Why not one multiplayer game room? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

z1812 -> Why not one multiplayer game room? (11/22/2012 5:16:05 PM)

I have a few Matrix/Sliterine games. I see that each has their own multiplayer room. Why not one room where all players can go to meet an opponent that you access through each game. That way there will be more players to meet and arrange games with.

PipFromSlitherine -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (11/22/2012 8:35:50 PM)

Are you talking about ingame lobby screens, or about the game forums?

Cheers

Pip

z1812 -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (11/27/2012 3:18:18 AM)

Hi Pip,

I mean an actual multiplayer room where you can arrange an online game that is not restricted to one game.

PipFromSlitherine -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (11/27/2012 3:57:58 PM)

The issue is I don't understand the use of the word "room" in this context. There is always a single lobby in a given game for people to create and play games through. There are often two forums, on here and one on the Slitherine site, and so that is what I am guessing you mean.

Cheers

Pip

MikeGER -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (11/27/2012 4:34:58 PM)

i got it [;)]
...one lobby were all users are visible with the games from Matrix / Slitherine they have installed (at the time of log-in ) ...so you first see who is online, and what he has available, and then chat about what game to start, then moving on to a 'sub-lobby', let's say: a CoH room (lobby) or a CC:PitF room(lobby), etc.

the idea behind this is: the individual games lobbies are often empty and so you can 'negotiate' about what game to start, because one gamer might be willing to agree to play a different game instead of non, or instead of waiting half an hour for anotherone to show up, who might want to play his first choice

Iain McNeil -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (11/27/2012 5:20:42 PM)

Its a nice idea but each of the lobbies works in slightly different ways. We could look at this going forwards but it is not something we can retrofit. You'd probably need to have a Tab to move between game chat and all chat.

z1812 -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (11/27/2012 5:49:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeGER

i got it [;)]
...one lobby were all users are visible with the games from Matrix / Slitherine they have installed (at the time of log-in ) ...so you first see who is online, and what he has available, and then chat about what game to start, then moving on to a 'sub-lobby', let's say: a CoH room (lobby) or a CC:PitF room(lobby), etc.

the idea behind this is: the individual games lobbies are often empty and so you can 'negotiate' about what game to start, because one gamer might be willing to agree to play a different game instead of non, or instead of waiting half an hour for anotherone to show up, who might want to play his first choice

Thank you Mike. Yes the above is exactly what I mean.

z1812 -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (11/29/2012 5:41:24 PM)

I remember the days of the Microsoft Game Zone. I played a lot of CC2 and CC3 there. As it could work so many years ago I wonder why there would be problems to do this now?

Iain McNeil -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (11/30/2012 2:01:41 PM)

Its not a big problem but it is not something you can wave a magic wand and make happen. Each game needs to be coded specifically to allow it and retro fitting it is so much work it simply isn't going to happen. Until last year we didn't own Close Combat so were limited in what we could do anyway. It's a good idea and we can look at the technicalities going forwards.

Iain McNeil -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (11/30/2012 5:41:51 PM)

Apparently this is not as simple as I had suggested. The technical team almost swore at me. The issues are that every game has a different developer with a different code base in different languages and they'd have to talk to each other. They said it was a recipe for disaster so is unlikely to happen. Sorry - I thought it sounded cool too!

z1812 -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (11/30/2012 11:44:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Its not a big problem but it is not something you can wave a magic wand and make happen. Each game needs to be coded specifically to allow it and retro fitting it is so much work it simply isn't going to happen. Until last year we didn't own Close Combat so were limited in what we could do anyway. It's a good idea and we can look at the technicalities going forwards.

Hi Iain,

Thanks for your reply. It would be nice if it could be worked out.

Regards,

John

Mad Russian -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (5/27/2013 9:22:24 PM)

quote:

Apparently this is not as simple as I had suggested. The technical team almost swore at me. The issues are that every game has a different developer with a different code base in different languages and they'd have to talk to each other. They said it was a recipe for disaster so is unlikely to happen. Sorry - I thought it sounded cool too!

They are over thinking this.

The open meeting area would be a simple connection place. The games MP functions would take over after the connection between gamers was made. There would be no need for different games to be coded to the same specifications. Just the contact code for getting into the room.

Good Hunting.

MR

PipFromSlitherine -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (5/27/2013 9:46:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

quote:

They are over thinking this.

The open meeting area would be a simple connection place. The games MP functions would take over after the connection between gamers was made. There would be no need for different games to be coded to the same specifications. Just the contact code for getting into the room.

Good Hunting.

MR

Having some kind of general chat app which can launch games as needed sounds fine, but I am pretty certain that almost every game would have its own special problems [:)]. If nothing else you would need every game to be launchable with all the info needed to try and connect directly to another player, which for older games would be significant change in itself.

We have ongoing discussion and desire to improve the broader "out of band" communication between players - e.g. if you finish a great PBEM++ game in PzC or Battle Academy and want to tell your opponent "Good game!", there isn't a nice clean way to do so - you can try and PM them via the forums etc, but 90% of people will never login to the forums to see their msgs.

On the other hand we don't want to give someone a purpose-built channel to harass others because "using Tigers is cheating!" [;)]

Cheers

Pip

Greyshaft -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (5/28/2013 8:44:50 AM)

Actually you don't need a common room. It could be done with another app/website such as PlanetLotus.org or other blog aggregators... they periodically scan member blogs and post a precis of the most recent posts.
* All a game developer has to do is to expose an API to allow the current status of their game room to be scanned and uploaded.
* The third party app (built/hosted by Matrix/Slitherine) bounces between the individual game rooms collecting the current status and posting it to the central clearing house.
* The individual player visits the central clearing house web page and can see who is waiting in each game room - the info might be a few minutes out of date depending on the frequency of the scan.

rogo727 -> RE: Why not one multiplayer game room? (5/28/2013 4:29:24 PM)

Game Center for apple has every single multi player game in its lobby. It's all located in the same place and you can see who is playing what. Regardless of developer or game company.
quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeGER

i got it [;)]

Thank you Mike. Yes the above is exactly what I mean.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI