Philkian -> Gary Grigsby's War in the East v1.07.11 update (11/19/2013 3:26:51 PM)
The v1.07.11 update for Gary Grigsby's War in the East is a major undertaking and contains many months worth of new features, adjustments to games rules and fixes to keep the game balanced and in fit fighting form. Over 100 significant changes in all!
New features include the long requested "reduced blizzard effect" option, which alters some of the First Winter rules; several rules changes to logistics (air transport of fuel and supplies, the air group unit commitment system will only allow the transfer of recon air groups to Wehrmacht airbases, and more), interface improvements, improved AI, adjustments for more realistic first turn move possibilities, adjusted national morale rules and more! The update also features Scenario updates and data improvements. This is a highly recommended update for all War in the East players.
For a full list of changes, check out below:
V1.07.11 November 19, 2013
New Features and Rule Changes
1. New Game Option - Added "reduced blizzard effect" option. It can be enabled in Game Options for a new game. When using this option some of the First Winter rules are altered. Simply put Combat Value Modifications are no longer random, in worst case they should be equivalent to the old rules best case or slightly better, and the player can mitigate those effects to a certain degree by using forts and cities of all sizes.
The detailed rules are as follows:
- The automatic loss of 1 morale for non-Finnish Axis units whenever they are attacked and the final end of combat odds are greater than 1:2 mentioned in patch notes v1.04.10 - April 18, 2011 is disabled.
- Combat Value of non-Finnish, non-mountain and non-ski Axis units during Blizzard or Snow weather between December 1941 and April 1942 in the First Winter Zone is reduced to 36% plus 4% for each point scored when checking the following conditions (to a maximum of 100% - 16 points):
- January, February, March, April +4
Weather Zone of the battle hex is:
- Europe +3
- Southern Soviet +2
- Central Soviet +1
When the unit is in or next to the battles hex and the units hex contains:
1. Heavy Urban +5
2. Light Urban +4
3. City +3
4. Any terrain with a Town +1
- Fort +1 (for each level)
When the unit defends in the battle hex (is not a reserve unit):
- Always +4
- Month is February +4
- Month is March, April +8
- Weather is Snow +6
1. Heavy Urban +5
2. Light Urban +4
3. City +3
4. Any terrain with a Town +1
5. Light Woods, Heavy Woods, Rough, Mountain terrain without a town +1
- The displayed CV values for Finns, Soviets, and Axis mountain and ski units are no longer doubled during first winter blizzard turns.
Example: A German division in January 42 (+4) located in Central Soviet Weather Zone (+1) in a town in clear terrain (+1) with a level 2 fort (+2) is defending (+4, +1 from town again). The score is 13, so the CV will be reduced to 36+13*4=88% of the original CV value. The same division would attack a neighboring hex with 68% of the original CV value.
Note: The player has to remember that CV is also reduced by damage to ground elements when taking part in combat (rule 22.3.2), so the units are weaker than they seem from the values on counters. However, preparing a proper defensive line based on cities, forts and reserves (perhaps at a cost of reduced gains in November 41), should allow for holding it successfully in most parts of the front, and the units should be in much better shape for a summer offensive.
2. Rule Change Air transport of fuel and supplies is changed as follows: 1) Level bombers may not transport fuel. 2) Only 25-75% of supplies are dropped successfully, while only 16-50% of fuel is dropped successfully (was 33-100% for both). 3) Hexes that contain or are adjacent to a friendly air base unit (that is in a valid hex for air operations) will receive all of the supplies and fuel that are dropped (no drop attrition as stated in item 2 occurs).
3. Interface Change - Added the ability to sort units properly according to their Arabic and/or Roman numerals, including subunit designations before / sign.
4. New Interface - Added detailed CV attack and defend values under the counter in the unit detail window.
5. Editor - Added the ability to specify individual division numbers and their guard status for Soviet Cavalry and Mountain Corps in the Scenario Editor.
6. Improved AI - Added missing "march madness" rule to AI evaluation functions. Fixed minor mismatch in an AI evaluation function concerning value of ground elements in support units attached to combat units as opposed to ground elements in their parent units.
7. Rule Change (section 9.1.1) Possible morale gains for a unit being at least 10 hexes from an enemy unit (in refit or not) will now only happen if the units morale is below its national morale, or 50, whichever is lowest. Note it is possible to receive up to 0-2 morale points from this when not in refit mode, and 0-4 points when in refit mode (this has not changed).
8. Rule Change (section 8.4.3) The air group unit commitment system will only allow the transfer of recon air groups to Wehrmacht airbases.
9. Rule Change/Errata (section 3.3.2) There was an undocumented +1 morale bonus from victories whenever the morale help level was set >100. Similarly, there was one less loss of morale due to a lost combat when the morale help was set >100. These have now been changed so that these bonuses only apply when the morale help level is set >109. We have also fixed a bug that could cause a unit with morale help level >100 to potentially gain one morale point from a lost battle.
10. Rule Change (section 23.3.1) If the Rumanian front areas is still frozen, Axis movement into Hungary is no longer allowed on turn 2 of scenarios starting on June 22, 1941. More accurately, movement is not allowed in the area both south of hex row 86 and west of column 45. This has always been true for turn 1, but has been extended to turn 2 as described above. The Axis AI may ignore this rule in order to defend its territory.
11. Formula Change (section 9.1.1) Reduced the chance that a unit below its national morale will receive the die(10% of national morale) increase in morale. The chance is now 10% (was 15%).
12. Rule Errata (section 9.1.1) Units that are below 40 automatically gain one morale point in the logistics phase.
13. Rule Errata (section 9.1.3) The Finnish National Morale is 70 for the entire war.
14. Rule Errata (section 15) There are a maximum number of units that may participate in a combat. The absolute maximum is 40 units per side (including HQs, on-map and support units). The system will try to include all on-map units if possible, but as the number of units gets large (over 25-30), there is a chance that some support units will be left out of the battle even before reaching the 40 unit maximum.
1. Added proper handling of Soviet mountain corps units. Its subunits (mountain divisions) retain their number, guard status and victory/defeat counters, and the corps can now build up again after breaking down.
2. Fixed the detection of a nearby (in or next to target hex) airbase on air supply drop, that was meant to prevent cargo reduction (waste) but was never working.
3. Fixed the way vehicles, vehicle need, ammo, ammo need, supply, supply need, fuel, fuel need, support, support need and air supply tons are divided between subunits when breaking down a Division or a Corps, so that no items are lost (in case the original number did not divide by 3 without remainder) and support is displayed properly.
4. Fixed the way support, support need and air supply tons are pooled from subunits when building up a Division or a Corps, so that support is displayed properly.
5. Fixed experience loss when building up an existing Soviet Corps from subunits containing ground elements not present in Corps TOE, for example newer or alternate equipment.
6. Fixed evaluation of artillery ground elements in units having less than 75% of required ammo, whose value was doubled rather than halved.
7. Added missing fatigue calculations when merging or building up units.
8. Improved several functions to work correctly for support units by properly detecting their location.
9. Fixed problems with Soviet air army renames not working, when a similarly named air army was present (for example 16th Air Army blocks rename to 6th Air Army).
10. Fixed problems with Soviet front renames affecting other units, when a similarly named air army was present (for example Southern Ural M.D. was renamed together with Southern Front).
11. Fixed bug in morale formula when merging units, where one unit was weighted as if having 100% TOE instead of actual number.
12. Improved movement formula when merging units.
13. Fixed a bug where subunits of two different Soviet corps with the same number and of the same type (but with different Guards status) could be used for building up, clearing corps allegiance from remaining subunits.
14. Fixed a bug that would clear corps allegiance from subunits of a Soviet Corps when corps merge failed.
15. Fixed a bug when recombining a non-Guards Soviet Corps eligible for Guards status (due to majority of its subunits achieving Guards status when operating alone), would clear corps allegiance from subunits of a Guards Soviet Corps with the same number and type.
16. Fixed a bug when recombining a non-Guards Soviet Corps eligible for Guards status (due to majority of its subunits achieving Guards status when operating alone), would not trigger an immediate rename, resulting in duplicate corps names.
17. Fixed a bug when a message about not enough AP was shown when building up an existing Soviet Cavalry Corps if there was less than 5 AP available.
18. Fixed a bug with modified combat value being 100 times higher than it should (invisible to the user).
19. Fixed a crash bug in Debug mode (and possible memory corruption) when opening unit detail window for a Soviet Cavalry Corps.
20. Fixed a crash bug in Debug mode (and possible memory corruption) when displaying attached support unit that has moved in unit detail window.
21. Fixed a crash bug when AI tried to pull back its units.
22. Fixed many bugs causing leader rolls to fail for support units.
23. Allowed airhead supply to reach HQs and airbases.
24. Fixed command point bonus for O.K.H. to be unlimited (instead of 900).
25. Fixed bug causing Soviet motorized units not to have +10 bonus to NM as documented in the manual/patch notes.
26. Fixed picking new HQ to work correctly for units in airhead supply (in a limited way as for isolated units, instead as for fully supplied).
27. Fixed automated support unit detach (using [X] button) to work in the same way as picking new HQ manually (will work for isolated and airhead supply units if a path can be traced between them; the support unit will be properly blocked from being reassigned again this turn).
28. Fixed x,y unit detection to work for cities, and support units attached to combat units or cities.
29. Fixed bug in path tracing between units not working for off-map units and units in the same hex.
30. Enabled display of support unit supply status (only airhead supply tonnage was displayed previously).
31. Updated CV for ground element types: Special Forces, Marine Commando, Airborne Engineer, Air Landing Section and Light Armored Car from 0 to 3; CS Cavalry Tank and CS Infantry Tank from 0 to 9.
32. Defined motorized unit for combat CV and Admin roll rules as being non-HQ, permanently motorized and/or having an Armor, Mechanized, Motorized or SP GUN TOE type.
33. Fixed a bug with units on buildup being treated as isolated during next friendly logistics phase (and for the remainder of the turn in case of support units). Made sure that support unit's supply situation will update in sync with parent's supply situation.
34. Fixed memory leak in air code, preventing the game from running long AI vs AI games.
35. Fixed a bug that was causing the number of victories and defeats to be credited to leaders to only work for 3 levels of command (causing OKH and Stavka not to be properly credited in all cases).
36. Fixed a bug that could prevent some Fighter-Bomber air groups from upgrading.
37. Fixed a bug where combat units with an attached support unit could get credit for 2 victories or defeats from one battle.
Data and Scenario Changes
1. Fixed. 1941 campaigns, Operation Barbarossa, Road to Kiev, Road to Leningrad
Finnish units 1st/2nd Command Bn with Italian support squads
Romanian High command with Hungarian support squads
VI Rum. Corps with German support squads
2. Fixed. 654th Heavy Panzerjager Bn (1376) uses wrong OB and equipment, should be OB 280 with Elefant, not 281 with Nashorn in TOE and equipped with future Jagdpanther
3. Various data fixes
4. Some minor changes to arrivals including strength and experience were made to the Stalingrad to Berlin Campaign and the Winter 1942-43 scenario based on Matrix forum feedback.
5. In all campaigns and scenarios starting June 22, 1941, moved 2 Rumanian units back from the border near Chernovtsy. This allows Soviet units to use the rail next to the border on turn 2 if it is not cut by German units from the north. This was done to reduce the effectiveness of the German Super Lvov Pocket strategy. Also reduced the fort level of Hanko to 3.
1. 88mm Field Gun (0071) Increased Fuel Use from 6 to 22; to be consistent all guns size 2 and larger now require a prime mover (except rail only guns whose fuel use is 0).
2. 75mm Anti-aircraft Gun (0162) Increased Load Cost from 16 to 22; Increased Fuel Use from 6 to 22.
3. 76mm Field Gun (0169) Changed Device from ZiS-3 gun to more probable F-22 gun.
4. 75mm Anti-aircraft Gun (0213) Increased Fuel Use from 6 to 22.
5. 75mm Anti-aircraft Gun (0273) Increased Size to 2; increased Fuel Use from 6 to 22.
6. 80mm Anti-aircraft Gun (0308) Increased Size to 2; increased Fuel Use from 6 to 22.
7. 122mm Field Gun (0370) Increased Size to 2; increased Fuel Use from 6 to 22.
8. 3.7in Anti-aircraft Gun (2068) Decrease Fuel Use to 18 (for WitW assumes use of American halftrack as towing vehicle).
9. 4.5in Field Gun (2098) Decrease Fuel Use to 18 (for WitW assumes use of American halftrack as towing vehicle).
10. 5.5in Field Gun (2100) Decrease Fuel Use to 18 (for WitW assumes use of American halftrack as towing vehicle).
11. 7.2in Howitzer (2101) Decrease Fuel Use to 18 (for WitW assumes use of American halftrack as towing vehicle).
12. 8in Howitzer (2102) Decrease Fuel Use to 18 (for WitW assumes use of American halftrack as towing vehicle).
13. 240mm Howitzer (2116) Decrease Fuel Use to 18 (for WitW assumes use of American halftrack as towing vehicle).
14. 155mm Field Gun (2120) Decrease Fuel Use to 18 (for WitW assumes use of American halftrack as towing vehicle).
15. 155mm Howitzer (2587) Increase Fuel Use to 18.
16. 4.5in Field Gun (2588) Decrease Fuel Use to 18.
17. 149mm Howitzer (2639) Decrease Fuel Use to 18 (for WitW assumes use of American halftrack as towing vehicle).
18. Some minor corrections to fuel use by ground elements to further consistency of treatment.
19. Renamed the Hetzer to the Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer.
20. 0003 Ar 234B - remove rear cannon armament as this was never used in production aircraft, re-calculate ammo cost
21. 0177 Do 17M(R) - remove empty equipment slot
22. 0307 R-5 - upgrade to 0326 U-2 (recon)
23. 0308 R-Z - upgrade to 0317 Il-2
24. 0307 R-10 - upgrade to 0326 U-2 (recon)
25. 0314 SB-2(recon) - upgrade to 0331 Pe-2R
26. 0342 TB-3G-2 - upgrade to 0347 Li-2
27. 37mm Anti-tank Gun (67) Added upgrade path to 75mm Anti-tank Gun (69) and changed Last Month from 12 to 10. 75mm Anti-tank Gun (69) Introduction date changed to 2/42.
28. Changed the upgrade dates of WitE German infantry and pioneer squads and Slovakian infantry squads.
29. Added the missing accuracy modifier to the Slovakian (322) and Hungarian (358) 50mm anti-tank guns and added a German-made 75mm anti-tank gun for the Rumanians.
30. Changed the domestic Rumanian 75mm anti-tank gun start to a more accurate date of 3/44 and added a German-made 75mm anti-tank gun for the Rumanians.
31. Corrected production period of 39M Csaba Armored Car (288) armored car.
32. Maultier (174) Renamed to SdKfz-4 Panzerwerfer.
33. SdKfz-250/9 Added this vehicle as an armored car type in WitE (no picture/no symbol) and as a Recon Halftrack (new ground type 73) in WitW. Its an upgrade from the SdKfz-222 armored car and needs 3 factories (initial size 1) in WitW; it uses the SdKfz-222s orphan factories in WitE.
34. Fixed spelling of leader von Edelsheim, Maximilian. Changed Leader 1189: Demidov, Aleksandr from Ground only to Air only.
35. Fixed an error in the 42c SS Motorized Division (OB 463) that had its 75mm infantry guns entered twice.
36. 42a Guards Tank Corps (OB 404) Added missing upgrade path to 42b Guards Tank Corps (OB 402).
37. 43 Assault Engineer-Sapper Brigade (OB 446) Added missing upgrade path to 44 Assault Engineer-Sapper Brigade (OB 486).
38. 44 Airlanding Division (OB 133) Renamed to 44b Airlanding Division (WitW only change).
39. 41b Infantry Division (OB 338) Corrected upgrade path from 41 Jager Division (OB 32) to 42 Jager Division (OB 335).
40. 42 Rum. Armored Division (OB 75) changed 75mm Anti-tank gun from Rumanian produced to (246) to imported German (360).
41. 42 Rum. Infantry Division (OB 77) changed 75mm Anti-tank gun from Rumanian produced to (246) to imported German (360).
42. 43 Rum. Infantry Division (OB 136) changed 75mm Anti-tank gun from Rumanian produced to (246) to imported German (360).
43. Hungarian 75mm Anti-tank Gun (291) decreased accuracy from 350 to 250.
44. Rumanian 75mm Anti-tank Gun (360) corrected gun crew rifles from Hungarian (141) to Rumanian (142).
To download the updates, players can run Check for Update via the game menu or download them directly from the games download page here.
Get more information on Gary Grigsby's War in the East from the official product page.