dot/base hexes curtail air ops? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

larryfulkerson -> dot/base hexes curtail air ops? (12/19/2012 10:56:10 PM)

Hey you guys......Puhis and I want to know if parking a CV on a dot/base hex will cause the game engine to curail the number of planes
that fly air operations. I had a CV parked suchly and one of my offensive flights had only 5 planes in it, not the usual 25.

LoBaron -> RE: dot/base hexes curtail air ops? (12/19/2012 11:04:28 PM)

Yes, by 50%.

This applies to all base hexes (including dot bases) for CV and CVL. CVE (or CS) are not affected.

jmalter -> RE: dot/base hexes curtail air ops? (12/19/2012 11:33:36 PM)

hmm, does this 50% restriction apply to CV/CVL sqns on 100% training?

that is, do i have to move CV/CVLs to 'blue water' (& protect them w/ ASW assets) to get the best results for air-group training?

bradfordkay -> RE: dot/base hexes curtail air ops? (12/20/2012 6:12:36 AM)

EDIT: I have no idea if the restriction applies to training, since training can continue in some form with the aircraft grounded.

HansBolter -> RE: dot/base hexes curtail air ops? (12/20/2012 12:24:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

EDIT: I have no idea if the restriction applies to training, since training can continue in some form with the aircraft grounded.

Indeed, training progress even with no planes in the squadron.

geofflambert -> RE: dot/base hexes curtail air ops? (12/21/2012 9:49:58 AM)

If you're shipping your squadron by xAK, with orders to train, they will gain experience en route. However, I often take well trained crews out and replace them with recruits before shipping, that way you don't lose those good pilots if the ship is sunk. Moving even further OT, I wonder if CVs packed to operational capacity with all sqds set to 100% training do so efficiently. Anyone know?

At any rate, take heed of HansBolter, if you have a squadron that is due to be withdrawn in the near future, and it has few or no planes, do not turn "replacements on" or you'll lose those planes. Also, if you intend to use a squadron strictly for training, as in the US case especially of restricted units, don't take them to full strength, keep them at "replacements off" and in most cases "update off" (unless you actually want to downgrade them, for example to those early Helldivers)they'll train up your pilots just as fast and you can max out on the numbers of pilots in the unit with no problem. If you do downgrade a training sq., remember to turn "replacements off" so planes lost in accidents are not replaced. Also another tip, if you're trying to increase the number of "carrier trained" units and have candidate sqs that are below strength in terms of planes, you can cram more of them onto that training CV/CVE and they'll achieve the new status just the same. This brings up another question for anyone who knows, what happens if you try and carrier qualify a detachment and not the whole sq. ? Nothing I hope, sounds like cheating.

On the subject of "downgrading" don't forget if you're US that you can train fighter pilots on Seagulls (US) and Kingfishers by training them in "sweep". That's huge for the US in the early stages as trained Navy fighter pilots are at a premium.

By the way, it's really annoying on these Matrix forums that when you're trying to make corrections in your text by inserting or overtyping, it instead eats up your following text like pac-man so you're forced to retype everything. Can someone fix that?

Back on the subject of Seagulls and Kingfishers. Don't forget to upgrade all your cruiser/BB searchplanes to Kingfishers ASAP and just use the Seagulls for training. Besides training fighter pilots, don't necessarily use all your Seagull units for training in Search (although that is important for future Dauntless pilots) you can also use them to train for Naval Attack (dive bombing! but not torpedo attack).

I know this stuff is of limited use to larry, as he's one of those awful Jappies, but I don't mind highjacking his thread to train his opponents. [:'(]

bradfordkay -> RE: dot/base hexes curtail air ops? (12/21/2012 6:28:16 PM)

I use the "turn auto replacements" off button in the main menu. Then I can choose when to add replacements at my leisure.

geofflambert -> RE: dot/base hexes curtail air ops? (12/21/2012 7:39:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I use the "turn auto replacements" off button in the main menu. Then I can choose when to add replacements at my leisure.

Leisure? This isn't a game, it's work. [:-]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI