RE: OT Election Day in America (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/6/2012 10:25:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

I am still waiting for the Constitutional Amendment which requires all ballots to have "None of the above" as a valid choice in the election. There would have to be a few details to work out, like the next election, etc., but that could be done.

Isn't that what a write-in is?

Q-Ball -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/6/2012 10:40:18 PM)

One of the biggest problems IMO is that it's increasingly difficult to have a civilized and respectful conversation on an issue between two people who honestly disagree. The electorate increasingly lives in an echo chamber of their own choosing, and truthful and honest discourse are casualties of that. Politicians are just a reflection of what we want: if we punished them for misleading or inacurate statements they would stop, but we don't....we elect them.

That's why threads like this often break down, because civility is dying. The only "truth" are facts that back a pre-determined position. It's a shame.

jeffk3510 -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/6/2012 10:46:59 PM)

+ 1

My wife and I DO NOT speak a lick of politics in our house. We're too far apart to even agree on anything and respect the other on politics.

...she's wrong...shhh [:-]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/6/2012 11:36:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

+ 1

My wife and I DO NOT speak a lick of politics in our house. We're too far apart to even agree on anything and respect the other on politics.

I made sure to marry someone who agrees with me.

Twice.

Chickenboy -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/6/2012 11:39:45 PM)

quote:

+ 1

Heh...sounds like our household. Although we can have civil discussions about some of the issues when both of us *really* want to hear what the other has to say. Most of the times that doesn't happen though.

Cannonfodder -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 5:51:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

+ 1

I made sure to marry someone who agrees with me.

Twice.

I had to spit back my morning coffee, lol

RisingSun -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 8:20:13 AM)

Well i didnt want either of them, but Obama would be more suitable than Romney anyway. Had a bad feelings that Romney will screwed things up and only make it worst. Not only our countries need a lift, but in Russia, Putin will work with Obama and would be mislead with Romney and no telling what might happen over there. The former KGB (Putin) already building up his military forces and closing down some important buildings in USSR. So hopefully things will cool down over in Russia, there are so much communists out there: USSR, China, NKorea, Mongolia, etcs. So we need to becareful, we dont need another cold war.

This time Obama need to do some serious ground works, after clean up on East Coast when the Hurricane hit. More jobs is needed, and alot of other things, but have to cut back on something else to do it. If things go wary down the roads for the next three or four months, i fear that someone might try to assassinate him.

I really dont care who work in the White House, find a way to get the peoples happy so they will get along and show respect for each others and get the job done!

jmalter -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 8:29:39 AM)

i'm a poll-worker in Western PA, voter turn-out was v. heavy! now i'm at home relaxin' w/ my next AE orders-phase & +3 w/ the box-wine, knowing that election-season is officially over until it starts up again in 3 or 4 months.

the end-of-day 'results' printout from our 5 touch-screen vote-machines were 'within the margin of error' of being 'bout 50/50 for each candidate in all seven elections on our ballot, we had no 'issue' initiatives (marriage/marijuana) up for vote here.

but what is cool about poll-workering (as a group, the six of us aren't at all politically identical) is the way we treat voters. we let parents bring their kids (any age from new-born to 17-year-olds) up to the ballot-machine, they vote together. if i can't find you in our registered-voter list? my co-worker beside me is already on her smart-phone, based on your street-address she'll say, "you're at the wrong polling-place, you need to go to this location instead." name-change problem? our chief (Judge of Election, she who must be obeyed) has the procedures & forms ready, but it'll take a bit of time to fill out a 'provisional ballot' if needed as a last resort. elderly/infirm/unfamiliar w/ the electronic machines? we'll do our best to guide you, but we can't physically touch your vote-machines's options (unless you need the assistance, & we fill out a form for that).

'cos as a group, we groove on helping people vote. the bestest is when you lead a 1st-timer up to the machine - might be a just-turned-18 person, or a new citizen of the immigrant variety.

yesterday, i was part of a group of 6 poll-workers, we processed 632 voters, 12 provisional ballots & tabulated the absentee ballots of 32 more. i'm a part of the 'arsenal of democracy' & proud of it!

ilovestrategy -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 11:06:16 AM)

quote:

+ 1

We're the same in our household. We voted for different people and both of us are cool with it. Like I said in General Discussion, I really wanted Oddball to get it. Woof! Woof!

pws1225 -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 11:42:02 AM)

+1 to jmalter's post.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 1:38:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

+1 to jmalter's post.

Especially the obvious box wine. [:)]

geofflambert -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 4:12:42 PM)

Box wine? Can you get Charles Shaw there? In CA it's called two-buck chuck, over the Rockies here it's three-buck chuck and it's better than any box wine I've ever had. Trader Joe's carries it here. I know PA has some really strange liquor laws. Some of the stuff you have to buy from State run PXs.

Chickenboy -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 4:51:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Box wine? Can you get Charles Shaw there? In CA it's called two-buck chuck, over the Rockies here it's three-buck chuck and it's better than any box wine I've ever had. Trader Joe's carries it here. I know PA has some really strange liquor laws. Some of the stuff you have to buy from State run PXs.

There are a handful of Trader Joe stores around the Twin Cities. They have 'three buck Chuck' too. They also have 'four-buck-Aussie-Chuck', which, in addition to de-greasing engines, is a good fighting (and sipping) wine.

I've been impressed with some of the box wines that we've tried. "Black Box" has some very nice varietals in particular.

John 3rd -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 5:07:33 PM)

Heck I married a wife (number 2 and THE keeper) who is even more REACTIONARY then me. Makes for few arguments and BUNCHES of laughter.

We don't speak of wife #1. She DOES NOT EXIST![sm=00000030.gif][sm=00000007.gif]

jmalter -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 6:25:47 PM)

quote:

cardboardeaux!

Chickenboy -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 6:30:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

quote:

cardboardeaux!

[:D]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 7:44:58 PM)

quote:

quote:

cardboardeaux!

Still missing the shift key I see. [:)]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 7:48:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Heck I married a wife (number 2 and THE keeper) who is even more REACTIONARY then me. Makes for few arguments and BUNCHES of laughter.

We don't speak of wife #1. She DOES NOT EXIST![sm=00000030.gif][sm=00000007.gif]

GOTP is cool on #1. Never met her, but she doesn't mind hearing about her.

My problem is their names are both four letters, with a vowel in position 2 and 4. In my mind I long ago assigned RAM to a string variable called "wife's name" and it's four characters long, with variable type "vowel at 2/4." So sometimes one name gets swapped for the other. Hilarity ensues.

No, really, hilarity ensues. Did I mention she used to castrate pigglets?

geofflambert -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/7/2012 9:48:31 PM)

Just tell her to stay away from our Gornlets. [X(]

RevRick -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/8/2012 2:28:12 AM)

We didn't talk politics in my family - my mother and both sisters regarded me a something to the right of Attila the Hun... I thought they'd make Marx look like a moderate. Therefore, that was something not often discussed in the home. Wish I could talk with Mom and my Sis now, though... wouldn't make much difference.

Now, my first wife... Obama would be too conservative.. That was a marriage definitely not made in heaven...

But I follow Heinlein's directions for voting:

quote:

If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and measures you want to vote for... But there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong. If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice. Then vote the other way. This enables you to be a good citizen (if such is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of time that truly intelligent exercise of the franchise requires.

Reg -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/8/2012 7:17:34 AM)

quote:

quote:

cardboardeaux!

I don't mind a drop of the Chateau de Cardboard myself...

Gabede -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/17/2012 8:58:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

We didn't talk politics in my family - my mother and both sisters regarded me a something to the right of Attila the Hun... I thought they'd make Marx look like a moderate. Therefore, that was something not often discussed in the home. Wish I could talk with Mom and my Sis now, though... wouldn't make much difference.

Now, my first wife... Obama would be too conservative.. That was a marriage definitely not made in heaven...

But I follow Heinlein's directions for voting:

quote:

If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and measures you want to vote for... But there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong. If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice. Then vote the other way. This enables you to be a good citizen (if such is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of time that truly intelligent exercise of the franchise requires.

+1 I really enjoy Heinlein, first read Starship Trooper when it was mandatory reading from my Gunny. Then soaked them all up, and tried to follow the same advice when voting. When i run into a situation i am unsure of, i just ask " What would Lazarus do? Would Jubal aprove?" Hasnt failed me yet, well at least i feel like i said or did the right thing. Others might disagree though.

ilovestrategy -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/18/2012 8:26:59 AM)

Great quote from Heinlen! [&o]

JeffK -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/18/2012 10:41:23 AM)

quote:

i'm a poll-worker in Western PA, voter turn-out was v. heavy! now i'm at home relaxin' w/ my next AE orders-phase & +3 w/ the box-wine, knowing that election-season is officially over until it starts up again in 3 or 4 months.

the end-of-day 'results' printout from our 5 touch-screen vote-machines were 'within the margin of error' of being 'bout 50/50 for each candidate in all seven elections on our ballot, we had no 'issue' initiatives (marriage/marijuana) up for vote here.

but what is cool about poll-workering (as a group, the six of us aren't at all politically identical) is the way we treat voters. we let parents bring their kids (any age from new-born to 17-year-olds) up to the ballot-machine, they vote together. if i can't find you in our registered-voter list? my co-worker beside me is already on her smart-phone, based on your street-address she'll say, "you're at the wrong polling-place, you need to go to this location instead." name-change problem? our chief (Judge of Election, she who must be obeyed) has the procedures & forms ready, but it'll take a bit of time to fill out a 'provisional ballot' if needed as a last resort. elderly/infirm/unfamiliar w/ the electronic machines? we'll do our best to guide you, but we can't physically touch your vote-machines's options (unless you need the assistance, & we fill out a form for that).

'cos as a group, we groove on helping people vote. the bestest is when you lead a 1st-timer up to the machine - might be a just-turned-18 person, or a new citizen of the immigrant variety.

yesterday, i was part of a group of 6 poll-workers, we processed 632 voters, 12 provisional ballots & tabulated the absentee ballots of 32 more. i'm a part of the 'arsenal of democracy' & proud of it!

It makes our system of 2 pieces of paper and a pencil sound so simple!

Maybe you need to move back into the 19th Century with us.

Encircled -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/18/2012 10:52:30 AM)

Those Coptic Christians have the right idea.

A blindfolded novice picks a name out of a hat to decide who is their new leader.

TulliusDetritus -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/18/2012 2:32:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

A blindfolded novice picks a name out of a hat to decide who is their new leader.

And that's possibly the right thing to do as the leader is not that important: the programme is (the "leader" is there to implement the programme, well, unless s/he is a crook / liar [:D]) And that's exactly what we forget sometimes during elections.

ilovestrategy -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/19/2012 7:58:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

And that's possibly the right thing to do as the leader is not that important: the programme is (the "leader" is there to implement the programme, well, unless s/he is a crook / liar [:D]) And that's exactly what we forget sometimes during elections.

I have to agree with this. I've lived through several decades of various leaders from all over the world and it's still the same as when I was a wee lad.

danlongman -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/19/2012 8:22:23 PM)

I would have Trouble taking too much advice and taking my political stance
totally from "Starship Troopers". I loved that book but RAH was something
of a dreamer and I was always told the book itself was satire. Plus the
sex scenes in his other works were so horrible that...gak!! I can't go on.
cheers

USS America -> RE: OT Election Day in America (11/19/2012 8:27:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I had a very hard time finding a good You Tube of Mary Ann and Mrs. Howell. These were the best I could come up with giving it a reasonable effort ("reasonable effort" for a light-hearted post like this one is a couple of minutes). I tried to find one for Mary Ann using the search phrase "Mary Ann in short shorts" but didn't strike instantaneous gold like I expected. If Mary Ann brought me a coconut creme pie in her traditional short shorts.....Lord, have mercy!

I have Season 1 on DVD. The freeze frame works well. [:)]

You boys are tugging at the heartstrings.... I have all four seasons of Mchales Navy and love it. Maybe it's my taste but that was great entertainment.... Gilligans Island, Hogan's Heroes, McHales Navy, Get Smart, The Twilight Zone and on and on....

Wow, that was my childhood "after school" television viewing: Gilligan's Island, Get Smart, and Hogan's Heroes, all on Channel 45, WBFF! [8D]

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI