OT: Real Life Military Wargames (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

TulliusDetritus -> OT: Real Life Military Wargames (11/9/2012 1:51:46 PM)

Another thread made me think about this.

Example (to stick to the Pacific Theatre):

The Japanese simulated (via "wargames") both the Pearl Harbor and Midway things. What kind of wargame/s were they using? WitP AE did not exist at that time after all! [:D]

Still, given that this was a matter of life and death I would necessarily conclude these "wargames" had to be rather professional, trustful. The future of the nation is at stake so they better accurately simulate the real thing...

Anyone knows something about the concept, elaboration, rules etc of these real life wargames (the above mentioned or others)?

adsoul64 -> RE: OT: Real Life Military Wargames (11/9/2012 2:05:08 PM)

Nice question, and a one I always wonder on my own. I bet some professional military is entitled to answer much more than me. The authors of Shattered Swords mention “die rolls” and referees talking about pre-Midway wargames made by IJN Officers, so you could infer something from their hint

Olorin -> RE: OT: Real Life Military Wargames (11/9/2012 2:40:07 PM)

Without having studied the subject in depth, my impression I get from the accounts of the German wargames prior to Case Yellow is that they were based mainly on opinion. A bunch of officers gathered to exchange their views on the operation and the most influential ones tended to prevail. For example, Halder and most of the German General Staff did not think that tanks could traverse the Ardennes and guys like Guderian were overshadowed during the wargames. The traditional General Staff was reluctant to transfer the weight of the attack to Army Group A. They did gradually make concessions because Hitler insisted on a more daring plan, but the resulting "Blitzkrieg" to the Channel was largely an ad-hoc plan, developed and executed by Guderian and other panzer generals, literally on the battlefield.

Regarding the Japanese wargames, I get the impression that were a tad more scientific than the German ones. From what I gather they tended to make fairly accurate predictions about the possible outcomes of operations.

JocMeister -> RE: OT: Real Life Military Wargames (11/9/2012 3:07:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin
Regarding the Japanese wargames, I get the impression that were a tad more scientific than the German ones. From what I gather they tended to make fairly accurate predictions about the possible outcomes of operations.

At first yes. But if the outcome didn´t go their way the results were often overruled and judged in the favor of the IJN. [X(]

AcePylut -> RE: OT: Real Life Military Wargames (11/9/2012 6:55:56 PM)

Imagine how quickly the house rules went out the window.

"HEY, we had an HR that said no 4E attacks below 10k."

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.293945E-02