kinda sorta WiF in the news (not really) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

brian brian -> kinda sorta WiF in the news (not really) (7/29/2015 11:09:34 PM)

If you didn't play World in Flames, would you know where Reunion Island is?

But when the wreckage probably from the lost Malaysian Airlines flight made headlines today, I sure was thinking "yes" I know where that is.

Ur_Vile_WEdge -> RE: kinda sorta WiF in the news (not really) (7/30/2015 2:37:49 PM)

Do I get to count if I didn't know it from WiF, but a different big strategy game? (EU2 in my case)

paulderynck -> RE: kinda sorta WiF in the news (not really) (7/30/2015 7:25:12 PM)

How about if I've read books about British admirals?

Centuur -> RE: kinda sorta WiF in the news (not really) (7/30/2015 7:36:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

But when the wreckage probably from the lost Malaysian Airlines flight made headlines today, I sure was thinking "yes" I know where that is.

Actually, yes! A schoolmate from me did emigrate to this part of France in the Indian Ocean some 25 years ago. He's growing orchids there on the rich soils of the island. There's a large volcano on the island too.

warspite1 -> RE: kinda sorta WiF in the news (not really) (7/30/2015 7:41:56 PM)

quote:

Yes. But then I was a sad git that used to love pouring over my Atlas as a kid. Maps, flags, capitals LOVED IT!! almost as much as looking at the pictures in my brother's naval books or the pictures and diagrams and maps in my dad's encyclopedias of World War II [:)]

Numdydar -> RE: kinda sorta WiF in the news (not really) (7/30/2015 9:45:54 PM)

Ok smart people WHY is it called Reunion Is? [:)]

Ur_Vile_WEdge -> RE: kinda sorta WiF in the news (not really) (7/30/2015 9:55:04 PM)

It was originally called "Bourbon" after the French dynasty. (Or at least it was dating back to the French occupation/settlement of the island) I imagine they changed the name during the French Revolution somewhere.

brian brian -> RE: kinda sorta WiF in the news (not really) (7/30/2015 11:18:22 PM)

OK, next question - who has put an actual WiF counter on the Reunion hex?

I'll just say that a Japan that really gets rolling can use bases in the area while attempting to limit Allied east-west mobility....not to mention supporting HQ-A Hata's drive on Capetown...but that shouldn't really happen in most games.

Otherwise you normally just have to somehow try and remember if it belongs to Vichy or Free France during the Return-to-Base phase. Good luck.

Numdydar -> RE: kinda sorta WiF in the news (not really) (7/31/2015 3:45:56 AM)

Leave it to Wikipedia to tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Reunion. And why the name was changed [:)]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9union

Jagdtiger14 -> RE: kinda sorta WiF in the news (not really) (7/31/2015 4:46:31 AM)

Like Warspite, I knew about it when I was a little kid going through our encyclopedia. Always loved geography.

As for WiF, I'm pretty sure no one in our group ever has and I do not recall it happening in any WiFcon that I attended. I do see it as a benefit for Japan/Axis if they can get it using the LOC Vichy rules. It can be a launching point into Madagascar if the Axis cant get Madagascar that same way.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI