APc's? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Gunner98 -> APc's? (2/15/2013 12:49:52 PM)

Playing DaIronBabes as allies vs AI and starting to get all the new 'baby' toys. Just got my first APc in Oct 42, but I notice it cannot go into an Amphib or Fast Tpt TFs. Looked up its use and found:

In February 1942 the Bureau of Ships issued specifications for a modified design for AMc 150-199. It was to be slightly longer than its predecessor (103 feet overall) and was to incorporate a number of other detailed improvements. This process was interrupted on 13 Apr 42 when the CNO requested the construction of the 50 vessels as "raider transports, AP," probably for use in the South Pacific. The District Craft Development Board, in recommending the change on 20 Apr 42, suggested three possible uses for the craft, for which the category "Coastal transport (small), APc" was created on 22 April: (1) transportation of 2 officers and 74 men (possibly a raiding party) for a maximum voyage of 24 hours, (2) transportation of 2 officers, 50 men, and a cargo of 1,500 cu.ft. for 24 hours, and (3) carrying a cargo of 4,000 cu.ft. (17 tons) and no passengers on a voyage of 2,500 miles. To carry cargo, the vessels were to be equipped with a 2-ton capacity boom on the foremast serving an 8x7 foot hatch to the forward compartment, and to travel up to 2,500 miles their fuel and water capacity was to be increased. AMc 150-199 thus became APc 1-50, though not respectively. The British found the new type attractive and on 6 Jun 42 requisitioned 50 more, and on 25 Jul 42 the Assistant CNO for Maintenance (Adm. Farber) recommended adding 15 or more small APc's to the program in view of the long time it took to get construction of the ones already ordered underway. On 5 Aug 42 VCNO directed the addition of the 15 APc's, for a total of 115.

Just wondering if not being able to use them in an Amphib role is an oversight or by design, and if so does anyone have any idea why? Hay with a speed of 10 and a cargo cap of '101' - they could make all the difference![:D]

http://www.shipscribe.com/usnaux/APC/APC01.html

Thanks

Gunner98 -> RE: APc's? (2/15/2013 2:04:59 PM)

I mean - full fledged Amphibious warfare - I wonder where they put their boots? [:D]

[image]local://upfiles/16451/29310E9DB5DA437FBF7F8D239EE2B1DB.jpg[/image]

Q-Ball -> RE: APc's? (2/15/2013 3:31:02 PM)

Great picture.....goes to show how small those ships actually were

IRL, I imagine they were used for local transport, kind of a bus service between islands. There was alot of routine stuff that had to be moved between small bases.

In game, I basically use them same way. They aren't assault ships. Their main virtue is that they are pretty disposable.

Don Bowen -> RE: APc's? (2/15/2013 7:09:09 PM)

APc are too small for Amphib TFs. They can be used in barge and landing craft TFs. Landing Craft TFs are basically amphib TFs for the little ships.

Gunner98 -> RE: APc's? (2/15/2013 9:49:31 PM)

Super - thanks Don, not exactly the QM but all those 'babies' are great [:D]

B

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: APc's? (2/16/2013 9:31:11 AM)

APc were nicknamed "apple carts" for a reason [:)].

A little bird has told me that Don's personal mod contains many many more 'babies'.

I'm wondering if he could be coaxed, bribed or blackmailed into updating the official Babes scenarios with those babies (at least those who are compatible with the stock/beta .exe)...?

Alfred -> RE: APc's? (2/16/2013 7:47:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

APc were nicknamed "apple carts" for a reason [:)].

A little bird has told me that Don's personal mod contains many many more 'babies'.

I'm wondering if he could be coaxed, bribed or blackmailed into updating the official Babes scenarios with those babies (at least those who are compatible with the stock/beta .exe)...?

Would this be a reference to DaZygotes? He does seem to be overly protective of his zygotes.[:)] I'm not even certain he allows JWE/Symon access to them. The latter might need to obtain a court order to gain visiting rights to Don's brood. The rest of us have even less chance.

Alfred

Don Bowen -> RE: APc's? (2/16/2013 9:36:25 PM)

Sorry guys. For a number of reasons I am not able to share the additional ships and units in DaZygotes.

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: APc's? (2/16/2013 9:58:11 PM)

I know, Don [:(].

But let me dream: Zygotes + revised "historic" PBEM scenarios (as opposed to "AI friendly" stock scenarios) + a couple of other enhancements in the 'tradition' of Michael's ongoing beta patches = "WitP Commander-in-Chief (or Emperor) Edition" [&o].

bradfordkay -> RE: APc's? (2/18/2013 3:37:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

I know, Don [:(].

But let me dream: Zygotes + revised "historic" PBEM scenarios (as opposed to "AI friendly" stock scenarios) + a couple of other enhancements in the 'tradition' of Michael's ongoing beta patches = "WitP Commander-in-Chief (or Emperor) Edition" [&o].

Or, more properly, WitP - OCD Edition.

Just kidding Don, I am really enjoying the DaBigBabes scenario.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.171875E-02