Is there a good guide on how to create pockets? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room

Wartath -> Is there a good guide on how to create pockets? (11/14/2012 12:33:57 PM)

I just finished reading “Operational Bootcamp”, and there were some tips on how to create pockets. Few things still bug me, and I’m wondering if there is a better guide to pocketing?

Here are few questions, that pop in to my mind right now:

1. How far wide can I spread my units? Are they vulnerable, if there are 2-3 hexes between them? Or am I overreacting by placing them so close to one another?

2. What are the effects on soviets after they have been succesfully cut out? Do the effects show up during the next turn, or must I wait longer?

Any help would be appreciated! [&o]

timmyab -> RE: Is there a good guide on how to create pockets? (11/14/2012 1:51:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wartath
1. How far wide can I spread my units? Are they vulnerable, if there are 2-3 hexes between them? Or am I overreacting by placing them so close to one another?

2. What are the effects on soviets after they have been succesfully cut out? Do the effects show up during the next turn, or must I wait longer?

1. Very dependent on circumstances.If the enemy is very weak, i.e virtually nonexistent, then you can spread out as much as you like although you still need to stay solid at the base of the penetration.If he's strong, even SS divisions stacked two high may not be enough to prevent a pocket being broken.
Pay particular attention to cutting rail lines, both to prevent hasty retreats and to stop reinforcements being brought up quickly.On the turn the offensive begins, use air recon extensively to find enemy rear units.Don't just fly one or two missions, one or two hundred is nearer the mark especially in closed terrain.Even then you can still miss the odd one or two.

2. Effects are drastic and show up in the next turn.Stored ammo and supplies don't seem to make much difference, once you're isolated you're a dead duck.

General tip for creating pockets.
Learn how to herd.That is force defending units to retreat where you want them to.

Balou -> RE: Is there a good guide on how to create pockets? (11/14/2012 4:25:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: timmyab

Learn how to herd.That is force defending units to retreat where you want them to.

This is key and should really be emphasized. Because it may save MPs, which means more punch left for any enemy counterattacks & with more MPs for the next turn.

Disgruntled Veteran -> RE: Is there a good guide on how to create pockets? (11/14/2012 4:34:01 PM)

quote:

Depends on how close the rescuers are. If you have created a 3-4 hex barrier between trapped units and the rescuers you can space your units out with 2 hexes between them. If the encirclement is very tight than you need at least 1 unit on every hex. Here is an example of a perfect trap (from Terje)

[image]local://upfiles/41182/02235E7ADCF6424B9C3100633E4424D0.jpg[/image]

Wartath -> RE: Is there a good guide on how to create pockets? (11/15/2012 11:52:36 AM)

Thank you for quick replys! [:)]

quote:

ORIGINAL: timmyab

General tip for creating pockets.

What does this mean and how can I accomplish this? In my experience routing enemies tend to run all over the place. [&:]

timmyab -> RE: Is there a good guide on how to create pockets? (11/15/2012 1:19:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wartath
What does this mean and how can I accomplish this? In my experience routing enemies tend to run all over the place. [&:]

It concerns retreating units, routed units can be controlled to some extent as well but that's not so important.
The thing to remember is that units can't retreat into enemy controlled hexes and that they will always choose a hex that isn't in enemy ZOC if they have the option.The trick is to insure that they don't have an option.This will often involve moving a mobile unit through enemy ZOC to get behind defending units which is expensive for that particular unit, but it pays off big time for the rest of the mobile units that follow on after a three hex wide hole has been blown in the enemy position.No ZOC penalties.
This technique means that carpet defenses are much easier to overcome because most retreating units are kept away from the three hex wide assault zone.Only the units in the central one hex corridor will be pushed back into the carpet and this central corridor can often be chosen specifically for it's weakness anyway.With any luck some of these units will rout and those that don't will not add much to the carpet defense.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.953125E-02