Mapboard Options? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Conflict of Heroes Series

Gerry -> Mapboard Options? (11/24/2012 9:17:20 PM)

Hello:

I thought there was a 2-D board option that shows hills in 2-D as shades of brown? I have the boardgame option (not giant-sized) set in Preferences but when I play FF3 - General Petrov it shows the hills in 3-D.

It is easier for me to read the map in 2-D. You can see what I mean by looking at the scenario card for FF3 - General Petrov on the Academy Games website (Firefight booklet for AtB is available at http://academy-games.com/games/conflict-of-heroes/awakening-the-bear-2nd-edition/rules-and-updates.

Thanks,

Gerry

junk2drive -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/24/2012 9:44:20 PM)

There is an option for brown map heights

[image]local://upfiles/6955/A8C3C857F894432F86B1F786A4B0BCE9.jpg[/image]

Gerry -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/24/2012 11:13:57 PM)

I have that set. But still the hills show in 3-D; the map is not flat.

Thanks,

Gerry

ericbabe -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 1:39:47 AM)

The brown hills don't work with the board game maps.

Gerry -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 2:35:23 AM)

So Eric there is no way to get a completely 2-D map board?

Thanks,

Gerry

ericbabe -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 6:54:38 AM)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by completely 2D. Do you want to have a planar map with no height changes? You could probably mod this by deleting the map height files. If this is what you're looking for, I can look into providing instructions for this.

wodin -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 4:00:35 PM)

gerry isn't the boardgame map option the one you want..doesn't that give a 2D map? Maybe by choosing brown heights and boardgame map your not getting the boardgame map?

junk2drive -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 4:10:53 PM)

No wodin, the 3D effect for hills is still there regardless of map style chosen.

Gerry -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 4:48:04 PM)

Hello Eric:

If you look at the scenario card for FireFight3 - General Petrov (the pdf of AtB Firefights is available for downloads at Academy Games) you will see a 2-D map. The Hills are show as variations of a brown color. Just like a physical boardgame like COH and ASL does it. (Sorry, I don't know what a planar map is.)

As Paul noted, choosing the boardgame option and brown heights still has the hills displayed in 3-D.

Thanks,

Gerry

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by completely 2D. Do you want to have a planar map with no height changes? You could probably mod this by deleting the map height files. If this is what you're looking for, I can look into providing instructions for this.

wodin -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 5:10:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

No wodin, the 3D effect for hills is still there regardless of map style chosen.

Oh right..odd..I thought they were including the actual boardgame (i.e looked exactly like the boardgame) maps with the latest patch..

Really wish they had made two map versions from the start..3D and exactly like the boardgame high res 2D.

ericbabe -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 5:12:01 PM)

Oh, I see what you're saying. The green shading on the board-game-style maps are the graphics from the new ATB board-game maps. The brown shading for the hills can only work when my shader is drawing the graphics, not when the game is using the board-game art. I think you're asking for the original game maps (which had brown hills) and not the maps from the ATB second version (which uses greenish hills). Does that sound right?

If enough people show an interest in creating their own giant maps, I'll try to put together a converter to convert big JPG files to the BYT files used in the game. If we do this, then perhaps someone could mod the original style board-game maps.

junk2drive -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 5:32:19 PM)

Gerry I can't guarantee that this will work for every map but: navigate to the Data\Maps folder, move the nameofmap_height.bmp to another folder on your computer. Don't delete it in case you need it for MP. I tried it with KV2 and it worked. Didn't have brown though.

junk2drive -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 5:38:07 PM)

After some thought, I think the brown doesn't show because the height is no longer there. Since the los file is still there, a hill may still block los, but the increase in AP for climbing hills may not.

Gerry -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 6:10:39 PM)

Eric, I did not know that the 2nd edition of the AtB boardgame has a different depiction of heights than the 1st edition. Do you have an example of what this 2nd edition version looks like? (An example of the 1st edition is in this AAR I think: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/785690/conflict-of-heroes-aar-firefight-6-breakthrough)

Thanks,

Gerry

quote:

Oh, I see what you're saying. The green shading on the board-game-style maps are the graphics from the new ATB board-game maps. The brown shading for the hills can only work when my shader is drawing the graphics, not when the game is using the board-game art. I think you're asking for the original game maps (which had brown hills) and not the maps from the ATB second version (which uses greenish hills). Does that sound right?

If enough people show an interest in creating their own giant maps, I'll try to put together a converter to convert big JPG files to the BYT files used in the game. If we do this, then perhaps someone could mod the original style board-game maps.

ericbabe -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 7:08:35 PM)

quote:

After some thought, I think the brown doesn't show because the height is no longer there. Since the los file is still there, a hill may still block los, but the increase in AP for climbing hills may not.

The LOS should work still, but other hill rules probably won't. I'd have to look at the code more carefully to ascertain whether it would be easy to make a modification for maps that stick to one plane.

Jamm -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 7:09:33 PM)

quote:

I would be interested in that converter.

ericbabe -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 7:10:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gerry
Eric, I did not know that the 2nd edition of the AtB boardgame has a different depiction of heights than the 1st edition. Do you have an example of what this 2nd edition version looks like? (An example of the 1st edition is in this AAR I think: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/785690/conflict-of-heroes-aar-firefight-6-breakthrough)

Here's the game overview. I don't really know of any other links offhand:
academy-games.com/games/conflict-of-heroes/awakening-the-bear-2nd-edition

Gerry -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/25/2012 11:27:14 PM)

Eric:
I couldn't tell from those pics if there were any hills in the samples. But I found the following link that talks about, and shows, how the hills are handled in the second edition boards:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=271099949610459&set=a.271099089610545.70218.183622025024919&type=3&theater

I am not sure what I think of it. Less obtrusive than the brown hills on the plus side, takes a bit more to see the different elevations.

Eric, is this shades-of-green approach to "2-D" hills easier to do in the computer game than the brown hills? (Again what I am looking for is a boardgame option where hills do not show up in 3-D).

(On a related note I learnt something more about the game when looking at the different map styles. Hill hexes have the level listed after the hex number, e.g. K10-II. In the 2nd edition of the boardgame it said they will use some triangle for the levels instead of the -I or -II.)

Thanks,

Gerry

Gerry -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/26/2012 2:21:32 AM)

Thanks for trying these things.

Gerry

quote:

Gerry I can't guarantee that this will work for every map but: navigate to the Data\Maps folder, move the nameofmap_height.bmp to another folder on your computer. Don't delete it in case you need it for MP. I tried it with KV2 and it worked. Didn't have brown though.

ericbabe -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/26/2012 4:24:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gerry
Eric, is this shades-of-green approach to "2-D" hills easier to do in the computer game than the brown hills? (Again what I am looking for is a boardgame option where hills do not show up in 3-D).

It depends what you mean by "easier." It's not any harder to code, but it takes days of work to edit those giant map files, and I'd have to pay an artist $1000 to make brown hills on the flat maps. So in that sense it's harder.

Gerry -> RE: Mapboard Options? (11/26/2012 11:43:18 PM)

Hello Eric:

I think Jamm was the only other person interested in this? So I don't want to ask you to invest that money yet.

Maybe as you are creating SoS you can create a poll about options people want included? That will give you a better idea of what is needed/wanted. You could ask people first for possible options to help you create a poll. Or maybe one of us could do it if you would like that kind of feedback

Gerry

quote:

It depends what you mean by "easier." It's not any harder to code, but it takes days of work to edit those giant map files, and I'd have to pay an artist $1000 to make brown hills on the flat maps. So in that sense it's harder.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.953125E-02