Bombardment Question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

abulbulian -> Bombardment Question (1/15/2013 8:39:57 PM)

I've been battling the Chinese back and forth which now has essentially come down to my large stack vs his large stack. During a combat the Japanese bombarded first and in the battle report took loses (about half) the Chinese loses also the Chinese bombarded back in the same battle. Quantitatively the Japanese had about 4x as many guns as the Chinese.

Now it gets weird, because the next battle to occur is the Chinese bombarding the Japanese, however only the Japanese took loses. It appears the Japanese guns never fired in this 2nd battle? What gives? How were the Chinese able to essentially bombard twice and the Japanese once?

Hope somebody can explain this to me, because at this point I'm a bit disillusioned about how the combat engine is working in WitP:AE for ground units and air ground attacks.

Thanks

Lokasenna -> RE: Bombardment Question (1/15/2013 9:00:31 PM)

It is the weakest part of the game, for sure. It's mostly a mystery to me as well - I just try to make sure my units have plenty of supplies, good leaders, and low fatigue/disruption. I have noticed that the more disrupted a unit is, or the lower on supplies, the more likely it is to suffer damage from aerial bombing and land bombardment. Having HQs around to help repair disabled squads also helps, probably.

abulbulian -> RE: Bombardment Question (1/15/2013 9:06:48 PM)

My Japanese arty & inf units had plenty of supply and were disruption 0 and fatigue 2-4 when the turn results ran.

Lokasenna -> RE: Bombardment Question (1/15/2013 11:40:44 PM)

Perhaps there was some Fog of War going on?

Capt Hornblower -> RE: Bombardment Question (1/16/2013 12:11:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
Perhaps there was some Fog of War going on?

If FoW was selected, you will not get a true report of the opponent's losses. In actions consisting of bombardment only, this frequently results in reports of no losses to the enemy because there are so few losses to begin with.

Alfred -> RE: Bombardment Question (1/16/2013 2:47:40 AM)

Particularly if you are playing pre 1108p5, subject to the same circumstances pertaining (insufficient info provided by the OP) the answer is found in this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2859420&mpage=1&key=artillery%2Crange

Look for posts #29, #30, #85 and #88. All are from michaelm.

Alfred

Itdepends -> RE: Bombardment Question (1/16/2013 9:41:17 AM)

Who owns the hex and what are the relative fort levels (yours and the Chinese). High fort levels reduce the casualties to defenders.

abulbulian -> RE: Bombardment Question (1/16/2013 9:51:45 PM)

Chinese own the hex. They next turn, both sides did fire on both bombardment initiated combats. Sorry issue seems to have corrected itself.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI