OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

DivePac88 -> OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 7:39:12 AM)

Pavlova is a traditional kiwi/Aussie desert that we have downunder on Christmas day, and this one has just come-out of the oven. It has been baked by Mrs Divepac for tomorrow, which is Christmas day down here. It will be served with strawberries along with lashings of whipped-cream, and will be guarded by Mrs Divepac all night. [:D]

[image]local://upfiles/30275/2651A87AA4284BFD91E287E321879740.jpg[/image]

LoBaron -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 8:32:32 AM)

A couple of things, but when it comes down to eating:

The traditional Christmas Fondue served by my mother on 26th.
4 different kinds of meat, a dozen different sauces, vegetables to hold up the impression it includes something healthy, French baguette.
Usually takes +2 hours of continous eating to be finished by the whole family.

Afterwards the same family traditionally rolls back into the living room (walking is impossible) and attempts to smile when
asked if they like coffee with their strawberry cream (while trying to ignore their own serious doubts about their ability to handle
any additional calories).

Merry Christmas, DivePac88!

Cannonfodder -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 8:43:47 AM)

Cognac!

Merry Christmas!

ilovestrategy -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 9:08:06 AM)

OMG, I want that cake. NOW.

Empire101 -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 9:18:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

Pavlova is a traditional kiwi/Aussie desert that we have downunder on Christmas day, and this one has just come-out of the oven. It has been baked by Mrs Divepac for tomorrow, which is Christmas day down here. It will be served with strawberries along with lashings of whipped-cream, and will be guarded by Mrs Divepac all night. [:D]

I'm hungry already....it looks delicious!!

sprior -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 12:43:31 PM)

Wasn't Pavlova invented in NZ? Was it Mrs Divepac?

crsutton -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 4:29:18 PM)

I am making two pecan pies today. One regular and one with broken up bits of dark chocolate in them. We are taking them down to spend the day with my wife's family tomorrow. Pity....as they eat like wolves..

castor troy -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 4:30:26 PM)

quote:

pavlova sound like a Russian tennis player [:D]

Alfred -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 4:32:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I am making two pecan pies today. One regular and one with broken up bits of dark chocolate in them. We are taking them down to spend the day with my wife's family tomorrow. Pity....as they eat like wolves..

Are you using "broken up bits of dark chocolate" because it is well known that eatingbroken cookies/biscuits is non fattening because they have no calories?[:)]

Alfred

Canoerebel -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 4:36:04 PM)

Key Lime Pie is also exempt from calories.

www.sendkeylimepie.com (using this email address, you guys can send me Key Lime Pie if you are in a generous mood)

Alfred -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 4:41:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

Close but not quite there Castor.[:)]

The official line is that the Pavlova dessert was born in honour of the mid 1930s trip downunder by the Ballet Russes which had a Russian ballerina called Pavlova. There is however a contrary theory which posits that the receipe was published much earlier.

Alfred

Cap Mandrake -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 4:49:49 PM)

I love pecan pie but the savory stuff floats my boat. That's why God hinted to man that it might be a good idea to domesticate cattle about 8000 BC...and invented salt too.

Prime rib with a great rub. Horse radish sauce. There is another example of devine intervention. Horse radish. Imagine the first hunter-gatherer who discovered horse radish.

"Ayala, this taste like ****! Go find dung beetles or something good"

And the savory rub is mainly for the end pieces. Then you get to the inside peices. Pools of liquified anaimal fat....ahhh...<eyes roll back in head>

captskillet -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 4:58:47 PM)

My grandmother's pecan pie and duck in a pickle jar.

sprior -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 5:35:03 PM)

My mum's home made mince pies. Yummy.

Icedawg -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 7:49:55 PM)

zucchini bread sprinkled with milk chocolate and peanut butter chips, sour cream sugar cookies w/ almond frosting, and bratzeli - a Swiss cookie similar to pizzelles

Yummmmmmmmmmm!

JeffK -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 7:58:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

quote:

The official line is that the Pavlova dessert was born in honour of the mid 1930s trip downunder by the Ballet Russes which had a Russian ballerina called Pavlova. There is however a contrary theory which posits that the receipe was published much earlier.

Alfred

That picture wasnt a finished Pav, it gets smothered in cream, strawberries, kiwifruit, chocolate shavings etc etc etc.[&o]

I think a Kiwi invented a "meringue cake" which didnt quite make the grade. Then an Aussie Chef tweaked it a bit and presented it in honour of Anna Pavlova, the Russian Ballerina.

When I was in Enzed in September I tried a Pavlova, while nothing wrong with it was nothing like a "pav" as we know it.

My wife also knocked up a "Pav" yesterday, ours will have Cream & Raspberries.

fcharton -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/24/2012 8:40:57 PM)

Snails, with garlic, and a slightly sweet white wine (Pouilly Fumť, this year).
And a Melun Brie to wash the taste of garlic with something stronger (and sweet white wine with that too, who wants red with cheese?)

Francois

Reg -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/25/2012 12:12:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

That picture wasnt a finished Pav, it gets smothered in cream, strawberries, kiwifruit, chocolate shavings etc etc etc.[&o]

I think a Kiwi invented a "meringue cake" which didnt quite make the grade. Then an Aussie Chef tweaked it a bit and presented it in honour of Anna Pavlova, the Russian Ballerina.

When I was in Enzed in September I tried a Pavlova, while nothing wrong with it was nothing like a "pav" as we know it.

My wife also knocked up a "Pav" yesterday, ours will have Cream & Raspberries.

Posting a picture of a naked Pavalova on a family forum!!! [X(]

Divepac, how could you?? [:D]

[image]local://upfiles/446/81E92FD6E2F143DEBE634C01987214CF.gif[/image]

Reg -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/25/2012 3:39:49 AM)

Let the battle of the Pav's begin....

[image]local://upfiles/446/D72A5A8D91DB4FE489543C8A5806E63B.jpg[/image]

DivePac88 -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/25/2012 7:00:14 AM)

Counter... Here is our Kiwi Pav plated-up, with as you can see with the whipped-cream and fruit added. This is because Mrs Divepac, who by the way is a trained Chef; wants the crust of the Pav to retain it's crunch. So she only adds the accompaniments when serving up, otherwise the beautiful Pav goes soggy - touche. [:-]

[image]local://upfiles/30275/3DA8C432038F4D8AAFCBE903D31B4104.jpg[/image]

JocMeister -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/25/2012 10:25:29 AM)

Winter Pale Ale, Christmas ham and meatballs are what makes up for a great Christmas! [:)]

Encircled -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/25/2012 11:33:29 AM)

Being woken by my 5 year old and 3 year old sons in their brand new Batman and Robin costumes.

V Cute

ny59giants -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/25/2012 12:27:53 PM)

DivePac, I need the recipe please.......

castor troy -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/25/2012 1:15:33 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

thx for the info

btw, what is inside that cake? Biscuit?

JeffK -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/25/2012 9:30:51 PM)

No, its basically a big meringue.

The good ones (and Divepac's wife looks like an expert) is crispy on the outside and soft in the centre.

The ingredients are basically egg whites and sugar.

DivePac88 -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/26/2012 7:42:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

DivePac, I need the recipe please.......

Here is the recipe for you Michael -

Mrs DivePacís Pavlova Recipe.

6 egg whites (approx 200g)
350g of sugar (castor)
1 tablespoon of cornflour
1.5 teaspoons of white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Beat eggs, vinegar and vanilla until thick, then slowly add sugar an cornflour.
Beat until stiff peaks are formed (approx 10 to 15 minutes).
Place on tray with baking paper, then bake in preheated oven at 150C/300F until it is crispy on top (takes approximately 25 minutes in Mrs DivePacís fan oven).
Serve cold with whipped cream and strawberries/fruit salad, enjoy.

Note: The longer you cook it the crisper it will be, and the less marshmallowy it will be.

DivePac88 -> RE: OT, Things I Like About Christmas. (12/26/2012 7:42:39 AM)

Opps double post. [sm=dizzy.gif]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI