Lvov Pocket (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room

SuluSea -> Lvov Pocket (1/3/2013 2:12:10 PM)

Hi all , I'm trying to refine my Lvov Pocket attack plan. I have a few revisions of my latest but I like what I have here.

In the past I had some Panzer Divisions west of the Seret , I'd guess east of the Seret will assist in further exploitation on turn two. My other thought is splitting the Panzer Divisions up and seperating them by more than a few hexes cuts down on their movement options next turn. As you may be able to tell the seperate PD's all all relatively close to each other if reforming divisions is the option chosen.

I'm always willing to refine tactics depending on what seasoned players say.

Thanks.

[image]http://i47.tinypic.com/jq5f29.jpg[/image]

Walloc -> RE: Lvov Pocket (1/3/2013 2:47:46 PM)

Look at Sapers Lvov pockets/AARs or in this case maybe his opponents. The one vs HarryBanana comes to mind. Urs is very "tight" but his are larger.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

SuluSea -> RE: Lvov Pocket (1/3/2013 2:53:49 PM)

Will do Rasmus. Thanks!! [:)]

HITMAN202 -> RE: Lvov Pocket (1/3/2013 2:55:51 PM)

Look at Sapper-Harrybanana (one day I have to ask where he got that name ... maybe, on the other hand, I shouldn't.) The 8 units just west of Rovno need to be included in the net.

Also it's key to form a pocket around Brest-Livosek. Ketza is the best example of to follow (IMO.)

Michael T. , IMO, was the catalyst in motivating others to find the best opening. Prior to the increase in regiment MP cost by a recent patch, he had an unbelieveable opening. You can look at his opening move in a game against Kamil (it's in the first part of the AAR Sapper222-Kamil.) It's ridiculously good. The sucker can play this game !!!!

SuluSea -> RE: Lvov Pocket (1/3/2013 3:18:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HITMAN202

Look at Sapper-Harrybanana (one day I have to ask where he got that name ... maybe, on the other hand, I shouldn't.) The 8 units just west of Rovno need to be included in the net.

Also it's key to form a pocket around Brest-Livosek. Ketza is the best example of to follow (IMO.)

Michael T. , IMO, was the catalyst in motivating other's to find the best opening. Prior to the increase in regiment MP cost by a recent patch, he had an unbelieveable opening. You can look at his opening move in a game against Kamil (it's in the first part of the AAR Sapper222-Kamil.) It's ridiculously good. The sucker can play this game !!!!

Thanks for the tips guys. I thought if I posted my screen it would generate some feedback in helping me (and hopefully others) in getting better.

Those are very nice units to bag west of Rovno, looks like it's back to the drawing board for me. I don't read much in AARs thanks for pointing it out.
[image]http://www.digitalbusstop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Wile-E-Coyote.jpg[/image]

Hitman, I've been bouncing back and forth on surrounding the group at Brest-Litovsk and bagging them on turn 2 or routing them and gaining some extra MPs for the panzers. I'll have a look at Ketza's AAR , thanks! [:)]

HITMAN202 -> RE: Lvov Pocket (1/3/2013 3:53:28 PM)

I'm (unfortunately) schizophrenic about my the Brest pocket plans. I wax and wane like a preadolescent in love. In addressing your thoughts 1) hastening Pz movement eastwards in AGC is not a big deal. They have to wait for the infantry to move up (probably turn 4.)

Another issue is the "southern" AGC FBD (or is it FDB??) Whatever, it's push east is not that important IMO. It allows an anastomosis (I'm betraying my medical orientation) to be made with the "northern" FBD, which needs to be moved east as fast as possible. A plodding AGC southern FBD is not a big deal IMO.

A Brest pocket (probably needing the use of one, possibly two Pz divisions) can trap an additional 2-3 routed units .

Klydon -> RE: Lvov Pocket (1/3/2013 6:56:32 PM)

I personally don't like breaking down panzer/motorized divisions and to a point in the south, it is not necessary if you play your cards right.

First, it stresses your tight command limits (although there is some room in the various corps of PG1). Second as you mention, it takes some movement to recombine them and then you are at the mercy of the lowest movement available when you recombine. Splitting and then spreading out also means some lost opportunities.

In your screen shot, you miss an opportunity to knock off two forts (Russian will now disband them and recover their assets and probably run up a unit to take advantage of the level 2 fort) and also wipe out some field fortifications the Russians start with.

Hitman also brings up a good point in regards to the role of the AGS rail repair unit. Where is it in the above screen shot and what are your plans with it?

carlkay58 -> RE: Lvov Pocket (1/3/2013 10:41:41 PM)

Can't seem to upload - oh well.

Seminole -> RE: Lvov Pocket (1/3/2013 11:17:53 PM)

quote:

Can't seem to upload - oh well.

I like to use imgur.com
Very simple to use, no registration, and you can just paste the 'direct link' here inside the image button brackets

[image]http://i.imgur.com/VBJpe.jpg[/image]

SuluSea -> RE: Lvov Pocket (1/6/2013 2:42:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

I personally don't like breaking down panzer/motorized divisions and to a point in the south, it is not necessary if you play your cards right.

First, it stresses your tight command limits (although there is some room in the various corps of PG1). Second as you mention, it takes some movement to recombine them and then you are at the mercy of the lowest movement available when you recombine. Splitting and then spreading out also means some lost opportunities.

In your screen shot, you miss an opportunity to knock off two forts (Russian will now disband them and recover their assets and probably run up a unit to take advantage of the level 2 fort) and also wipe out some field fortifications the Russians start with.

Hitman also brings up a good point in regards to the role of the AGS rail repair unit. Where is it in the above screen shot and what are your plans with it?

Hi Klydon, sorry it took so long to respond as I haven't been home. Having mostly played the road to scenarios before my last runs against the AI I never experienced the supply line disconnect I did my last game in the south.

The good news is for me using some of the tips from AARs pointed out I was able to form a nice pocket west of Rovno along with severing supply to Lvov using my last save with wasted movement by some infantry that moved prior to the save. Pocketing and rail repair to help feed the front are objectives 1 and 1a. My next plan will have infantry clearing the way for the shortest route possible I'll estimate an atleast 12 hex shortfall on rail repairs because of a delay or poor routing during my last run.

In the picture shown the FBD in hex 52/79 with two hexs repaired. Unless I can find one on the site I'm going to trace out and map the shortest route for FBD 1 and help plan attacks around that route.

Thanks for the help and response.

SuluSea -> RE: Lvov Pocket (1/12/2013 5:37:12 AM)

I feel like I'm talking to myself so I guess the web is emulating real life.[;)][:D] Seriously guys, thanks for the help. I have a little bit more tinkering with a few units to make sure everything is locked down. I had the MP's to do it but made a few errors and see it after studying the map. Thanks again peeps not in my wildest dreams did I think I could get that far out on the first turn.

[image]http://i49.tinypic.com/22gr68.jpg[/image]

SuluSea -> RE: Lvov Pocket (1/12/2013 6:00:45 PM)

Here's my final attack layout in the south. I'm very happy with the results. [:)]

Thanks again guys for your time and advice.

[image]http://i49.tinypic.com/1zq5yms.jpg[/image]

Walloc -> RE: Lvov Pocket (1/13/2013 4:52:26 AM)

Hi Sulu,

If played ur self, aka tried playing the soviet turn after. I think u would see that some/bunch of the break downs arent really needed. As long as u ZoC out hexes so they cant be converted by ZoCs alone. What is posssible as soviets with the surprise rules are very limited. That way u can keep more Pz/Mot units combined and rdy to use for more pocking the following turn. That said some of teh break downs are needed, but i think/know u could get away with a tight pocket with less.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI