Need advice on color shade (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding

Hotschi -> Need advice on color shade (1/11/2013 10:33:14 PM)

Trying to get some late war planes appearing an all-blue scheme - as far as I know there's no Dauntless or Avenger available in this scheme - so I played around with a Avenger bmp. I just took any Avenger bmp I could find.

This is what it looks now;

[image]local://upfiles/33878/DB372AD169E44BF2AE368023CFDF8359.jpg[/image]

Looks a bit... well odd. Needs to be darker me thinks?

Halsey -> RE: Need advice on color shade (1/13/2013 3:03:50 AM)

Here's your same TBM.
Had to use my Adobe Photoshop, then re-whiten the background to draw opaque on a new background.

[image]local://upfiles/10836/C2176C5B65404F91A8497A29AE7BF43C.jpg[/image]

Reg -> RE: Need advice on color shade (1/13/2013 4:52:43 AM)

The reason I didn't put overall Glossy Sea Blue for these types in the Revolving Aircraft Artwork Set was as follows:

Bureau of Aeronautics, SR-2d - Amendment 1, "Specification for Exterior Colors, Insignia and Markings of Naval Aircraft" - Fighter Scheme was issued on 13 March 1944 and authorised overall blue for fighters. Bombers appear to have remained in the three colour Standard Camouflage Scheme.

Bureau of Aeronautics, SR-2e dated 26 Jun 1944 seems to have extended overall Glossy Sea Blue to all Carrier-based Aircraft though similar shore-based aircraft were not mentioned, so they kept the basic nonspecular (three colour) camouflage scheme.

Ref: http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/usn_e.htm

However, very few wartime aircraft were repainted whilst in service so in actual practice the updated colour specifications were only applied to new aircraft. It would have been some months before the new colours applied at the factory arrived at the front line squadrons. Older aircraft soldiered on with the livery they were delivered in. This process can be seen in sites like WINGS PALETTE where Glossy Sea Blue for TBMs only appears "circa 1945" and there is a mixture of old and new schemes until 1946 when the Glossy Sea Blue becomes prevalent. (Either the USN started repainting their planes or the older ones had been retired).

The Revolving Aircraft Artwork set reflects this by new aircraft models which appear in late '44 or '45 having Glossy Sea Blue colour schemes whilst the older ones retain their three tone schemes. With only one graphic for each aircraft type, it's all of a bit of a compromise but what can you do??

Hotschi -> RE: Need advice on color shade (1/13/2013 7:17:01 PM)

Excellent Halsey, your blue is way better than mine. I too used Photoshop, first reducing the colors to b/w then applied "80 per cent overlay" of the blue color (I use a German Photoshop version, don't know the English terms of the various tools) to keep the structural background of the plane.

Now If you find the time to do a planetops, and also do the same with the SBD, I'd be very thankful again! [:D]

Reg, I do not question your reasoning why you didn't do this scheme. I was sure before that you had a very good reason for it. The reason I want to get carrier-based planes in this scheme, is pretty simple; the game ends in March 1946. By this time, I reckon, there'd be enough newly manufactured planes arriving at the front line, so why not have them appear in Glossy Sea Blue [:D]

Halsey -> RE: Need advice on color shade (1/13/2013 11:24:33 PM)

SBD

[image]local://upfiles/10836/7CB5E06B805C4DA9B8A666D25D096CF3.jpg[/image]

Halsey -> RE: Need advice on color shade (1/13/2013 11:25:15 PM)

TBM Top

[image]local://upfiles/10836/89992C5E806E429AB4755949BFEC452B.jpg[/image]

Halsey -> RE: Need advice on color shade (1/13/2013 11:25:59 PM)

SBD Top

[image]local://upfiles/10836/ED7E96EF899242A9A9B1B292C7F9725B.jpg[/image]

Halsey -> RE: Need advice on color shade (1/13/2013 11:26:33 PM)

Here you go!

You'll have to renumber them though.[:D]

Reg -> RE: Need advice on color shade (1/14/2013 9:34:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

Reg, I do not question your reasoning why you didn't do this scheme. I was sure before that you had a very good reason for it. The reason I want to get carrier-based planes in this scheme, is pretty simple; the game ends in March 1946. By this time, I reckon, there'd be enough newly manufactured planes arriving at the front line, so why not have them appear in Glossy Sea Blue [:D]

Hi Hotschi, No problems at all. I was just letting you know why the art work wasn't there.

Are you aware how you can install Halsey's art so it will automatically replace the three tone scheme at some time in '45?

If not, let me know and I'll post the instructions for you. It's pretty simple.

Hotschi -> RE: Need advice on color shade (1/15/2013 7:51:33 PM)

Thank you Halsey, very much appreciated!

Reg thanks for the offer, but I know it in theory how it works - the same way as all the other rotating art work made by you. [;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI