RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> After Action Reports

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/16/2012 10:28:11 PM)

Turn 19: Balkan Front, 4 Mar. 1915

Western Front: Quite

Eastern Front: Quite

Balkan Front: AH continues to drive hard south, the western flank is crumbling for the Serbs. They only get 10 PP's a turn so they will have a hard time with replacements. I hope my units become unfatigued soon so I can capture the capital. The Italians are 8 turns away from entering the war! [X(]

Middle East Front: Turks launch poor assaults on Brits, leaving them vulnerable to counter attacks.

Research for several items are coming to an end soon, the Turks desperately need that Barbwire and Industrial Warfare to compete with the Brits. I'm trying to save PP for Germany and AH to get more artillery to take advantage of the Gas Warfare about to be finished. That convoy really helped Germany, I fear that the Brits will make more subs to strip this away from Germany.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/2A96687DAB3C4D61AFDABC7E1250E4AD.jpg[/image]

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/16/2012 10:54:11 PM)

Turn 20: European Front, 18th Mar. 1915

Western Front starts on fire, French destroy German Garrison force but mysteriously leave open a hex by Verdun! [:D] I then launched a counter attack west of Verdun and manage to some serious damage on the unit there.

Eastern Front: Dam dirty rotten Russians manage to push back a German infantry unit and advance. So I counter attacked that unit as best I could but did little to discourage future attacks in the area [:(] For some stupid reason I use up PP on the Baltic fleet to repair previous damage, wasting my opportunity to by artillery next turn [8|]

Balkan Front: Serbs are falling back and taking damage. I still await the units to become less fatigued and hope it happens soon.

Middle East Front: Turks receive latest Mk II infantry unit and I update 1 infantry unit to Mk. II status. I should be able to upgrade the remaining force to Mk. II next turn.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/40FB6927B5534C29AAABD905A4C7C2A8.jpg[/image]

warspite1 -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/16/2012 10:55:28 PM)

Mr C how do you know what is MkI and MkII etc?

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/16/2012 11:01:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Here you go sir [;)] Hopes this helps explain it.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/0CE13452A550497BAAA04C4D642A9778.jpg[/image]

warspite1 -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/16/2012 11:08:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Here you go sir [;)] Hopes this helps explain it.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/0CE13452A550497BAAA04C4D642A9778.jpg[/image]
warspite1

Ahhh I wondered wtf that was all about [:)]

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 1:11:19 AM)

Turn 21: Mediterranean Front, 1st Apr. 1915

Western Front: Attack made just west of Verdun, left British unit with 3 pts. left. Only took 1 casualty!

Eastern Front: Attacked Russian salient, left unit with 2 pts. and can only be switch for a Garrison force so I believe I should be able to retake the hex.

Balkan Front: Destroyed weakened Serb inf. unit and attacked the capital. Its left with only 5 pt inf. unit so I believe I should take it next turn. Italians might be coming into war within 4 turns.

Middle East Front: Only refitted entire Turkish force to Mk. II specs. going on offensive next turn.

I'm going to purchase artillery next turn for both AH and Germany if I can.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/BB5094B6311F4241841481B59F37EE5A.jpg[/image]

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 1:33:54 AM)

Turn 22: Eastern Front, 15th Apr. 1915

Eastern Front: Russians make daring attack by sacrificing a unit in order to surround Warsaw. I give the AI credit with making the decision it did. I also find that the Russians have finally bought a artillery unit. I have a convoy heading my way so I sortied the Baltic Fleet to cover it.

Balkan Front: Serbian capital, Skopje, falls. I make a strike at Tirana and loose big time with both units, not even scratching the infantry unit guarding the city. I'm sure I will loose a 1 pt inf. unit next round. Cetinje is a strength 4 garrison force so that should fall when I turn my attention to it.

Middle East Front: Turks hold on after Brits offensive. Turks go on the counter offensive and destroy 1 Brit infantry unit [X(]!

Germany finishes Advanced Shells and goes on to research Counter Battery Fire since I will have 2 artillery units. I purchased a artillery unit for AH to help against the Italians. I should have gas [:'(] by the time it comes on line.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/FB07869BCD12428AB10B3FADDF6AFA81.jpg[/image]

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 2:21:43 AM)

Turn 23: Eastern Front, 29th Apr. 1915

Eastern Front: All hell is breaking loose...by that I mean the Russian devils are going to pore thru my lines shortly. I had to for go the artillery for Germany and bought more infantry units for all nations. Situation is dire as I don't know how aggressive the AI will be. I had to bring in 1 garrison, 1 cav, and 1 arty unit from the West Front. 3 turns from now might not be in time to stem the flood to follow I'm afraid.

Balkan Front: AH prepositions units and also sends replacements to the front for final assault on Serb strong holds. I sent 1 garrison force to Trieste in preparation for Italian assault to come in 2-4 turns.

For research Germany completes Air Car for its dirigibles...I so long to have one!

[image]local://upfiles/15628/18DCCDCF5BEA468BB25EA3E6262FD4BC.jpg[/image]

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 2:24:21 AM)

Turn 23: Middle East Front, 29th Apr. 1915

British launch a successful attack against a garrison force holding the flanks. I had to purchase a infantry unit instead of repairing my forces. I moved my Cav unit via rail to the south to prevent the city there falling to enemy hands.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/F946195640304742AF787924703D87DD.jpg[/image]

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 2:47:00 AM)

Turn 24: Eastern Front, 13 May 1915

Western Front: Allies make minor movements

Eastern Front: Russians hit me hard and blow open a huge hole in the front. I'm rushing what I can there and as you can see I should have some troops arriving in a months time.

Balkan Front: Tirana falls, leaving only a 4 pt garrison unit at Cetinje. I'm only going to leave 2 garrison units and 1 infantry unit to cover the area. That leaves me with 4 infantry units to move to the Italian Front.

Middle East Front: British tip there hand, they have bombers, they made a probing attack. The Turks chill for a turn repairing units.

I decided after my life bloods of a convoy arrived and left me with 45 PP's I would get a airship! I need to take the fight to the Allies PP's!

On a bad note for AH, they took a 10% production hit do to MP's being used up.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/DAFDC503D86B412DBDE5B7D76B938115.jpg[/image]

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 3:28:32 AM)

Turn 25: Eastern Front, 27 May 1915

Western Front: Allies finally launch massive assault against my lines. They strike at 3 different points, leaving no damage at 2 of them but after replacements I have a fatigued strength 7 inf. unit that surely will be destroyed next turn.

Eastern Front: Managed to destroy a weakened Russian unit with AH infantry attacks. 2 more turns till reinforcements arrive! [sm=00000018.gif]

Balkan Front: All Serbian opposition has been cleared out. I'm frantically trying to get more AH forces up to cover Italy which enters the war in 1 turn.

Middle East Front: More attacks by Brits nothing taken. I replenished what I could.

Major development for Germany and its research. Gas is now available to use. I wish it was an option because I would like to use it when I want to. As for now its going to be used against the Russians first, hopefully it will be very effective. I'm going to wait till all my reinforcements are in place...along with AH Arty unit and give them hell! [sm=00000106.gif] Pillboxes are ready for the front too, I went ahead at started researching Cement Entrenchments to protect what I got.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/1D0DFE144AB24FB48E491352564B2539.jpg[/image]

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 4:10:07 AM)

Turn 26: European Front, 10 Jun. 1915

Western Front: Allies manage to destroy wounded infantry unit and drive behind my lines. I don't know how the Garrison unit had the MPs to drive so deep, smells fishy to me. [:o] I do what I can to stop it but its futile. Next turn I'm sure will see another hole blown open in my lines. I'll fall back to Calais to protect the town.

Eastern Front: Russians pour more troops into the salient. I have newly arrived units from both nations to help bolster the front. I have a suspicion that I will loose the northern sector soon given the amount of troops that the Russians have.

Italian Front: Bombarded Italian troops to help soften the blow to come. I have not a clue how I'm going to cover this front given what troops I have on hand.

Middle East Front: Brits drive south toward Tabuk and the Turks counter attack doing some damage at last.

I've had some PP's for both AH and Germany to purchase 1 infantry unit apiece.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/6156BF404BBD4F1C9CAC42508F0FB31F.jpg[/image]

Empire101 -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 5:28:32 AM)

Yep, lack of PP's are a real problem, and the units are very expensive to produce.

I think upgrading is too expensive, 2PP's per unit is a real stinger.

Great AAR, watching with interest!!

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 5:59:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Empire101

Yep, lack of PP's are a real problem, and the units are very expensive to produce.

I think upgrading is too expensive, 2PP's per unit is a real stinger.

Great AAR, watching with interest!!

Thanks for tuning in. Some of the units are a bit over priced IMO. But it really makes you decide if placing a unit in harms way is a good thing or not.

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 6:09:44 AM)

Turn 27: European Theater, 24 Jun. 1915

Western Front: I had to pull back on the west flank or be force to have a surrounded unit. I may have to bring over a eastern front infantry unit to help secure my lines!?! [&:]. The allies have 2-3 fighters in theater now.

Eastern Front: For some reason the Russians pulled back to their defensive works. Maybe the AI thought it was losing positioning with my newly arrived units??? I think I'll regain Krakow soon. My German Arty is up to Mk IV specs! [;)] I just need another one.

Italian Front: I made a poor decision on waiting to long to bring up units from Serbia. I'm going to pay for it badly I think. I might need to try and rail in a German unit to Trento to cover it. Where from...don't know yet. [:'(] I bombarded the coast again to wear them down some.

Middle East Front: With my new troop arrival there I managed to go on a limited offensive and destroyed a British garrison unit on his southern flank.

With the newly arrived convoy I'm hoping I'll have enough PP to buy 2 infantry units, if not I may be forced to buy a garrison unit [:@]. For some reason I just don't like to throw away PP's on them, but I just may have to since they defend almost on par with infantry units.

AH finally finished its research in Gas warfare, that should help against the Italians some.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/63136CB015E242C9BAE15E14197332D7.jpg[/image]

Aurelian -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 6:33:58 AM)

In completely unrelated news.....

The Armee du Nord continues to pour over the river.

The Army of the Cumberland continues to hold.

[:D]

Nice AAR.

edit: Bought it.

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 6:39:31 AM)

Turn 28: European Theater, 8 Jul. 1915

Western Front: Western flank collapses, have to pull back units to save Brussels. These are dark days for Central Powers, faced with one crisis after another. I managed to destroy a garrison unit I believe but that's all.

Eastern Front: Used poison gas for first time on Krakow. It's now isolated and should fall next turn. I'm going to lose my high fatigued Cav unit next turn.

Italian Front: Trieste falls to Italians, arriving AH units are just to fatigued to be any use. I managed to knock away the Italian inf. there to 3 pts. I have a fresh arrival that I'm going to put in Trento [8D]. I didn't know the Italians had airships but they do, Vienna is bombed! My German one is coming online next turn.

Middle East Front: Both sides batter each other no one in a bad position yet.

For research I switched all 3 nations to get Gas Masks Mk I ASAP. I'm sure the allies have their own gas coming online soon!

I purchased 3 German inf. units! Thank goodness to that timely convoy.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/E1B9E1423DB34E37A6DC8F79D6B95040.jpg[/image]

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 7:07:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

In completely unrelated news.....

The Armee du Nord continues to pour over the river.

The Army of the Cumberland continues to hold.

[:D]

Nice AAR.

edit: Bought it.

NO WAY DUDE! We're going to have to play a game Art! [:D]

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 7:13:17 AM)

Turn 29: Western Front, 22 Jul. 1915

I must admit I probably made a fundamental error in not buy more garrison units to bolster my Western Front and Eastern Fronts [:-]. It will probably cost me the game in 1917...if I can bear it out. I'll admit this last turn pissed me off to no ends...NO ENDS! [X(]

As it stands now, I have a month to go till reinforcements arrive and I'll for sure lose the two units in the north to a good AI. God I can't imagine playing a person with this game right now! BLAH...I'm still pissy [;)]

I got my airship finally so that's a good bit of news.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/393D8127788A49CD821BA84AEC8C79D4.jpg[/image]

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 7:19:19 AM)

Turn 29: Eastern Front, 22 Jul. 1915

Okay....here is where I lost it. Those dam dirty rotten no good Russians dogs killed my Mk. IV Arty unit[sm=00000003.gif] Plus they drove back out and caused chaos, enough to give me a head ache! Again lack of some reserves in form of garrison units killed me here.

This next turn I'll lose my Cav in Krakow and my AH 4pt inf unit. I'll have the center guy surrounded and have little hope for relief IMO. Of course this is a guess, but if I was a player I would do it that way. I was way to callus in underestimating the AI on this game. [:-]

[image]local://upfiles/15628/F09759B676BB407DBCD9C5E5DF785313.jpg[/image]

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 7:24:06 AM)

Turn 29: Italian Front, 22 Jun. 1915

Here is a piss poor planing result. I was so focused on overkilling the Serbs I shot myself in the foot! I have no clue on whats going to happen here. Garrison forces are to be bought if I can afford even that! I just can't see how playing a person in this game is possible giving the PP costs for the Central Powers. BLAH...I'm still pissy [:D] For some reason I couldn't place my new infantry unit in Trento???

[image]local://upfiles/15628/7EFA3D543F794602B135AAB336C8E0D4.jpg[/image]

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 7:26:44 AM)

Turn 29: Middle East Front, 22 Jul. 1915

Here has been somewhat calm. The Brits attack, I attack back.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/37731A3B0AAE44AF8CD0E7626FBAAD97.jpg[/image]

warspite1 -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 7:32:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

This next turn I'll lose my Cav in Krakow and my AH 4pt inf unit. I'll have the center guy surrounded and have little hope for relief IMO. Of course this is a guess, but if I was a player I would do it that way. I was way to callus in underestimating the AI on this game. [:-]

warspite1

Yep - it certainly has a habit of springing nasty surprises [:@]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 7:48:55 AM)

I think buying only Armies (Infantry) and not Corps (Garrisons) does make things harder. It's very helpful to keep a reserve of Garrisons behind your lines to swap in for damaged units and to stop breakthroughs. Also to build a reserve trench line. Having extra units gives you the luxury to plan ahead and lets you build up those trenchlines in areas like the Italian front before the fighting starts, which is very helpful.

Regards,

- Erik

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 7:53:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I think buying only Armies (Infantry) and not Corps (Garrisons) does make things harder. It's very helpful to keep a reserve of Garrisons behind your lines to swap in for damaged units and to stop breakthroughs. Also to build a reserve trench line. Having extra units gives you the luxury to plan ahead and lets you build up those trenchlines in areas like the Italian front before the fighting starts, which is very helpful.

Regards,

- Erik

Wise words and hard lessons learned here! [:D] Yeah...I won't make this mistake again, hopefully any future CP players will take heed of the lessons learn here. How to afford it is my question?

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 8:45:37 AM)

Turn 30: European Front, 5 Aug. 1915

I've calmed down from my disastrous last turn...only to be faced with hard reality of this turn.

Western Front: I loose another infantry formation and Brussels falls. I pulled back some more. I did manage to bomb Paris [8D].

Eastern Front: I loose another infantry formation...oh I said that already...but its still true here. Did manage to blast a Russian Inf off this earth. For some reason the AI pulled back again. I was sure I was going to loose 2 units instead of 1.

Italian Front: I noticed that enemy units are moving over the Alps, and should take Trento next turn. Italians advance to my lines and nearly destroy a AH Inf., only to lose one of theirs in return! HA! AH Surface fleet bombs airship on the coast.

Middle East Front: Same old situation of pounding each other there.

[image]local://upfiles/15628/DF5DB864E1CE47E092079F82F15A24E9.jpg[/image]

Lukas -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 12:24:42 PM)

quote:

For some reason I couldn't place my new infantry unit in Trento???

You cannot deploy new units in "minor cities", that is cities and fortresses with 0 PP production (hold space bar to display PP production).

quote:

I think buying only Armies (Infantry) and not Corps (Garrisons) does make things harder

Reading through the last pages of the AAR I was gonna comment on that too. Congrats on the swift defeat of Serbia! I'm happy to see that didn't instantly win the game for you though, meaning there is a downside to overfocusing on them ;)

But it's vital to balance between infantry & garrison forces. Look at Infantry as your first grade, large size combat units, and garrisons as secondary quality reserve forces. You do not have enough resources to have Infantry everywere. Use garrisons in places that are already well entrenched, not instantly treatened by a strong enemy force or of lower importance.

For example you have 5 Infantry + 1 Garr holding the line from Koenigsburg to Warsaw. The Russians oppose it with 3 Infantry & 3 Garrisons. That means you are paying 5 * 4 + 1 * 2 = 22 PP, while the Russian defense costs 3 * 4 + 3 * 2 = 18 PP.
The position is well entrenched by now so try replacing some infantry with garrisons there (not the exposed one near warsaw!) to free them up for more important duties. It will make the line more vulnerable when the Russians do decide to pressure it, so always try to be prepared to shift your reserves!

And Bulgaria will join the war next, with Serbia already out of the war those troops will be very useful elsewere :)
After that you'll have to deal with Romania, which often weakens the russian more than it helps them (as it did in reality) because it vastly extends the eastern front, and Romania has not enough strength to cover the whole gap.
So hang in there! :)

Myrddraal -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 12:39:26 PM)

This is developing into a really exciting game. [:D]

Yes, it can feel like a waste to buy anything but the best, but garrison units come in very handy when you're on the back foot.

For example, you have a near solid line of infantry units in the north of the eastern front. At least half of those units could be garrisons, and you would be holding the line. That would save precious PPs that you could use to build infantry units to counter attack against their breakthrough.

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 2:07:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lukas

quote:

For some reason I couldn't place my new infantry unit in Trento???

You cannot deploy new units in "minor cities", that is cities and fortresses with 0 PP production (hold space bar to display PP production).

quote:

I think buying only Armies (Infantry) and not Corps (Garrisons) does make things harder

Reading through the last pages of the AAR I was gonna comment on that too. Congrats on the swift defeat of Serbia! I'm happy to see that didn't instantly win the game for you though, meaning there is a downside to overfocusing on them ;)

But it's vital to balance between infantry & garrison forces. Look at Infantry as your first grade, large size combat units, and garrisons as secondary quality reserve forces. You do not have enough resources to have Infantry everywere. Use garrisons in places that are already well entrenched, not instantly treatened by a strong enemy force or of lower importance.

For example you have 5 Infantry + 1 Garr holding the line from Koenigsburg to Warsaw. The Russians oppose it with 3 Infantry & 3 Garrisons. That means you are paying 5 * 4 + 1 * 2 = 22 PP, while the Russian defense costs 3 * 4 + 3 * 2 = 18 PP.
The position is well entrenched by now so try replacing some infantry with garrisons there (not the exposed one near warsaw!) to free them up for more important duties. It will make the line more vulnerable when the Russians do decide to pressure it, so always try to be prepared to shift your reserves!

And Bulgaria will join the war next, with Serbia already out of the war those troops will be very useful elsewere :)
After that you'll have to deal with Romania, which often weakens the russian more than it helps them (as it did in reality) because it vastly extends the eastern front, and Romania has not enough strength to cover the whole gap.
So hang in there! :)

Thanks for answering the deployment question. Serbian would of still fallen even if I would of taken 2-3 units north to Italy. That was a error on my part.

As for the information on PP upkeep, thanks a lot for the information. I have seen the error in my ways!

CarnageINC -> RE: Carnageinc Central Powers AAR (11/17/2012 2:09:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Myrddraal

This is developing into a really exciting game. [:D]

Yes, it can feel like a waste to buy anything but the best, but garrison units come in very handy when you're on the back foot.

For example, you have a near solid line of infantry units in the north of the eastern front. At least half of those units could be garrisons, and you would be holding the line. That would save precious PPs that you could use to build infantry units to counter attack against their breakthrough.

A very delicate balance to purchasing garrison and infantry formations indeed.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI