Halted/Halting (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Command Ops Series

RockinHarry -> Halted/Halting (1/13/2013 1:57:40 AM)

Can someone remind me of what "halted" or "halting" means for a non moving/ non attacking unit? In case of my entrenched defender, who has not any orders at all, what does halting/halted indicate? Iīm aware what it means for a moving or attacking unit, but a non moving defender in entrenchments? What exactly is "halted" in this case?

[image]http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5552/halting.jpg[/image]

Lieste -> RE: Halted/Halting (1/13/2013 2:14:15 AM)

Not sure, but at a guess I'd assume 'pinned' or 'suppressed' reducing the ability to return effective fires, and to delay any pending moves.

wodin -> RE: Halted/Halting (1/13/2013 2:19:02 AM)

Looks like a possible bug come about from the code being chnaged for halting..Probably has no averse effect on the game though.

Arjuna -> RE: Halted/Halting (1/13/2013 2:28:35 AM)

A unit that is stationery and chooses to halt in place is just cowering or taking cover and therefore is less likely to fire back. This happens particularl;y when the unit is deployed or better and would otherwise have retreated.

wodin -> RE: Halted/Halting (1/13/2013 2:42:26 AM)

Cool..Dave any chance you could change the wording to taking cover..really for immersion purposes..

RockinHarry -> RE: Halted/Halting (1/13/2013 2:46:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

A unit that is stationery and chooses to halt in place is just cowering or taking cover and therefore is less likely to fire back. This happens particularl;y when the unit is deployed or better and would otherwise have retreated.

Thanks! That pretty much supports my guesses from further observations. [:)] I switched to rout status icon (F2) and figured, static defenders on "halting" are something like "wavering", which would probably a better term for this particular status message.

wodin -> RE: Halted/Halting (1/13/2013 2:55:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockinHarry

quote:

Thanks! That pretty much supports my guesses from further observations. [:)] I switched to rout status icon (F2) and figured, static defenders on "halting" are something like "wavering", which would probably a better term for this particular status message.

Wavering sounds to extreme if they are just taking cover or keeping their heads down..taking cover I think would be best.Unless the halt is a sign that they will rout soon then wavering would work.

Arjuna -> RE: Halted/Halting (1/13/2013 4:04:39 AM)

We already use the term Taking Cover as a deployment status type.

wodin -> RE: Halted/Halting (1/13/2013 4:29:31 AM)

OK..I haven't noticed to be honest,then again rarely do I check the unit log. I should do really though.

Is any effect going on when Halt comes up in the log..i.e is the unit taking faster suppression or something? If so heavily suppressed or something like that or pinned even as they want to retreat but can't or don't because they are entrenched.

Not a biggie really as it's only a word..just thinking of immersion to give the player an idea of whats happening to the unit at the time also any new player will understand whats going on.

Arjuna -> RE: Halted/Halting (1/13/2013 4:40:23 AM)

Usually a unit halts in place rather than retreat because it's safer to stay put.

wodin -> RE: Halted/Halting (1/13/2013 4:57:34 AM)

quote:

Usually a unit halts in place rather than retreat because it's safer to stay put.

Yeah I understand that. Again just trying to think of another word other than Halting as it sounds as if they where moving up until that point even though they weren't. How about Holding ground...

RockinHarry -> RE: Halted/Halting (1/13/2013 5:12:38 AM)

The particular unit, of which the log is shown in the screenshot, was entrenched in a village, but was actually little "threatened" ( DF or IF) nor had suppression (0). It also showed "halted" exclusively for a duration of about 2 hours, with updating intervalls of between 10 to 15 minutes. A particular feature of this situation, was that it was rather "isolated" in the area, no apparent LOS to friendlies (combination of terrain + weather setting), although beeing in effective command range (~ 1km to Btl HQ). After any enemy units got out of sight (retreating or moving away), log entries vanished entirely. (reverted back to waiting/entrenched)

So this particular "halting" might have been triggered by (feel of) battlefield isolation.

Another infantry unit, well entrenched in a woods very much stood firm, in the face of about 3 to 1 odds attackers, but started to "halting", when another enemy unit appeard on one flank. Soon after, this unit retreated in actually good order (little suppression, good cohesion, negligible losses taken). This unit was framed by friendlies in good order. A particular feature of this retreater was, that it had requested emergency supply, shortly before the orderly retreat.

Here the flank attack, as well as going low on ammo, might have been the trigger.

Both mentioned units had no orders been given ( I simply left the whole force alone, for testing purposes. The superior player unit HQ, was a divisional HQ).

RockinHarry -> RE: Halted/Halting (1/17/2013 4:29:04 PM)

Some more loud thinking...

Halted/Halting units in defense also indicate that enemies (or too many of them) yield a certain amount of "effective fire" possibilities on the defender, no matter if enemies actually shoot or not. So oftentimes itīs just enough to see the enemies coming close, to trigger the halted/halting status, making it a very possible "retreat/rout" candidate for the immediate future. As said, thatīs independent from any suppression or cohesion effects, which could be constantly nil, while the halted/halting status keeps active and the rout indicator blinking constantly.

For now, Iīll take it as "warning" indicator and prepare for the worst...[X(]

wodin -> RE: Halted/Halting (1/17/2013 5:03:28 PM)

What you say Harry makes sense if it just means they are keeping low..spot enemy..keep your head down..

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.953125E-02