OT - Wish gramps was here to see this... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Sakai007 -> OT - Wish gramps was here to see this... (1/24/2013 11:38:14 PM)

It's been four years since my grandfather died, and I still miss him dearly. One thing he always wanted was to see a picture of his ship taken during the war. His mother swore that she saw his DD on a news reel during the war, but neither of us ever managed to see it in any documentary we watched (many) while I was growing up.

Well, today that changed somewhat. I don't know why I didn't try this sooner, but I yahoo searched his ships name, and no kidding came across a single pic taken during WWII.

Jan 27, 1944. Picture was taken by an aircraft launched from the USS Enterprise CV-6 en route to strike a target in the Marshall Islands.

DD-652 USS Ingersoll

[image]local://upfiles/41441/94D500A8A69444A79D0DE96F4DEF8A2E.jpg[/image]

Kwik E Mart -> RE: OT - Wish gramps was here to see this... (1/24/2013 11:39:33 PM)

...i'm sure he's up there somewhere smiling! [:)]

jetjockey -> RE: OT - Wish gramps was here to see this... (1/25/2013 12:10:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

...i'm sure he's up there somewhere smiling! [:)]

+1 [:)]

Capt Hornblower -> RE: OT - Wish gramps was here to see this... (1/25/2013 4:09:58 AM)

Given his grandson's nom de guerre, I'd say he's probably NOT smiling.

Gary Childress -> RE: OT - Wish gramps was here to see this... (1/25/2013 4:23:28 AM)

Saburo Sakai was an honorable Japanese pilot according to what I've heard of him. From what I understand he was against the whole kamikaze thing. I remember seeing a 3D generated animation depicting his encounter with Pug Sutherland over Guadalcanal once. Very noble man it seems to me. I'm sure Sakai007's grandfather is somewhere up there appreciating the absurdities of war, pitting noble human beings against other noble human beings. It's the Tojos who are the real monsters. [:)]

Sakai007 -> RE: OT - Wish gramps was here to see this... (1/25/2013 8:50:16 AM)

Heh, thanks for the comments. My grandfather was the one who gave me a copy of "Samurai!" to read as a teenager, so I think he would mind the Sakai handle much. He had some close encounters with Japanese aircraft during radar picket duty off Okinawa, including being clipped by a Tony! His favorite story was that of picking up US Navy Hellcat ace Alexander Vraciu after he ditched his bird near their DD. That man was worth his weight in ice cream when they sent him back to his ship.

obvert -> RE: OT - Wish gramps was here to see this... (1/25/2013 11:10:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sakai007

Heh, thanks for the comments. My grandfather was the one who gave me a copy of "Samurai!" to read as a teenager, so I think he would mind the Sakai handle much. He had some close encounters with Japanese aircraft during radar picket duty off Okinawa, including being clipped by a Tony! His favorite story was that of picking up US Navy Hellcat ace Alexander Vraciu after he ditched his bird near their DD. That man was worth his weight in ice cream when they sent him back to his ship.

Great story. Amazing to have seen those events and for you to hear about an ace getting plucked like that by your grandpa's ship. I bet Vraciu didn't lose 'experience' after getting hit and ditching, either. [;)]

Very cool to imagine you could be looking at your grandfather as well, one of those small white figures on deck.

dr.hal -> RE: OT - Wish gramps was here to see this... (1/25/2013 4:59:46 PM)

Very interesting, thanks for sharing..Hal

DivePac88 -> RE: OT - Wish gramps was here to see this... (1/25/2013 8:15:27 PM)

Don't worry Sakai007, as I think your Grandfather is back aboard USS Ingersoll now forever, happy, and smiling back at us. [:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI