Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix

Scott Parrino -> Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/13/2012 7:54:12 PM)

Deal brings the two together to produce a strategy game based on space exploration

We are excited to announce that we have signed an exclusive deal with Buzz Aldrin Enterprises to produce a strategy game based on space exploration. The deal was secured on a hot summer morning during the Olympic Games in London and signed only a few days ago.

The game is currently in development at Polar Motion and is planned to release in 2013. Details are still to be revealed, but the deal will allow Slitherine to draw on the expansive knowledge of Buzz Aldrin, one of the first men to set foot on the Moon. The deal secures the support of Buzz Aldrin Enterprises in the promotion and exploitation of the game but more importantly grants direct access to Buzz on critical aspects of the game design.

JD McNeil, Chairman of Slitherine, said: "We are privileged and honored to have the opportunity of working with Buzz. He is an extraordinary individual and a true hero of modern history. The game will sit perfectly in our catalogue, we work in a particular niche of the videogames market and this title will fit very well. With Buzzs help we will be expanding our gaming experience into space exploration!

After a long military career in the U.S. Air Force, Buzz Aldrin joined NASA in 1963 and became the second human being to set foot on the moon during the Apollo 11 landing on July 20, 1969. When asked about the deal with Slitherine and the project, Buzz Aldrin declared: "Im very happy to be working with Slitherine on this project. Not only will it focus on the space missions I was privileged to take part in, but it will also include my Aldrin Cycler concept which incorporates my vision of how we should get to Mars."

This is another great achievement for the Slitherine Group. With an overall market landscape increasing year on year the Slitherine Group lead by JD McNeil had an annual turnover increase of 67% in its last fiscal year. Successful releases such as Battle Academy, the first full-price iPad wargame and franchises such as the Close Combat series have been major contributors to this success, and there is much more is still to be announced over the Christmas season.

Zorch -> RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/13/2012 8:49:49 PM)

Where no game company has gone before!

or

One small step for Matrix/Slitherine, one giant leap for gamers!

n01487477 -> RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/13/2012 11:40:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Where no game company has gone before!

or

One small step for Matrix/Slitherine, one giant leap for gamers!

Well Buzz Aldrin's "Race into space" by Baris (Fritz Bonner) was a magnificent game with some foibles based on the board game "Lift Off"... It is still supported actually and once in a while I boot it up and accidentally kill a load of astronauts. Damn difficult to win.

http://www.raceintospace.org/

I'll buy the new game if it builds on this worthy project or takes space exploration games in a new direction.

kentcol -> RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/14/2012 2:43:00 AM)

I just crapped me pants![&o]

sprior -> RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/14/2012 8:18:25 AM)

Corkin'

Iain McNeil -> RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/14/2012 9:47:31 AM)

BARIS is definitely a source of inspiration for the new game. Sorry BARIS = "Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space".

It is a super cool project and having had the chance to meet Buzz twice already has been great. It is extremely exciting!

n01487477 -> RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/14/2012 10:12:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

BARIS is definitely a source of inspiration for the new game. Sorry BARIS = "Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space".

It is a super cool project and having had the chance to meet Buzz twice already has been great. It is extremely exciting!

Funny... for 20 YEARS I never made the connection... I'm somewhat embarrased... thanks for joining those dots as
i always thought it was the pub.

Don't let that schoolboy mistake deter you from considering me as a beta tester though... [:'(]

Very glad to hear that BARIS is the foundation for this project... heady days and exciting stuff.

And I never get stars in my eyes ..but meeting Buzz would have been very cool.

Please make it worthy of his name, other test pilots ,astronauts and the space program...

Just finished watching a BBC series on this .. from the perspectives of both rocket designers...

Get your coders to do the same...[;)]

wodin -> RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/14/2012 3:35:48 PM)

Not my thing at all. However is this a sign that Slitherine Group are going to spread out and start making other types of games? Kerbal Space programme is popular though so I'm sure it will have a market..just not for me.

Swedewolf -> RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/14/2012 5:20:10 PM)

Love "BARIS", been playing it many years, recently early this year actually. Love to be a member of the beta team. Even Alpha Team if there is one.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/14/2012 5:42:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
Not my thing at all. However is this a sign that Slitherine Group are going to spread out and start making other types of games? Kerbal Space programme is popular though so I'm sure it will have a market..just not for me.

We've always made lots of different strategy games, and many of us also played and loved all the classic strategy titles including BARIS. Personally, this is something I'm very happy about for many reasons, but I don't see this as a different direction at all. It's a very exciting and important new project that fits in very well with our interests in history, strategy, science and space. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik

Hertston -> RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/14/2012 6:04:59 PM)

Sounds good. I also remember BARIS with some affection. 'Lift-off' had me pondering as to it's date of publication (1989?) as I seemed to recall playing it as a child - which would make it more like 1969. Turns out I was thinking of, and played this ...

[image]http://www.vintagetoysgames.co.uk/images/blast_off_bbp.jpg[/image].

... little plastic Gemini capsules and all. Very good game as I recall.

P.S. This one is crying out for a launch-time competition of some sort, with a few copies signed by Buzz as prizes?!

wodin -> RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/14/2012 6:38:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

We've always made lots of different strategy games, and many of us also played and loved all the classic strategy titles including BARIS. Personally, this is something I'm very happy about for many reasons, but I don't see this as a different direction at all. It's a very exciting and important new project that fits in very well with our interests in history, strategy, science and space. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik

I thought this was some sort of sim game rather than strategy you see..my mistake. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it will be popular..however if there is a Space game I'd like to see redone and sold by Slitheirne Group it's something along the lines of Alpha Centuri

Erik Rutins -> RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/15/2012 3:47:43 PM)

Wodin,

quote:

I thought this was some sort of sim game rather than strategy you see..my mistake. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it will be popular..however if there is a Space game I'd like to see redone and sold by Slitheirne Group it's something along the lines of Alpha Centuri

Did you actually miss the Pandora announcement? [8D]

Regards,

- Erik

Hertston -> RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! (12/28/2012 12:13:50 PM)

Completely gratuitous strange but true fact. Buzz Aldrin's mother's maiden name was 'Moon'.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.953125E-02