What do you collect? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

michael1776 -> What do you collect? (11/25/2012 9:13:32 PM)

So recently I was told that I was too much of a nerd to be datable. Some friends came over and saw my small collection of model airplanes sitting in a glass cabinet, along with my collection of books, wrist watches as well as board games and announced that it was no small wonder why I am single. Evidently no woman in her right mind would want to date a man that has anything for a hobby other than going to the gym...which I also do regularly.

This got me to thinking. Other than games from this very site; what, if anything, do you guys collect? I guess I am hoping to find that I am not the only one that enjoys playing Phantom Leader and other games of the same ilk. Or why its just about the coolest thing to have a model of the Concorde or a Lockheed Super Constellation sitting on your desk (do people really need to have this explained?). Is it too much to read books without pictures in them anymore? Or is time just passing me by, making me seem more and more eccentric?

Is it just me?

MJ

junk2drive -> RE: What do you collect? (11/25/2012 9:20:42 PM)

You just need to find the right woman (man?). You are not going to find her by staying at home though. Go to nerdy places and do nerdy things.

warspite1 -> RE: What do you collect? (11/25/2012 9:44:34 PM)

I think a lot of blokes collect stuff. Frankly I think it makes life easy for our other halves at Christmas and birthdays. My wife collects nothing - how difficult is that to buy for?? [X(]

british exil -> RE: What do you collect? (11/25/2012 9:54:02 PM)

My GF always complains how my book collection collects dust.

No seriously my GF is tolerant when it comes to my books and games. She just mentions that my man den is sometime a little untidy.

Mat

amps63 -> RE: What do you collect? (11/25/2012 10:52:50 PM)

I used to collect guitars. I ended up selling most of the ones in this picture. I'm now down to 5. I also collect guitar pedals.
[image]http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae36/Andrew_Spindler/gits.jpg[/image]

parusski -> RE: What do you collect? (11/25/2012 11:27:08 PM)

Complaints-from my wife.

But serially folks:

Books
Hundreds of board wargames

ilovestrategy -> RE: What do you collect? (11/26/2012 2:56:50 AM)

Star fleet battles manuals and scenario booklets. I don't think you can get any nerdier than that.

planner 3 -> RE: What do you collect? (11/26/2012 5:00:13 AM)

I collect engravings of US Presidents, Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, etc. When I collect them all I'll start a different collection.

wodin -> RE: What do you collect? (11/26/2012 7:30:33 AM)

@amp..lovely

Well I want to collect king and Country figures, can't afford them though..I do have a rather large book collection, but I don't collect them as such, I buy them to read.

I've got a collection of nearly 100 still boxed men at war figures...they came on an osprey mag each week...should have been a hundred but my newsagent messed it up so I only have 96!!! My ex ripped up a few of the osprey mags aswell.

I have a few Myth and Magic dragons..I did have a massive one with a women riding on the back..again my ex threw it and the wing broke off..so I binned it. (Reading that statement back sounds like something from a Carry on Movie).

If I had more money and more space I'd have bigger collections..my dad collects stuff..he has most likely thousands of first day covers..toy cars..toy planes..and now books.

Aurelian -> RE: What do you collect? (11/26/2012 8:32:01 AM)

Books.

Games.

Guns.

catwhoorg -> RE: What do you collect? (11/26/2012 12:51:59 PM)

SFB and F&E stuff in the gaming category.

I haven't actually played SFB in quite a while, but still eye the books :)

I guess the other thing I collect is race medals and gear. I ran six half marathons this year, plus a slew of shorter distances.

fodder -> RE: What do you collect? (11/26/2012 3:52:17 PM)

Whoa, now that I think about it, I have lots of collections.

DVDs
Books
Games
Army Guys
Various scale tanks, planes, ships and spacecraft.
Slot Cars
WWII weapons
and lots and lots of dust!

Scott Parrino -> RE: What do you collect? (11/26/2012 4:05:47 PM)

Books, lots of books. My collection has been growing since some old family friends had passed away years ago. Now I got so many books my shelves are bowing slightly.

I'm also still a LEGO collector, mainly Star Wars stuff to show off on my shelf above my desk and something for my nephew to break without me getting worried.

Jeffrey H. -> RE: What do you collect? (11/26/2012 7:30:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Books.

Games.

Guns.

Ditto, also tools.

Aurelian -> RE: What do you collect? (11/26/2012 9:31:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

Books.

Games.

Guns.

Ditto, also tools.

Yeah. Just can't pass a good deal on tools.

Jeffrey H. -> RE: What do you collect? (11/27/2012 1:31:29 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Books.

Games.

Guns.

Ditto, also tools.

Ever see those Harbor Freight ads ?

Aurelian -> RE: What do you collect? (11/27/2012 2:06:59 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Books.

Games.

Guns.

Ditto, also tools.

Ever see those Harbor Freight ads ?

Oh yes. Kid in a candy store.

redcoat -> RE: What do you collect? (11/27/2012 2:15:11 AM)

Books on military history.

I also inherited my father's stamp collection. I try to add to it when I can ... especially when I travel abroad.

CarnageINC -> RE: What do you collect? (11/27/2012 5:03:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Star fleet battles manuals and scenario booklets. I don't think you can get any nerdier than that.

I don't know ILS, I collect all that is BattleTech. I have hundreds of mini's I've painted, just love the storylines.

warspite1 -> RE: What do you collect? (11/27/2012 7:15:36 AM)

Been through a few phases:

- Scalextric F1 cars - which I could not afford to keep up and then missed a few of the series and so lost interest...

- Corgi model aircraft - run out of room now, but will find the room if they ever bring out a FAA Avenger or Hellcat, or best of all, a Bristol Beaufighter [&o]

- GR/D Europa series board games. Really hoped I would have the whole war in Europe at Division and below level... ahh well never mind....

- Now down to one collection - and this one continues to grow [:)]. Books! Military History in the main (WWII the bulk of these), Formula 1 and a bit of Football.

Edit: Sorry, I suppose you have to add Music too. I forgot as I know longer buy CD's, but music is bought from itunes instead - feels less like collecting that way as there are no shiny CD cases to meticulously arrange alphabetically [:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.246094E-02