Why the "third party resolution" concept is not widely applied? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

mitra76 -> Why the "third party resolution" concept is not widely applied? (1/25/2013 6:00:26 PM)

I think the concept of permit the external resolution of combat result should be more widely applied in computer wargames; as far I know only Empire in arms have it. THis would permit to the modders much more possibility to manage meta-campaigns. The same for the possibility to manage the creation of quick scenario editing "user-friendly input files" and having a result feedback on "output files editable". This will permit to the modders, linked to first concept, to create "adapters" tools for link different game, turn-based with realtimes. How about fight one clash in WITE with the new Command Ops Eastern Front? Fight a battle in the Forge of Freedom with Scourge of War? A tactical battle in Case Blue with Ostfront?

wodin -> RE: Why the "third party resolution" concept is not widely applied? (1/25/2013 7:50:52 PM)

I can see a developer making a series of games like this..but highly unlikely you'd get cross overs between different games working well. I imagine balance issues etc being a nightmare.

mitra76 -> RE: Why the "third party resolution" concept is not widely applied? (1/25/2013 8:00:01 PM)

Not cross-over; they must not make the game compatible or balanced with others: only permit external input-output of informations via file for their quick scenarios, or permit third party combat resolution like EiA.

Josh -> RE: Why the "third party resolution" concept is not widely applied? (1/25/2013 8:24:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I can see a developer making a series of games like this..but highly unlikely you'd get cross overs between different games working well. I imagine balance issues etc being a nightmare.

Like the boss says; highly unlikely.
At least I can't see it happening in the near or far future. And I haven't seen it in 30 years of pc/console gaming. Maybe in a far far future, maybe.
Mitra is not alone though, once in a while this idea pops up, but it never materializes.

mitra76 -> RE: Why the "third party resolution" concept is not widely applied? (1/25/2013 8:35:35 PM)

I repeat: the problem is not that the game must be created compatible with other games, but must be interface oriented: so to accept some forms of input\output interaction using files: own proper format file, but always editable and which can be reproduced by the modders. Of course the nature of input\output would depend from the game nature. in EiA the external file enter in action in the battle resolution and this is a good mode for a grand-strategic turn based game. In a tactical realtime, the input\output might enter in action in scenarios generation (PZOC random editor doesn't create a file, read by the game?), Scourge permit to create scenarios using CSV files and generate output file for battle results, and sure, when will be possible play in multi with the nap mod, some sort of connection with EiA will be possible. Will be the modders who reading, mapping, balancing would create the links between the games.

wodin -> RE: Why the "third party resolution" concept is not widely applied? (1/25/2013 9:47:40 PM)

Eitherway you'll still get balance issues going from one to another..

mitra76 -> RE: Why the "third party resolution" concept is not widely applied? (1/25/2013 10:11:08 PM)

Of course, but this is the work of modder. YOu're not forced to use the full information of a game in another, but you can create a logical link between them, which is the main purpose of a meta-campaign

sulla05 -> RE: Why the "third party resolution" concept is not widely applied? (1/26/2013 12:27:09 AM)

You have a great idea but implementation is where it will fail.

There have been a few games that tried it on their own ie. going from strategic to tactical or grand tactical and they never worked.

I have heard of a few that you were able to use tabletop wargames to simulate the tactical battle.

mitra76 -> RE: Why the "third party resolution" concept is not widely applied? (1/26/2013 10:38:47 AM)

quote:

There have been a few games that tried it on their own ie. going from strategic to tactical or grand tactical and they never worked.

They fail because they tried to implement all these faces in the same game, but being interface oriented means only you must leave in the game the possibility of external interaction in part of your game, like I described above, and this is of course part of project phase of game, but it doesn't mean change or extension the gameplay ideas.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI