Factory damage (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support

morvael -> Factory damage (11/23/2012 3:11:52 PM)

I have a factory with size 1 and damage 60. When I will move it, it will be reduced to 50 damage.

morvael -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 3:24:56 PM)

I can confirm that the method works really well, especially for the factories like those big ARM or HI that you have to move in parts: move the smaller part, it will be damaged 70-80%, but move it the second time and this will be reduced to 50%.

Of course this is a bug that needs to be fixed quickly. And I didn't use it in my game. I found it when I wanted to move those unused U-2VS factories for the second time so they didn't start producing again, moving a 60% damaged Li-2VP factory with them and seeing being it reduced to 50% damage (and the U-2VS staying at 50% despite moving).

Helpless -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 3:41:36 PM)

That's the it is designed. Factory "damage" doesn't go to the new site, i.e. you are not reallocating damaged facilities and moving to the some existing plants.

morvael -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 3:46:17 PM)

But it means I can shorten the repair time considerably... If I have a 25 ARM factory (150 000 evac cost) I have to move part of it first, for example 10 (60 000 evac cost). It will be damaged to 80% or 90% (don't remeber the exact formula now). If I will then spend another 60 000 rail capacity to move those 10 ARM factories once more, it will be set to 50% damage and will repair faster (10-13 turns faster!).

I'd expect the formula to take current damage into account (so moving 100% of a 50% damaged factory would give me a factory damaged in 75%, currently I can move 100% of a 75% damaged factory and get a 50% damaged one).

Helpless -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 3:56:20 PM)

Problem is not that it doesn't take a damage, but that it allows to move the same factories several times. This needs much more sophisticated system with all site tracking.

This is known and was balanced out by the increased evac costs.

morvael -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 4:05:39 PM)

Wouldn't then a simple formula change (to stack damage instead of replacing it) prevent moving those factories without all that tracking code?

Helpless -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 4:18:03 PM)

Current system was developed to have industry bombing in mind. It could be extremely effective if we keep damage on evacuation, which would be also quite ahistorical. Current system is not perfect, but at least it gives more or less historical production figures.

I'll see if there is a way to make simple code change to forbid re-evacuations. In any case I wouldn't overestimate it's importance. You can't re-evacuation big amounts like that.

morvael -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 4:37:31 PM)

I'd prevent evac of factories with more than 50% damage, unless the enemy is close (5-10 hexes). Other way is to leave current damage level if it's higher than the calculated one.

Helpless -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 5:43:33 PM)

I think I found an easy way to set restriction for the once evacuated factories.

morvael -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 6:24:22 PM)

Comparing current X,Y with the one in generic data?

Helpless -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 6:29:26 PM)

It can be done on the city/factory slot level. Fortunately there is unused data fields in the structure.

morvael -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 6:39:57 PM)

It's always good to include serial version numer as first field of every structure. Makes loading older saves and adding new fields very simple :-) good that you found the space though.

The question now is, what happens with the increased evac cost that was introduced due to this problem? Lower evacs cost means more factories moved simultaineously, which results in less overall losses. But maybe the current values are better? That way it's impossible to evac everything. How it was in history?

Helpless -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 6:41:07 PM)

Higher cost was not introduced due to that. It was just another side effect.

morvael -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 6:43:30 PM)

Ah, then I misunderstood post #5.

morvael -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 6:53:59 PM)

It would be even better if the factories would evacuate off-map. Logically, it should be possible and even it would be more user friendly. Enter city, select factories, click move and done, no selecting easternmost city with free slots.

Helpless -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 7:01:41 PM)

Yes, there are many things could be done to evacuation routines to work better. Unfortunately it is complex enough to make any major improvements in WITE-1.

morvael -> RE: Factory damage (11/23/2012 7:07:09 PM)

Still hoping for the day, when 2by3 would follow the route of Paradox and open their older games (like WitE) to people who will sign an agreement protecting the authors, yet still allowing the old game to be worked upon and improved.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.929688E-02