More worrying PC gamer news (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

wodin -> More worrying PC gamer news (12/7/2012 1:09:39 PM)

Seems Intel are thinking of going socketless CPU's thereby finishing off DIY builds...

AMD have promised they wont go that route for the time being...

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/amd_reaffirms_commitment_socketed_cpus_through_least_2014

If Intel do this and add the Win 8 OS the PC just becomes a console in the end...

Though saying all this usually when I upgrade a CPU I'm upgrading the whole system..only Graphics Cards do I upgrade really..and maybe more Mem...

We have to hope AMD are still around though...

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/amd_hires_jp_morgan_explore_options_including_outright_sale345

Josh -> RE: More worrying PC gamer news (12/7/2012 1:56:00 PM)

Yeah no worries, some things may go and some things will stay for a while. As long as we can play our wargames on a large screen and has a mouse/keyboard to it... I wouldn't worry too much.

catwhoorg -> RE: More worrying PC gamer news (12/7/2012 3:33:38 PM)

I normally buy a new MoBo when I plan on getting a new CPU anyway, as I do a rebuild so rarely (probably about every 5 years. Going to do my wife's PC as a Christmas present).

Tech moves so fast, that it is basically the power supply and the box is all that I keep. Everything is potentially on the chopping block.

PipFromSlitherine -> RE: More worrying PC gamer news (12/7/2012 5:13:51 PM)

Yeah - the window where you can meaningfully upgrade a CPU without a new motherboard is fairly short. So I don't see it as being a huge issue, although I would definitely prefer that they didn't do it, purely from a liking to tinker point of view :)

Cheers

Pip

JiminyJickers -> RE: More worrying PC gamer news (12/8/2012 12:58:28 AM)

I don't like the idea personally.  But then again, I have never updated a CPU without updating the motherboard also.

hadberz -> RE: More worrying PC gamer news (12/8/2012 3:17:37 AM)

I can normally squeeze a cpu upgrade onto a motherboard, but then I been using AMD for the past decade. That is really only to upgrade another computer in the house i.e. my computer gets the latest cpu, my sons gets the hand-me-down cpu. :) IMO there will always be DIY. Folks may have to learn to solder though :)

Capt. Harlock -> RE: More worrying PC gamer news (12/8/2012 5:16:36 PM)

quote:

IMO there will always be DIY. Folks may have to learn to solder though :)

As circuitry gets smaller and smaller (and it has to for the fast clock times of modern systems), only the most skilled people are going to be able to solder the connections. I agree that a new CPU without a new motherboard is not very useful these days, but there don't seem to be as many good deals for board-plus-CPU combos these days. I like the idea of building my own, but my next system may be a store-bought box. Yes, there may always be DIY people, but they will be a tiny fraction.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI