Gaming the Game (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

Menschenfresser -> Gaming the Game (10/24/2012 12:18:19 PM)

Anyone with library or university journal database access might be able to check this out. In the Feb'12 issue of Simulation & Gaming, there's an article called Gaming the Game that details the risks of exactly that in educational wargaming for the military.

Funny thing is, the article uses pics from what seem to be military studies that have cadets sitting in front of large screens playing TOAW. Hah!

Gaming the game...I knew it.

Oberst_Klink -> RE: Gaming the Game (10/24/2012 12:42:33 PM)

Interesting... Perhaps I should email this chap:

Anders Frank, Department of Command and Control Sciences, Swedish National Defence College, P.O. Box 27805, Stockholm, S-115 88, Sweden Email: anders.frank@fhs.se

http://sag.sagepub.com/content/43/1/118.abstract

Perhaps I can publish extracts at my blogs?

Klink, Oberst

General Staff -> RE: Gaming the Game (10/24/2012 3:02:10 PM)

Hehe. That'd be handy, Herr Oberst.

From the abstract: "A player with a gamer-mode attitude strives to achieve goals that are optimal for winning the game, but sub-optimal with respect to educational objectives.".

I'd suggest 'gaming the game' inherently means there's a problem with the 'game', like 'ant' attacks/surrounds in TOAW, now seemingly solved (v3.4?).

MarGol -> RE: Gaming the Game (10/25/2012 5:29:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Interesting... Perhaps I should email this chap:

Anders Frank, Department of Command and Control Sciences, Swedish National Defence College, P.O. Box 27805, Stockholm, S-115 88, Sweden Email: anders.frank@fhs.se

I contacted him a while ago after seeing TOAW mentioned in connection with staff training for the Swedish armed forces. Apparently, they used TOAW in the annual "gaming weeks" for cadets. However, last year or so they switched to another commercially available software that I have forgotten the name of.

Martin

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.416016E-02