC04FC4480B5934CDD03052E63.jpg[/image]

Cabido -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (2/6/2018 8:01:59 PM)

Kasserine

[image]local://upfiles/58482/BDABD4638608432CB5421C3A8842C4E2.jpg[/image]

Cabido -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (2/6/2018 8:05:10 PM)

Axis rear areas.
Ok, I should have composed all these pictures in one single picture.

[image]local://upfiles/58482/84FCD67E81E643528131399EE3585F31.jpg[/image]

MikeJ19 -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (2/7/2018 12:42:48 AM)

Cabido,

Good idea. Well done in your game. It is hard being the Allied player. I just played it and managed a draw, but I did use many of my forces behind the Axis lines to capture VP locations.

I just replayed the Kasserine 43 scenario as the Axis player. I was trying to see if I could do a better job of using the battle time stamps (BTS).

Here is my outcome:

KASSERINE 43-OUTCOME
Side: Axis

I got a significant victory.

[image]local://upfiles/47551/73D198737DC847BB9950EA7962C9BFE1.jpg[/image]

Cabido -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (2/7/2018 9:12:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeJ19
Good idea. Well done in your game. It is hard being the Allied player. I just played it and managed a draw, but I did use many of my forces behind the Axis lines to capture VP locations.

You should post it. I didn't mean to establish any kind of rule for the thread. I just described my own approach. This is a game and every player will approach it in a different way. It would be nice to have references for any style of play.

rhinobones -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (2/7/2018 10:01:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cabido

I've suggested this idea in another thread, but I don't know if this can elicit any interest. Anyway, there is no harm in trying.

The idea is to create a thread in which people can post their game results in order to serve as reference to other players as outcome possibilities when the scenario scoring criteria isn't balanced.

Think that everyone likes to read analysis, history, tactics and strategy of a completed game. Maybe the gatekeepers can build a new folder inside the “The Operational Art of War IV” exclusively for completed games. Until then, you can make a folder inside the “After Action Reports” folder for completed games.

Thanks for posting your game.

Regards, RhinoBones

MikeJ19 -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (2/7/2018 11:10:30 PM)

Cabido,

I did an AAR of my Allied draw, it is in the AAR folder.

I did not do one for my second attempt as the Axis player.

I’m about to try the Crusader scenario, taking on Rommel as the commander of the 8th Army.

Have a good day,

Mike

larryfulkerson -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (2/10/2018 11:57:08 PM)

quote:

The idea is to create a thread in which people can post their game results in order
to serve as reference to other players as outcome possibilities when the scenario
scoring criteria isn't balanced.

Operation Typhoon 1941-OUTCOME:abandoned.
Side: I was playing the Axis side, General Patton was the Soviets
Opponent: General Patton
Settings: Everything on except "no borders", leave that off.

The problem was that none of the Axis HQ units could repair rail even though there
were RR repair squads in the equipment list. They all had 2 squads per unit and
that gives about a 2% chance of repairing the rail. But in the entire game, and we
got to turn 21 or so, none of the HQ units ever repaired a rail. As a result the
RR engineers couldn't keep up with the front lines and the supply at the tip of the
spear was very low and the combat operations suffered.

So Brian and I abandoned that game and we thought we'd make a modded scenario and
play that. So we're restarting with Brian as the Axis and me as the Soviets and I've
modded the scenario by giving all the Axis HQ units 55 RR squads instead of just 2.
That ought to make the scenario unbalanced and so Brian and I are testing it. I'll
see if I can't start an AAR of the game.

I've attached the modded scenario here below in case anybody wants to play the
modded version. Just unzip it and throw it in your WW II- East Front folder.

Cabido -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (3/2/2018 10:39:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

Think that everyone likes to read analysis, history, tactics and strategy of a completed game. Maybe the gatekeepers can build a new folder inside the “The Operational Art of War IV” exclusively for completed games. Until then, you can make a folder inside the “After Action Reports” folder for completed games.

Thanks for posting your game.

Regards, RhinoBones

I thought it would be a good idea, since it is much less time consuming than doing an AAR, so that a greater number of people could just share a summary of the game with results. "Completed Games" would be a good name for it, indeed. This simple thread clearly won't work, since it is quickly pulled out of the first page of threads.

Create a folder inside AAR folder? How can that be done?

Cabido -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (3/2/2018 10:40:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

The idea is to create a thread in which people can post their game results in order
to serve as reference to other players as outcome possibilities when the scenario

The problem was that none of the Axis HQ units could repair rail even though there
that gives about a 2% chance of repairing the rail. But in the entire game, and we
got to turn 21 or so, none of the HQ units ever repaired a rail. As a result the
RR engineers couldn't keep up with the front lines and the supply at the tip of the

So Brian and I abandoned that game and we thought we'd make a modded scenario and
play that. So we're restarting with Brian as the Axis and me as the Soviets and I've
modded the scenario by giving all the Axis HQ units 55 RR squads instead of just 2.
That ought to make the scenario unbalanced and so Brian and I are testing it. I'll

Thanks for supporting the idea Larry.

rhinobones -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (3/3/2018 11:11:44 PM)

quote:

Create a folder inside AAR folder? How can that be done?

Suggest you contact Curtis Lemay and discuss what needs to be done. He seems to have the authority to add and deleted folders.

Regards, RhinoBones

MikeJ19 -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (3/8/2018 1:18:00 AM)

El Alemain
Side - Axis player versus the computer
Settings - everything
Result - Overwhelming victory

There is an AAR for this in the folder.

gwgardner -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (3/17/2018 4:54:56 AM)

B41_lgf_5.6_Barbarossa
Axis player vs Soviet PO
Settings as per scenario setup
Result - major AXIS victory

see AAR folder
Although it was a major victory, the Soviets still held onto Leningrad and Moscow, and were on the offensive mid-December when the scenario ended.

Gandalf -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (3/17/2018 4:49:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

A little late here... But I don't see this as an issue with HQ units having only 2 RR squads. There are already 6 dedicated Axis rail repair units in the scenario. That would be their primary function. Aren't they enough?

Nicholas Bell -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (3/20/2018 10:10:05 PM)

Took a break from scenario and map building for a quick game of Arracourt against the Allied PO. Got my rear end handed to me by Elmer.

[image]local://upfiles/20401/3ADB4B0B156A4846B3A27729C8036161.jpg[/image]

MikeJ19 -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (3/31/2018 1:53:58 PM)

Operation Overlord
Side - Allied player versus the computer
Settings - everything

I gave the AI a handicap cheat of +1

It was a fun game and the Allied Player has a lot of options for how to proceed.

MikeJ19 -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (4/5/2018 8:35:17 PM)

Falaise 44
Side Allied
Settings - everything

I gave the AI a handicap cheat and an Int boost.

Overall, this was not difficult and the German plan made it even easier. It was nice to have a plan work so well...

larryfulkerson -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (6/27/2018 8:20:36 PM)

Ian and I just now got through playing Nijmaegen ( spelling ? ) and Ian won. He's crafty.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/EA8512D5BF174D7381D4DBDC766EB8D3.jpg[/image]

Cabido -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (8/25/2018 3:24:41 PM)

SINGAPORE 42
Side: Japanese

Comments: I've got an overwhelming victory, but this only came on the last turn. Before that I was getting a draw. I think we get a lot of net victory points awarded for taking Keppel Harbor, which I only did on the last turn. The briefing doesn't touch this point.
It is a great scenario for those wanting to learn about cooperation penalties, and high density penalties for movement and losses. It's almost impossible to prevent high penalties from these factors, which will give players the adequate feeling to how important a role they can play in the game. I think there is a bug in the scenario, since the sea transport capacity is said to be limited to some turns in the briefing, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Anyway, this doesn't impact gameplay.

[image]local://upfiles/58482/5B17533DB6A24D10A8AB872ADF7B4851.jpg[/image]

Cabido -> RE: Post the outcomes of your game (8/25/2018 4:34:54 PM)

I sent the wrong situation window above.

[image]local://upfiles/58482/E888C60CDAD44288B3CB0FBBF008EABB.jpg[/image]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.515625E-02