Strat Move Question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

ctangus -> Strat Move Question (10/22/2012 10:53:39 PM)

Anyone ever seen anything like this? I have a unit that appears to be on the railline - see pic.

[image]local://upfiles/18431/AE8315E864F14DD38CAEBE84B01BB6F8.jpg[/image]

ctangus -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/22/2012 10:55:39 PM)

But the strategic movement option isn't available. Not a huge deal, I just want to move this unit for garrison purposes, but curious nonetheless:

[image]local://upfiles/18431/0C0FA2B60DEB4392B1BC44225597B82B.jpg[/image]

Schanilec -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/22/2012 11:10:01 PM)

China? That would explain it. Not all seemingly developed transportaion routes are made for strat. move.

rjopel -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/22/2012 11:19:11 PM)

Unit has to start in a city to be placed into STRATMOVE Mode.

ctangus -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/22/2012 11:43:53 PM)

That would explain it. Thanks!

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/22/2012 11:58:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjopel

Unit has to start in a city to be placed into STRATMOVE Mode.

If my guys could hail a passing train that would be nice. Heck of a tip though.

dr.hal -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/23/2012 1:11:14 PM)

Even a hex with a "DOT" in it doesn't qualify to start a strategic journey, but I do believe you can end one there...

Blackhorse -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/24/2012 11:36:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Even a hex with a "DOT" in it doesn't qualify to start a strategic journey, but I do believe you can end one there...

Eh? I've started Strat moves from dot-bases. (They have to be on a RR -- or, I suppose, a major road, for those nationalities that are allowed to strat move on roads).

dr.hal -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/24/2012 2:43:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

quote:

Eh? I've started Strat moves from dot-bases. (They have to be on a RR -- or, I suppose, a major road, for those nationalities that are allowed to strat move on roads).

Hmmmm well I'll try again, but I don't even get the chance as the Strategic move option is grayed out..... can anyone shed some light on this?

margeorg -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/24/2012 3:24:01 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

quote:

Hmmmm well I'll try again, but I don't even get the chance as the Strategic move option is grayed out..... can anyone shed some light on this?

quote:

You can indeed start strat moves from dot-base hexes. Iīve done this multiple times. Keep in mind, however, that only certain nationīs units are able to do strat moves. AFAIK entitites like free french, indian, and the chinese are not able for this.

Banzan -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/24/2012 3:24:34 PM)

I would guess a road and not a railroad connection. Some units can use strategic road movment (RD) to simulate motorized units, but many can't.

dr.hal -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/25/2012 4:12:45 PM)

You wrote: "Keep in mind, however, that only certain nationīs units are able to do strat moves. AFAIK entitites like free french, indian, and the chinese are not able for this."

Hmmmmmm Yet, I've moved TONS of Indian and Chinese units via strategic move, so I'm not sure what you mean... do you mean NOT from dot hexes? I don't mean to be picky but I'm not sure where you are going with the above... Hal

Blackhorse -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/26/2012 3:43:00 AM)

Certain allied nationalities can strat move by rail or road. Others (indians, chinese, etc.) can only strat move by rail.

margeorg -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/26/2012 6:53:00 AM)

Yeah,

sorry, thatīs what I wanted to say.

dr.hal -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/26/2012 11:22:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: margeorg

Yeah,

sorry, thatīs what I wanted to say.

Ahhh, now I get it...ok. thanks.

Alfred -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/26/2012 3:22:33 PM)

1. For those who want more info on the issue of strategic movement, they should read this thread

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3148512&mpage=1&key=strategic%2Cmovement�

and the link I gave in one of my posts.

2. Only six nationalities can undertake strategic road movement:

• USA
  • AUS
  • NZ
  • BRIT
  • IND
  • CAN

You should note that both USN and USMC are not in the above list. This is something which was brought to Andy Mac's attention (or was it Andrew Brown?) and IIRC the reply was that it probably was an "oversight". However I don't think there is any intended recoding in mind to add the USN/USMC to the nationalities which can use strategic road movement.

3. All nationalities can use strategic railway movement.

Alfred

dr.hal -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/26/2012 8:49:34 PM)

Thanks Alfred, interesting tidbit about the USN and USMC oversight. Hal

Kull -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/26/2012 9:23:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

You should note that both USN and USMC are not in the above list. This is something which was brought to Andy Mac's attention (or was it Andrew Brown?) and IIRC the reply was that it probably was an "oversight". However I don't think there is any intended recoding in mind to add the USN/USMC to the nationalities which can use strategic road movement.

Not necessarily an oversight. We ARE talking about squids and jarheads, after all. Most of 'em are about 5 beers shy of a six pack. [:D]

Reg -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/26/2012 10:33:17 PM)

quote:

How much organic motorised lift capability is there in a Marine Division?? All the others on the list had significant capability either organic or at the Corps level.

Blackhorse -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/27/2012 12:53:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

How much organic motorised lift capability is there in a Marine Division?? All the others on the list had significant capability either organic or at the Corps level.

Much less than a US Army division. Throughout the war the US Army Groung Forces (the staff command in Washington, DC) struggled to reduce the number of trucks in each army division in order to reduce the shipping needed to move the division overseas, and to free up more men for service in the line. I have the actual numbers somewhere, just not at my fingertips.

I did the OOB for US ground forces in AE. I'm fine with not allowing USMC/USN units to road stratmove. They had less organic transport then did the army. On the other hand, if Marines absolutely had to be moved somewhere by road, I'm guessing Uncle Sam would have rustled up some trucks from a nearby depot, even if it was run by the Army, to send the naval infantry on their merry way. [;)]

PaxMondo -> RE: Strat Move Question (10/27/2012 9:50:19 AM)

The Marines would have been too proud to ask, and 5 miles down the road by the time the Army noticed that they needed any trucks.  [;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI