KIng would kick my ............ (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

ilovestrategy -> KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 3:13:39 AM)

Well, I thought that I would bring the Enterprise near the French Shoals and wait for the Lexington and Saratoga to show up so I could avoid the rule of "don't send one carrier against the KB". Well, it looks like the KB had other plans for the Enterprise.........

[image]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l232/mymyharlow/Enterprisesunk.png[/image]

wdolson -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 3:28:42 AM)

A better rendezvous is SW of PH. Going after the KB around Hawaii in the early going is probably a losing strategy. Do what the USN did in the real war and go after soft targets for a few months until all experience is improved.

Bill

ilovestrategy -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 4:20:42 AM)

Well fiddlesticks. It's a good thing for me that Witp players cannot be court martialed!

DivePac88 -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 7:22:58 AM)

I have tattooed on the back of my eyelids... 'don't go anywhere near KB, in 1941-42', no matter what, never ever, with anything that floats. [:-]

denisonh -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 7:41:21 AM)

The FULL KB is nothing to mess with as the Allies early. But a "split" KB far away from home can be a good opportunity for the Allies in early 42 if you can mass 3-4 CVs against it.
quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

I have tattooed on the back of my eyelids... 'don't go anywhere near KB, in 1941-42', no matter what, never ever, with anything that floats. [:-]

ilovestrategy -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 10:14:27 AM)

Well, I thought that the French Shoals would be a safe place for my carriers to meet while the %@#^&*&( Nips beat up Pearl. I was wrong! [sm=sad-1361.gif]

Colonel Mustard -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 12:41:39 PM)

Maybe you should change your screen name to "i love s-tragedy."[:)]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 3:12:49 PM)

Forget about King. You should jusst do the honorable thing and throw yourself overboard. [:)]

bradfordkay -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 5:15:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Well, I thought that the French Shoals would be a safe place for my carriers to meet while the %@#^&*&( Nips beat up Pearl. I was wrong! [sm=sad-1361.gif]

I have to say that I just don't understand that line of thinking. When watching the Dec 7 replay, you see that the KB is launching their attack from NNW of Pearl Harbor. French Frigate Shoals lies NW of Pearl Harbor.

Tell us the truth... what booze were you drinking that told you that this was a good location for tucking away the Enterprise TF?

[:'(]

Razz -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 5:37:00 PM)

On my first game the Enterprise got hit and laid up for two months at PH.

Then I took the Saratoga out and it was hit by a sub and laid up for 6 months.

Only one carrier left on the 3rd turn!

kaleun -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 5:51:50 PM)

Check out my "Rumble in the north pacific AAR" KB overstayed its welcome and allowed me to:
a)Sink their oilers and b)get a few hits on several carriers probably[X(] sinking two of them at the cost of Enterprise.

nashvillen -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 8:25:19 PM)

+1 [:D]
quote:

ORIGINAL: denisonh

The FULL KB is nothing to mess with as the Allies early. But a "split" KB far away from home can be a good opportunity for the Allies in early 42 if you can mass 3-4 CVs against it.
quote:

DivePac88 -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 8:44:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

Kaga and a few CVL's or even 1 division of KB, doesn't make a full KB. If you Have 3, or even better 4 large flightdecks, and are under your LBA search, Maybe. But you are taking a big gamble, and an intact carrier force is a better deterrent in 1941-42 that one on the bottom.

denisonh -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/20/2013 8:59:37 PM)

Agreed that it is a reasonable option only under favorable conditions such as supported with LBA. Only when the Allies have a decided advantage in conditions and numbers is it a good risk.
quote:

quote:

quote:

Kaga and a few CVL's or even 1 division of KB, doesn't make a full KB. If you Have 3, or even better 4 large flightdecks, and are under your LBA search, Maybe. But you are taking a big gamble, and an intact carrier force is a better deterrent in 1941-42 that one on the bottom.

ilovestrategy -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/21/2013 12:36:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

I have to say that I just don't understand that line of thinking. When watching the Dec 7 replay, you see that the KB is launching their attack from NNW of Pearl Harbor. French Frigate Shoals lies NW of Pearl Harbor.

Tell us the truth... what booze were you drinking that told you that this was a good location for tucking away the Enterprise TF?

[:'(]

Well to you maybe it's a given. You know how to tell where the KB is striking from. I haven't even figured out how to do that. Last night I practiced moving units around and checking which ships are damaged at Pearl.

I now know how to find a ship and see what TF it is in, and I know how to take ships out of a TF to make a new one.

But one thing is for sure. I read these forums daily and I know for a FACT that losing the Enterprise on December 9th is not the biggest blunder anyone has made in this game. [:D][:D][:D]

One question. Is there a particular AAR that would be good for me to read?

bradfordkay -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/21/2013 12:58:49 AM)

During the replay, there is a red line showing the general direction from which any air attack is coming. The line gets longer if the raid has been tracked better, and can go all the way to the actual point of origin in some cases (usually carrier battles where both sides attack each other).

crsutton -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/21/2013 1:11:30 AM)

I really think that the "only" way a decent Allied player can lose the game is if he pisses away his carriers in 1942. Otherwise, it takes a lot of work to blow it.[:-]

jeffk3510 -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/21/2013 2:18:19 AM)

Two days in... Ouch!

Encircled -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/21/2013 9:34:50 AM)

There is (or was) an excellent first couple of turns AAR from Sardaukar.

I just booted it up, cross checked with that, and proceeded to play.

GreyJoy -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/21/2013 9:58:29 AM)

The best training school is to skip the whole AI part, find a strong and experienced PBEM opponent and then become his training ground for the next two years. After two years of defeats, tears and curses you'll then start to learn something [:D]

Obviously i was talking about two RL years[;)]

Seriously, for the Japanese side, Mike Solli's AAR is a must. For the allied side i think CR's ones are very very good to learn cause he's a wonderfull writer and spends lot of time explaining his strategic views

crsutton -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/21/2013 3:57:42 PM)

Yep, I am with GJ here. You only will develop false assumptions and bad habits playing the AI. Best to play a human.

GreyJoy -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/21/2013 4:21:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Yep, I am with GJ here. You only will develop false assumptions and bad habits playing the AI. Best to play a human.

And you my friend should start playing DBB! Allied naval flak is so damned intense and effective that you would immediately love it![;)]

crsutton -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/21/2013 5:41:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

And you my friend should start playing DBB! Allied naval flak is so damned intense and effective that you would immediately love it![;)]

Unfortunately, I can't get Viberpol to submit and surrender. He just starting make Okha bombs and is pretty damn excited about it...[;)] I think we are going to make it to 1946. Which means another year of my life.

jeffk3510 -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/23/2013 7:29:31 PM)

I would agree with you both on the PBEM part for learning.

The only drawback is pace...I have an AI game going that will never complain if I don't do a turn in a resonable time.

Our opponents have never once complained...

Numdydar -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/24/2013 1:39:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

The best training school is to skip the whole AI part, find a strong and experienced PBEM opponent and then become his training ground for the next two years. After two years of defeats, tears and curses you'll then start to learn something [:D]

Obviously i was talking about two RL years[;)]

Seriously, for the Japanese side, Mike Solli's AAR is a must. For the allied side i think CR's ones are very very good to learn cause he's a wonderfull writer and spends lot of time explaining his strategic views

Wow just two years lol. My friend and I just hit 2.5 RL years and most likely have a least a year to go [X(] (July '44 now)

bradfordkay -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/24/2013 3:29:57 AM)

Chez and I started Christmas day, 2009, on our present game and are only up to March 1944...

Colonel Mustard -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/25/2013 3:04:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Chez and I started Christmas day, 2009, on our present game and are only up to March 1944...

This is a good time for me to hijack the thread with a question I've had....

The game has been out there for about 3 to 3-1/2 years now. How many games have been played all the way to the end (1946) and run out the clock? And were they one-day turns, or faster? I know its hard to know for sure, but any best guesses, or rumors of completed games?

ilovestrategy -> RE: KIng would kick my ............ (1/26/2013 6:19:54 AM)

I'd like to know that too.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.148438E-02