Piercing Fortress Europa (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

James Crowley -> Piercing Fortress Europa (4/10/2013 10:55:25 AM)

Now going into beta testing but no word about it any where?

Perhaps not thought important enough to announce before release?

Iain McNeil -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/10/2013 11:28:06 AM)

It's very important but the box art is not ready so we cant really create a product page. It will be announced in more detail very soon!

Erik Rutins -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/10/2013 2:48:06 PM)

Hi Jim,

We needed to announce the beta test and get that going before other materials were ready. Promotion is tied to the release, but testing happens independently as needed. We've had other titles enter beta testing in the past before the promotional materials were finished, this is not the first and won't be the last. The official announcement date for PFE is currently set for April 22nd, so you can expect to see a product page, public forum and more information at that time.

Regards,

- Erik

wodin -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/10/2013 3:38:06 PM)

Never heard of the game..interesting. Is there any info out at all..i.e scale for instance and platform?

Edit: Is this Frank Hunters new game about the Normandy landings? I wonder if he will ever finish the Napoleonic game he had been developing awhile ago but then stopped posting on it..or the patch he asked everyone about and what people wanted for his WW1 game..only to disappear after bringing it up.

I had an urge for a Napoleonic game a few months ago and his game in development sounded very interesting indeed. Though he just disappeared from the forum.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/10/2013 4:09:29 PM)

Hi Wodin,

It covers Sicily and Italy during WWII, per the beta test recruitment announcement in the forum.

Franks has been a bit behind the scenes for a while, but this release should mark his return to a more active presence.

Regards,

- Erik

wodin -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/10/2013 6:41:05 PM)

Sounds cool...makes a change from Normandy.

James Crowley -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/10/2013 10:48:02 PM)

That sounds very interesting. I loved the old AH 'Anzio' board game ( I think I still have it - somewhere); I wonder if this will be anything like it; certainly the same unit scale. Could be an must buy for me if it is.

Funny how a much neglected topic is surfacing; with BFC doing CMFI and now the Gustav Line.

bairdlander -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/10/2013 10:59:54 PM)

screenshots here www.strategycore.co.uk News

Rtwfreak -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/11/2013 2:50:47 AM)

I would like some WWI tactical games please.

**budd** -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/11/2013 3:15:00 AM)

Looked, but cant find the shots.
quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

J P Falcon -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/11/2013 5:45:26 AM)

I think he saw the words Gustav Line and just got snared. That's a Combat Mission game and as far removed from a Frank Hunter design as can be.

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**

Looked, but cant find the shots.
quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

bairdlander -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/11/2013 11:35:47 PM)

google Piercing Fortress Europa 2nd one down,scrrenshots there,dont know why link didn't work here

bairdlander -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/11/2013 11:39:02 PM)

works for me[&:]

wodin -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/12/2013 12:44:20 AM)

Those screenshots are of World in Flames.

bairdlander -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/12/2013 2:24:00 AM)

Ok,thanks,but they wroite Piercing Fortress Europa on the first screenshot showing Latvia

carnifex -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/12/2013 3:03:08 AM)

Yeah they did. We had a confusing thread about this before.

wodin -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/12/2013 3:18:49 AM)

Me too...John Tiller SB WW1..came out recently. Though it has issues in my opinion.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

GJK -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/13/2013 1:24:08 AM)

I can tell you that those certainly (and obiously) aren't the screenshots for Frank's new game. At least that's not the map that I drew for it. :)

bairdlander -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/13/2013 1:55:00 AM)

well excuse me for not knowing the screenshots for WiF,the website says they are the pics

bairdlander -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/13/2013 1:55:21 AM)

well excuse me for not knowing the screenshots for WiF,the website says they are the pics

GJK -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/13/2013 2:13:09 AM)

It's the websites fault and if you're not a WiF player, you could easily get misled by it.

I'm excited about this release from Frank and can't wait until the official screenshots are posted!

**budd** -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/13/2013 3:00:25 AM)

it's going into beta and we don't get any shots yet? Come on.....live a little[:)]..post some shots....you know you want to.

GJK -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/13/2013 3:08:36 AM)

That's not up to me- I wish that I could! I will say though that if you liked the look of the original Anzio boardgame by AH, then you should like the look of this one which features graphics a little more in line with todays norm. I'm very pleased with the way that it came out. The thing that I really like about Frank's games is he doesn't use tiled images for the graphics (same terrain image tiled over and over again). It's a full image map so it looks much more natural than the tiled image style of graphics.

Rtwfreak -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/13/2013 3:03:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Me too...John Tiller SB WW1..came out recently. Though it has issues in my opinion.
quote:

Did you play that one? How was it? What are the issues? Is it still the same ole John Tiller engine and lousy ai?

BAL -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/13/2013 4:21:17 PM)

Why don't you read the review. [sm=dizzy.gif]

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/squad-battles-first-world-war-pc-game-review.htm

Rtwfreak -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/14/2013 12:16:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BAL

Why don't you read the review. [sm=dizzy.gif]

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/squad-battles-first-world-war-pc-game-review.htm

Because I hold Wodins reviews and recommendations a lot higher than I do those adolescencents over at armchairgeneral.com

wodin -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/14/2013 3:51:27 AM)

Rtw. It has issues. Many of the scenarios are big, some HUGE. Which can drag on abit and loads of counter pushing. Also the hex scale just doesn't work. I know Volcano Man put loads into research etc and it tells but the engine struggles esp the hex size. Trying to fit platoon size WW1 units in a 40m hex game isn't right, they really needed 100m hex for those scenarios where large units are used. Trenches in my humble opinion doesn't really work like WW1 trench system either for instance there is no delay required to change the facing of a trench in fact they don't have facing, plus a couple of other quibbles. Gas is another thing I feel that isn't right, alot more could have been done with gas including different effects for different types. Then you also don't have mines which is a huge aspect of WW1 something again I felt was sorely missing. It also seems aimed for the American audience it compared to the American contribution over the whole war they certainly get an awful lot of scenarios. I pulled Volcano Man on this and though he didn't see it he did let slip he was at one point considering just doing the American side of things. Then we have the big bug bear for me with SB and thats the effectiveness mechanic which is really an abstract ammo mechanic which can mean once your MG gets to around 50% what was a killer at the start fires pellets near the middle and then spit balls at the end. Oh and it also desperately needs a mod doing. I may do one one day similar to my old RV and AOTR mod..but the urge isn't there at the minute.

Again the research that went into it I fully admire and the game has be bent as far as it can go to try and accommodate the Great war. I just think a game designed solely for WW1 at the tactical level is needed to do it justice. As is this is the only option we have. If your willing for some very long PBEM games and can forgive some of the issues (they aren't game breaking by the way) and also enjoy the SB series it's worth buying.

Jim Cobb does do a good review of it though and it is worth reading. He is alot more forgiving though of the issues I have with it. Though being a WW1 obsessive I'm prob not easy to please.

Rtwfreak -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/14/2013 6:13:45 PM)

quote:

Though being a WW1 obsessive I'm prob not easy to please.

That's me also. I want a good tactical game in the light of a Panzer Command: Osfront type play or Combat Mission or something even on a FPS line though I don't really like FPS. Too many games give rocket science to WWI games or make them arcady. I really could go for a WWI air warfare turn based game also with some tabletop visuals of course like Wings of War.

Thanks for the review Wodin I know when Wodin speaks players listen. [:)]

BAL -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/14/2013 7:26:50 PM)

quote:

Thanks for the review Wodin I know when Wodin speaks players listen. [:)]

[8|] Whatever sockpuppet

wodin -> RE: Piercing Fortress Europa (4/14/2013 9:57:40 PM)

BAL what have I done to offend thee? I don't go around preaching or run some cult. RTW give sme way too much credit..but I can't help wha he says and he certainly isn't speaking for me nor is he a puppet of mine.

RTW yes I agree a WW1 turn based aiwarfare game is something I too dream off..with RPG elements where you are a Squadron Commander.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI