Looking for some game suggestions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

BROJD -> Looking for some game suggestions (2/2/2013 9:39:47 AM)

I'll be looking for some new PC games soon. I and am looking to buy Silent Hunter V (I loved III) -- along with some more SWTOR. But I'm really looking for some new strategic/wargames.

Some of the games I like: Civ (all of them); Strategic Command I; Combat Mission; Rome: Total War; Sid Meierís Gettysburg; plenty of TOAOW; the old V for Victory series. (Lately Iíve been more into MMORPGs, but I always love the wargames.)

Best space-exploration game?

Any good WWIII/ColdWar games out there?

Naval games?

For WWII:
I do plan to check out Panzer Corps (is that based on the Panzer General I used to play ~1995?).
And maybe give Hearts of Iron III a shot.
I'll give the "new" Strategic Command a shot, but I still resent them for going away from the hexes they used in Strategic Command I.

I generally donít like RTS games and Iím not looking for anything of Grigsbian depth Ė just something lighter I can play in bits and pieces in between taking care of the kids and dealing with the real world -- which is why I think Panzer Corps will be a good game. Unfortunately, I don't have access to Wargamer.com right now to find out what the latest and greatest games are.

Some games I'm thinking about getting:

Flashpoint Germany
Carriers at War
Napoleon Total War
Alea Jacta Est

I'm debating between the "new" Strategic Command game (from Battlefront) and Strategic War in Europe. How is SWiE? I tried Time of Fury and could not get into it.

Space games:
XCOM Enemy Unknown
Sins of a Solar Empire
Endless Space
Distant Worlds
Sword of the Stars II
Star Drive

Unfortunately, I have limited computer access now and most game websites are blocked, so I can't access reviews for any of these games. I'm surprised, shocked, and excited that I can at least access this forum.

Any suggestions on some good wargames I should try out soon? Any good comments on the games I've listed above?

wodin -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/2/2013 2:57:16 PM)

AJE or Birth of Rome
Decisive campaigns Case Blue
Command Ops BFTB
You best wait for Flashpoint germany 2 I think
NWS Steam and Iron (A superb WW1 naval wargame)
Wait for Command Modern Naval\Air Operations
Strategic Command WW1 (If you fancy a WW1 game) (The next SC game will be hexes I believe)
Achtung Panzer Op Star
Pandora looks interesting...

**budd** -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/2/2013 3:45:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BROJD

Ė just something lighter I can play in bits and pieces in between taking care of the kids and dealing with the real world -

I can relate. Here's my play list for those occasions.

Battle Academy series- i think of it as a really lite steel panthers
Combat Command- old school graphics, phase game play, alot of bang for your buck scenario wise
Conflict of Heroes- recently purchased, tactical, action by action game play.
Unity of Command- another recent purchase, I've only played a little of. Really well done UI,

All these games are pretty quick to get up and running on and can be played out in short sessions. There all WW2 but all play differently. You can check all of them in threads here at Matrix.

When i have more time and what to get more depth, I've been playing DC Case Blue and APOS.

Sarge -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/2/2013 3:48:59 PM)

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-397-twilight-struggle-digital-edition-windows-pc.aspx

Twilight Struggle - The Computer Game
http://youtu.be/RREGJxtLjeE

**budd** -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/2/2013 4:05:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-397-twilight-struggle-digital-edition-windows-pc.aspx

Twilight Struggle - The Computer Game
http://youtu.be/RREGJxtLjeE

that sounds really interesting, thx Sarge. Please update if you come across new info or it is released. Going to go read about the board game and see if i want to get into that P500 thing, thx again.

vonRocko -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/2/2013 5:14:54 PM)

My advice, stay away from silent hunter V. The game is broke and never will be fixed as support was dropped long ago. It's not in the same league as Silent HunterIII.

wodin -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/2/2013 5:38:19 PM)

VonRocko..with a big mod soup I had a great time with SH5.

BROJD...budd recommends a good selection

BROJD -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/3/2013 1:27:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

AJE or Birth of Rome
Decisive campaigns Case Blue
Command Ops BFTB
You best wait for Flashpoint germany 2 I think
NWS Steam and Iron (A superb WW1 naval wargame)
Wait for Command Modern Naval\Air Operations
Strategic Command WW1 (If you fancy a WW1 game) (The next SC game will be hexes I believe)
Achtung Panzer Op Star
Pandora looks interesting...

Thanks.

Flashpoint Germany 2 looks promising -- I'll definitely wait for that one.

Any idea when the next SC game will come out? I can't access Battlefront.com here.

I don't see much love for Panzer Corps. I guess if I go with DC: Case Blue and Command Ops BFTB there's no need to get Panzer Corps.

Orm -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/3/2013 3:59:41 PM)

quote:

I don't see much love for Panzer Corps.

I am fond of Panzer Korps.

And, yes, it follows in the footsteps of Panzer General.

parusski -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/3/2013 4:44:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

I don't see much love for Panzer Corps.

I am fond of Panzer Korps.

And, yes, it follows in the footsteps of Panzer General.

Well I love Panzer Corps.

warspite1 -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/3/2013 8:49:04 PM)

CTGW

parusski -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/3/2013 9:27:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

CTGW

+1

BROJD -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/4/2013 1:28:32 PM)

CTGW? I find it hard to get excited about anything WWI. Just a personal preference.

martok -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/21/2013 5:04:36 PM)

As far as space exploration games are concerned, Distant Worlds is unquestionably the best of the ones you mentioned.

BROJD -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/22/2013 6:31:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: martok

As far as space exploration games are concerned, Distant Worlds is unquestionably the best of the ones you mentioned.

Thanks. I'm still waffling between DW and Endless Space. If only there was a demo...

martok -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/22/2013 4:07:55 PM)

You're welcome!

By the by, I just realized I should qualify my previous statement: I've not truly played StarDrive yet, so you probably want to bear that in mind. (I'm in the beta, but my old computer simply doesn't want to run it, so I'll have to wait til I upgrade to a new PC in a month or so. [:(] ) From what I've seen of StarDrive, it *does* still appear there's a lot more to explore/discover in DW, but I would be lying if I said I could claim that based on direct personal experience.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BROJD

quote:

ORIGINAL: martok

Thanks. I'm still waffling between DW and Endless Space. If only there was a demo...

Indeed.

I think a demo would especially help the former. I know of so many folks who have expressed interest in Distant Wolds, but have (understandably) balked at the price, the lack of a demo, or both.

barkorn45 -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/23/2013 1:11:13 PM)

War in the Pacific-AE edition!

BROJD -> RE: Looking for some game suggestions (2/25/2013 5:09:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: barkorn45

War in the Pacific-AE edition!

It looks cool.

But no demo. And $80??!!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI