You have been warned! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

crsutton -> You have been warned! (2/6/2013 4:18:51 AM)

You Allied fanboys that are getting near 1945 should be aware that in 2/45 all American medium and heavy bomber units expand. You won't have near enough planes to fill them out but worse for me is how I ignored my pilot pools. I was feeling good about the number of trained pilots but the unit expansions create a need for over 600 trained bomber pilots. Better start training now.....[:-]

Of course, it does not necessarily hurt you to have all those units expand...

Cpt Sherwood -> RE: You have been warned! (2/6/2013 5:02:10 AM)

Thank you, I will take that warning seriously.

sanch -> RE: You have been warned! (2/6/2013 7:24:44 AM)

Me too!

For me, it's late '42 and man, am I scraping the bottom of the barrel for bomber pilots.

Sredni -> RE: You have been warned! (2/6/2013 9:41:45 AM)

I ran into this the first time I ran an AI game late war. I had let my training slide since I seemed to be keeping up with demand well enough and then BAM. Bomber units just exploded in number and size. At the time I was just futzing around with making sure all my bomber pilots were these elite 70/70 ground/nav bombers with many cross trained in nav search, ASW and so on and didn't have anywhere near enough bomber pilots to fill all the new units and expanded units.

With the late war demand for bomber pilots I would suggest to anyone playing allies to simply churn out as many 50xp/65(ish) ground pilots as possible right from the start, and to not let up. Just keep pouring em into your pools.

Don't neglect the navS and ASW pilots you might need, but don't go crazy training them up either.

crsutton -> RE: You have been warned! (2/6/2013 2:41:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni

I ran into this the first time I ran an AI game late war. I had let my training slide since I seemed to be keeping up with demand well enough and then BAM. Bomber units just exploded in number and size. At the time I was just futzing around with making sure all my bomber pilots were these elite 70/70 ground/nav bombers with many cross trained in nav search, ASW and so on and didn't have anywhere near enough bomber pilots to fill all the new units and expanded units.

With the late war demand for bomber pilots I would suggest to anyone playing allies to simply churn out as many 50xp/65(ish) ground pilots as possible right from the start, and to not let up. Just keep pouring em into your pools.

Don't neglect the navS and ASW pilots you might need, but don't go crazy training them up either.

Yep it is going to be quantity over quality for a while. I leave the nav search to the navy boys and don't bother much with ASW any more as there are not enough enemy subs to worry about. Think I will reserve my best pilots for the B29s.

AW1Steve -> RE: You have been warned! (2/6/2013 3:33:50 PM)

One argument in favor of using TRACOM (as kind of an Uber Reserve). I always keep large quantities of obsolete aircraft in stateside squadrons as training squadrons . And it's a good use for HQ squadrons that are too small to be any use in combat.

B-18's,A-20's,A-29's,SNJ's and any obsolete fighters. And of course SOC's upgrade to Naval Attack squadrons, so they are useful too. Basically you never have enough 2nd line aircraft for training.

Lokasenna -> RE: You have been warned! (2/6/2013 4:14:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

One argument in favor of using TRACOM (as kind of an Uber Reserve). I always keep large quantities of obsolete aircraft in stateside squadrons as training squadrons . And it's a good use for HQ squadrons that are too small to be any use in combat.

B-18's,A-20's,A-29's,SNJ's and any obsolete fighters. And of course SOC's upgrade to Naval Attack squadrons, so they are useful too. Basically you never have enough 2nd line aircraft for training.

I'm not sure how well this works for the Allies, but for the IJN training program in my AI games I like to spend a day each on vastly enlarging some carrier-capable units by transferring all a/c off of Hiyo and/or Junyo when they arrive, transferring a carrier capable training unit onto the CV, and resizing to 53 planes. Granted, if the unit was previously restricted it is no longer restricted, but I'm only using it for training in the HI anyway.

If that can be done with any of the Allied squadrons, particularly the USMC ones, it would help... Though not with the 4E "problem". As Japan at least, I have no problem building enough aircraft to fill out the training units. Or replacing enough second line aircraft through upgrades.

Roger Neilson 3 -> RE: You have been warned! (2/6/2013 4:39:06 PM)

Got to admit to not paying a great deal of attention to this part of the AE minutiae, but maybe I had better.... is there one of those great threads that teaches us dunces what to do?

Roger

Sredni -> RE: You have been warned! (2/6/2013 7:13:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I find I never have enough squadrons. Airframes to fill them don't seem to be a problem late war (again against the AI, if you were fighting a human and hard pressed with heavy casualties then yeah I could definitely see being short of airframes late war as well as early). But it's a balancing act as to how many squadrons you pull back to train pilots that were being used for non training tasks in the real war. The game doesn't give us the flight schools and training units that existed in real life so we have to squander combat units on those tasks instead.

You can cheat with some navy squadrons by resizing them on carriers, but that doesn't really help the army pilots.

jcjordan -> RE: You have been warned! (2/6/2013 10:52:00 PM)

I got hit w/ this myself in my game vs ai. I drained my training/backwater groups pilots into the reserve pool then drew them into the forward groups then just filled my rear area groups w/ replacements. It took a week or so to get things back in order so it wasn't a big disruption other than filling out the groups planes took much longer. When I get around to doing my custom scenario, I plan to add some kind of OTU groups to the units for doing that final training.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.734375E-02