Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War

Gargoil -> Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (11/29/2012 3:49:54 PM)

In every game I play, if there is a choice between Sprites and Counters, I always choose Counters. I like the more boardgame/war room/serious appearance. I have played only a few months into the 1914 game so far as the EA. I am finding the counters here to be a bit drab and disappointing (the game is great, don't get me wrong). For the first time I think the sprites may be a better option. I think they actually convey more info than the counters do, and give a better feel for the overall situation.

Either the design of the sprites are some of the best, or the design of the counters is quite bad :).

Edit - after 10 replies to my original post, I just realized I wrote "few months into the 1941 game". Shows you how much I have WWII on the brain. It should have said 1914, and I have changed it, above.

jwduquette1 -> RE: Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (11/29/2012 4:02:49 PM)

I really like the art work associated with the "Commander --The Great War" 3-D unit renderings. But I play with the NATO symbology because for me it seems less cluttered and less confusing.

Having said that, I'd love to have the option to turn on some of the 3-D sprites for a few unit types while leaving most of the other unit types in standard NATO. Like a menu check list thingy showing each unit type and giving me the option to have the unit type shown as a NATO symbol or 3D rendering. That way I can turn on the 3D art for unit types like aircraft and naval units -- maybe tanks and airships as well, but leave the other unit types rendered as standard NATO symbology.

BYU 14 -> RE: Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (11/29/2012 5:36:20 PM)

I am usually a counters guy too, but agree the sprites are very well done here.

catwhoorg -> RE: Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (11/29/2012 6:14:37 PM)

I generally play with sprites over counters. I may switch counters on for my next game as I intend running a full AAR with images for it.
The counters do seem a little easier on the eyes for that purpose.

warspite1 -> RE: Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (11/29/2012 8:30:38 PM)

Nato counters everytime and for reasons already mentioned:

- Easier on the eye
- Easier to figure out what's going on
- Looks more "professional" in a wargame

As also mentioned in other threads, it would be nice if the counters were "chromed" up a bit at some point in the future, but are perfectly functional as they are.

Aurelian -> RE: Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (11/29/2012 9:11:14 PM)

The sprites don't convey any more information than the counters do.

I use the counters.

Gargoil -> RE: Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (11/29/2012 9:20:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

The sprites don't convey any more information than the counters do.

I use the counters.

I thought the sprites did convey the advancement in the model as you upgrade units.
I have not played deep enough into my first game to see if this is true.

Lord Zimoa -> RE: Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (11/29/2012 10:52:03 PM)

quote:

I thought the sprites did convey the advancement in the model as you upgrade units.

Correct, most units change when upgraded, uniform changes, airplanes are being updated, ships get update, tanks etc when updated and you get further in the war... you also see a roman figure that tell you what level your unit is, but you can also see it as the 3d renderings are different and evolve during the game. Counters stay the same, just have the roman figure telling their level.

So when you play with counters only, you miss all the little graphical unit updates. Just for the record: the most outer zoom uses counters always.

If you want to have a closer look at the upgrades look in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Slitherine\Commander The Great War\Data\Graphics\Units

parusski -> RE: Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (11/29/2012 11:36:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BYU 14

I am usually a counters guy too, but agree the sprites are very well done here.

Same here. I prefer the sprites in this game.

Joe 98 -> RE: Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (11/30/2012 12:04:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

Wonderful!

Amaranthus -> RE: Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (11/30/2012 12:36:24 AM)

I'd love to have a Hotkey to be able to switch instantly between counters and sprites. I like both - I find planning easier with counters, but in overview and for eye candy, it's also fun to regularly survey the field of operations with the sprites. +1 to having the Navy sprites always turned on too.

Aurelian -> RE: Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (12/2/2012 4:10:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

quote:

Correct, most units change when upgraded, uniform changes, airplanes are being updated, ships get update, tanks etc when updated and you get further in the war... you also see a roman figure that tell you what level your unit is, but you can also see it as the 3d renderings are different and evolve during the game. Counters stay the same, just have the roman figure telling their level.

So when you play with counters only, you miss all the little graphical unit updates. Just for the record: the most outer zoom uses counters always.

Oh drat. I can't tell the difference.

Orm -> RE: Sprites vs Counters (change of heart) (12/2/2012 10:46:35 AM)

I am also a counters guy and this is the first game, ever, that I decided to play with sprites when I had a choice. Great work with the sprites. [:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.708984E-02