Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

richlove -> Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/6/2013 2:20:59 PM)

Hey all, I'm playing the GC as the Allies against the AI, and it's March 1st, 1942. I'm wondering if anyone has 'best practices' as to how to manage your aircraft replacement pool. I have replacements off across the board. My first thought was:

- look at the available frames by airplane type
- find each squadron by that type, decide whether to add airplanes, then do so if possible

That got boring, quickly. What about:

- find squadrons near the front lines and see if they need new frames
- add (if possible)

Are there approaches that people have that work well, and are reasonably quick? Or am I stuck with a very boring exercise every game month (or week)?

TIA

crsutton -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/6/2013 2:43:56 PM)

I leave replacements on for all front line squadrons and all squadrons where I have plenty of aircraft. I check my training squadrons and weed out pilots to the reserve pool twice a month.

Banzan -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/6/2013 3:20:51 PM)

In early '42, you should be seriously short of replacement planes. It will get a bit better of the year, but you really need to choose the fronts you want to fight for. I always keep autoreplacment off and do it manually where its needed and wanted.

Lokasenna -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/6/2013 4:19:35 PM)

I especially leave replacements off for my CV squadrons. If I've got them out conducting ops and if their numbers are a bit depleted, when they arrive in port they'll shock my pools. Since I'm playing Ironman, I like to be careful with how I use the CVs so they typically sit in port for a while (which also helps with maintenance/fatigue levels), and if it's going to be a week or so I'd rather they didn't draw the aircraft just yet. I always check their levels before I sortie them, and draw replacement aircraft the day before if possible.

pompack -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/7/2013 2:50:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I especially leave replacements off for my CV squadrons. If I've got them out conducting ops and if their numbers are a bit depleted, when they arrive in port they'll shock my pools. Since I'm playing Ironman, I like to be careful with how I use the CVs so they typically sit in port for a while (which also helps with maintenance/fatigue levels), and if it's going to be a week or so I'd rather they didn't draw the aircraft just yet. I always check their levels before I sortie them, and draw replacement aircraft the day before if possible.

Another reason to leave replacements off for CV squadrons and for any heavily engaged unit is the replacement cycle: You cannot add a/c more than once per week; so if you lose one a/c on Monday (for example) you don't want to use up your replacement slot for an entire week for one a/c. By doing it manually you can either wait until you have a full load OR you intend to stand the unit down for a few days so they can work off all or part of their one week replacement delay during the rest period.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/7/2013 3:23:34 AM)

I tend to turn off replacements and upgrades so you don't get a backwater squadron stealing the Corsairs. Didn't know that about once a week replacements.

Capt Hornblower -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/8/2013 6:08:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

Another reason to leave replacements off for CV squadrons and for any heavily engaged unit is the replacement cycle: You cannot add a/c more than once per week; so if you lose one a/c on Monday (for example) you don't want to use up your replacement slot for an entire week for one a/c. By doing it manually you can either wait until you have a full load OR you intend to stand the unit down for a few days so they can work off all or part of their one week replacement delay during the rest period.

I think this is a mis-reading of the rules. What the manual says cannot occur more than once a week is the creation of a replacement subunit at a base with an air- or command-HQ for a land-based squadron taking replacements but not meeting the requirements (listed in section 16.2) for direct replacement to the squadron. (Also in this section is the limit of 12 a/c per week per squadron.) Later on, section 16.2 states that ship-based units will check for replacements DAILY while land-based units check for replacements 2 of every 3 days. (This is how it worked in Uncommon Valor, and unless a change was made in either edition of WITP that wasn't accounted for in the manual, this is how it still works.)

JocMeister -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/8/2013 6:53:19 AM)

I turn off replacements and upgrades for ALL squadrons. I find its really the only way to be in control of what takes what and when. I did as crsutton does at first and while it has the benefit of lessening micromanagement I found that it has it drawbacks. One of the biggest is that a squadron might loose a plane to OPS and then draw a new AC. The squadron will then be unable to draw more AC for a few days. That could be very inconvenient if the squadron sees battle.

alanschu -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/8/2013 6:55:07 AM)

I am pretty sure once you request a replacement, there's some visual indicators and you are unable to request more replacements for another week, regardless of whether or not you requested one or twelve.

wdolson -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/8/2013 7:05:03 AM)

If I recall, the delays were changed for AE. The goal was to make the pace of the air war more realistic.

Bill

Banzan -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/8/2013 8:56:29 AM)

I was pretty sure its about the numbers you pull, not how often, but maybe its a mix of both. :)
If you pull 12 planes, the ability to pull replacments is turned off immediately (more then 20 years of reading english forums, and i still fail to write this word without looking into a dictionary!), but (at least i think so) it turns off the next turn if you had pulled less then these 12 (7?).

alanschu -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/8/2013 9:02:16 AM)

Yeah, you can leave and come back and request more replacement planes as long as you haven't ended your turn (and haven't maxed out at 12). Once the turn has commenced though, it's 7 days. 99.9999% sure of this as I am quite sure I have been burned by it haha. As a result I'm much more inclined to give reserve planes to front combat units.

koniu -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/8/2013 10:43:51 AM)

It is mix of "once per week" and "12 planes max".

In last beta there was fix that block ability to drain more that 12 planes. Something with wrong counting clicks on manual replacement button.

In official patch it is still sometimes passable to drain more than 12 plane at once but it is a bug

Cap Mandrake -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/8/2013 8:40:14 PM)

Is it just me or do these "best practice" threads always seem to end up like a discussion over what kind of wood was used to build King Arthur's "Round Table"?

There seems to be a heck of a lot of mist-shrouded legend.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/8/2013 9:15:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Is it just me or do these "best practice" threads always seem to end up like a discussion over what kind of wood was used to build King Arthur's "Round Table"?

There seems to be a heck of a lot of mist-shrouded legend.

That's why we keep Alfred behind glass with a little hammer and a sign included in the kit.

sanch -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/9/2013 8:02:14 AM)

I thought it was pretty simple - every 7 days you can take (once) up to 12 planes. And once you take a plane (or more), you have to wait 7 days to take any more.

So, once a week you can reload.

Chris H -> RE: Seeking advice on how to manage aircraft pools (2/9/2013 8:43:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

I am pretty sure once you request a replacement, there's some visual indicators and you are unable to request more replacements for another week, regardless of whether or not you requested one or twelve.

Yes there is. The 'Ready and unready' numbers are grey not white. The difference is subtle but is is there. You can only take replacement once a week irrespective of land or ship based. I always turn replacements off at the start of a game for both a/c and pilots. I leave pilots off but a/c I turn back on if the pools are big enough to cope with it. As someone said a/c in CV TF that enters a base can be pretty chewed up and can drain the pools. Normally back to full completement after 2 weeks.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI