Bombardment spotting (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

kaleun -> Bombardment spotting (3/25/2013 7:44:53 PM)

How do you set the floatplanes so they will spot for bombardment TFs?

dr.hal -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/25/2013 8:07:15 PM)

You usually have to set them for night flights and use "recon" targeting the base or troop concentration that you are going to bombard.... if the weather allows, you will see it in the combat report.....

dr.hal -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/25/2013 8:08:22 PM)

The night flight situation is a reflection of the fact that ships normally bombard during night hours, sorry I should have been more clear. Hal

Speedy -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/25/2013 9:30:34 PM)

Yup. If set to "retire" they'll aim to bombard at night. As such set the FP group to night mission and set the target as the destination base. All you need is the 1 group doing this per TF, I find, and you get noticeably better results.

jmalter -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/25/2013 9:40:12 PM)

the TF flag usually leads off, so its FPs should be tasked as dr.hal said. michaelm has posted that 1 ship's FPs will spot for all, so other groups in the TF can keep on doing whatever it is they've been up to. IMO the FP Recon skill doesn't matter, so long as it gets into the air.

jeffk3510 -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/25/2013 9:57:21 PM)

I would agree that FP skill doesn't matter... but I would be curious to see if they did help...I am not sure I want to waste training FP pilots in recon though...

Remember to have them recon at night if you're TF is set to retirement allowed and recon during the day if set to "do not retire"

kaleun -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/26/2013 2:15:32 AM)

Thanks y'all.

SqzMyLemon -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/26/2013 6:43:28 AM)

I often set more than one ships FP's to recon for bombardments, there's no guarantee the mission will be carried out every bombardment run. I like to hedge my bets with more FP's assigned, but that's just me.

Terminus -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/26/2013 10:03:26 AM)

Not just you. And it DOES work.

Chickenboy -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/26/2013 12:04:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

I often set more than one ships FP's to recon for bombardments, there's no guarantee the mission will be carried out every bombardment run. I like to hedge my bets with more FP's assigned, but that's just me.

I agree. I set 2-3 FPs on this mission, "just in case".

Lokasenna -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/26/2013 4:04:45 PM)

Since IJN ships tend to have more FPs and usually two groups, I like to use Petes in one group and have them set to night recon by default. I do this for every ship CA and bigger that will be doing any bombarding in the near future. But as mentioned, they don't always fly... Usually, but not always.

It seems obvious from the replay/combat report, but each plane only spots for its "mother ship", correct?

jmalter -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/26/2013 5:27:17 PM)

one plane will spot for all ships in the TF, see michaelm's post#30 in this thread:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2490730
When i see the 1st "plane spotting for" msg in the report, i assume that ships listed above that msg did not receive a spotting benefit.

Lokasenna -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/26/2013 6:57:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

one plane will spot for all ships in the TF, see michaelm's post#30 in this thread:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2490730
When i see the 1st "plane spotting for" msg in the report, i assume that ships listed above that msg did not receive a spotting benefit.

Thanks for clarifying.

Icedawg -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/28/2013 2:40:02 PM)

Related question - does setting a group to recon help with shore bombardment accuracy of ships in amphibious TFs? For example, if I include the Fuso in an amphibious TF, will it do a better job keeping the defensive guns at bay if it has some FPs set to recon? Seems like if it works for bombardment TFs, then it should also work in this situation.

castor troy -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/28/2013 4:48:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

Related question - does setting a group to recon help with shore bombardment accuracy of ships in amphibious TFs? For example, if I include the Fuso in an amphibious TF, will it do a better job keeping the defensive guns at bay if it has some FPs set to recon? Seems like if it works for bombardment TFs, then it should also work in this situation.

my guess would be... no

dr.hal -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/30/2013 4:01:49 AM)

I hear what you all are saying about one aircraft spotting for more than one ship but are you sure? In my combat reports an aircraft spotter is tied to only one ship in the report... I've never seen any indication that it is spotting for anything other than that one mother ship!

Lokasenna -> RE: Bombardment spotting (3/30/2013 5:05:46 AM)

Well, if michaelm said so... I believe him. Almost completely.

Joe D. -> RE: Bombardment spotting (4/1/2013 12:19:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Yup. If set to "retire" they'll aim to bombard at night. As such set the FP group to night mission and set the target as the destination base. All you need is the 1 group doing this per TF, I find, and you get noticeably better results.

Assuming most sub attacks also happen at night, would it also be wise to set some recon planes for ASW after dark?

dr.hal -> RE: Bombardment spotting (4/1/2013 2:46:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Assuming most sub attacks also happen at night, would it also be wise to set some recon planes for ASW after dark?

Joe,

To me, that is SOP if venturing into an enemy "den". It may not do much good, but I feel better. However if there is only one float aircraft ship then I put it on spotting (recon) and hope for the best with my ASW screen. Hal

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI