New unit idea. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War

stormbringer3 -> New unit idea. (11/17/2012 3:54:27 PM)

I have a thought about a possible new unit to add to the existing options. Currently we have regular infantry or garrison units. There are a lot of garrison units on the front lines and that doesn't seem to be an accurate historical use of a garrison. Perhaps between the two there could be a unit portraying the reserve units called up to fight in the war alongside the standing army units. Their combat stats would be getween the garrison and regular infantry units.
I really like this game! My thought isn't a criticism but a possible way to add to historical realism.

Myrddraal -> RE: New unit idea. (11/17/2012 4:39:24 PM)

quote:

Perhaps between the two there could be a unit portraying the reserve units called up to fight in the war alongside the standing army units.

That's actually more like what the garrison unit is supposed to represent [:)]. It's supposed to be a unit which is reasonably good at holding the line, but not your first choice for an offensive.

LuckyJim1010 -> RE: New unit idea. (11/17/2012 6:39:03 PM)

Garrison unit does seem to be the wrong description :-)

Just started to really learn the game and the majority of units holding the front line are Garrison units.

Erik Rutins -> RE: New unit idea. (11/17/2012 7:06:33 PM)

I think of them as Armies and Corps, rather than Infantry and Garrisons. I agree the term Garrison is a bit misleading, but I think their function and relative strength fits a familiar role.

Regards,

- Erik

LuckyJim1010 -> RE: New unit idea. (11/18/2012 6:52:01 AM)

Yep Corp and Army it is for me now on. I just use the rename function.

wodin -> RE: New unit idea. (11/18/2012 11:33:18 AM)

Maybe it should be called reserve army unit or something.

Lukas -> RE: New unit idea. (11/18/2012 1:11:40 PM)

Thought about calling Garrison "Reserves" but that may still not reflect entirely that you ARE supposed to use them in the frontlines (with careful consideration). I doubt their use can be made instantly clear by naming alone. It's always gonna be a matter of trial and error to learn which units are best used in what situations. On paper Infantry is more cost effective than garrisons, but no nation has enough resources to solely rely on them.

stormbringer3 -> RE: New unit idea. (11/19/2012 2:28:51 PM)

I know it's only a name, but I vote to change Garrison to Reserves. I just seems better to me when I look at the frontlines.

Tophat1812 -> RE: New unit idea. (11/19/2012 4:59:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

I know it's only a name, but I vote to change Garrison to Reserves. I just seems better to me when I look at the frontlines.

My opinion as well. regular infantry and reserve infantry corps,basically as they are referred to in military histories. The whole "garrison" term seems to reflect special fortress troops in a WWI context.

Also on counter/unit size some may be armies but to me at least calling the units corps simply feels much better.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.734375E-02