Should I be on the river or behind it for defense? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

winkr7 -> Should I be on the river or behind it for defense? (11/26/2017 5:28:35 PM)

Hello;

Can someone point me to where rivers (and terrain effects) are explained? Most hex games use rivers on the hex edge and their is no ambiguity--but rivers are a full hex property in TOAW 4. I looked around the manual, but not too hard.

thanks lots.

DanNeely -> RE: Should I be on the river or behind it for defense? (11/26/2017 5:34:17 PM)

behind the river.

Meyer1 -> RE: Should I be on the river or behind it for defense? (11/26/2017 5:34:52 PM)

Behind. Units attacking from a river hex suffer a penalty.

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Should I be on the river or behind it for defense? (11/26/2017 6:57:40 PM)

You are correct, it is not easy to find:

13.12.7. Unit Strengths in Water
Assaults
Non-Marine Land units attacking from River,
Super River, Canal, Suez Canal, or Deep Water
(Amphibious Assaults) have all Strengths
multiplied by 0.7.

r6kunz -> RE: Should I be on the river or behind it for defense? (11/27/2017 2:11:47 AM)

There is the answer in sPzAbt653 post.
Incidentally, this has been debated every iteration of TOAW. Very adamant advocates for both sides (no pun intended). Suffice to say that changing it would likely upset virtually every older scenario.
Cheers
RAK

larryfulkerson -> RE: Should I be on the river or behind it for defense? (11/27/2017 9:59:16 AM)

quote:

virtually every older scenario.

Actually, the T4 version scenarios are written to the TOAW standard right now so changing the rivers
to the hexside instead of inside the hex would break virtually EVERY scenario. They would all need
adjusting. Would they not? Especially the older ones.

Cohen_slith -> RE: Should I be on the river or behind it for defense? (11/27/2017 5:38:07 PM)

Thus to "defend" in the River Hex gives any penalty?
Because I've seen then plenty of cities that also have a nice river crossing them in many maps.

Oberst_Klink -> RE: Should I be on the river or behind it for defense? (11/27/2017 6:46:12 PM)

13.12.6. Combination of terrain and deployment
defence modifiers

Klink, Oberst

P.S. I might cover just that in Tutorial '43.

Cohen_slith -> RE: Should I be on the river or behind it for defense? (11/27/2017 7:15:45 PM)

Thus River does not affect defence in any way - only attacking from a river hex.
How's a bridge computes into that?

Oberst_Klink -> RE: Should I be on the river or behind it for defense? (11/27/2017 7:22:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cohen

Thus River does not affect defence in any way - only attacking from a river hex.

I will dedicate that one to my Tutorial '43... (in planning). After all, the area/setting of my scenario sooner or later demands it.

Klink, Oberst

Meyer1 -> RE: Should I be on the river or behind it for defense? (11/27/2017 11:10:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cohen

You are correct, no penalty.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI