Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

guytipton41 -> Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/21/2012 10:48:25 PM)

Hi Folks,

I emailed some Dutch patrol squadrons to CenPac via Port Stanley (on account of Perth being bought up by Japanese real estate agents). Neglected to dump the motor launches. [:(] <a screen shot will be here if the right keys magically press them selves.> So the ML are out of fuel and are not refueling from the AKs in the TF. The TF is doing off-map movement at about one hex per day. The patrol squadrons will arrive in time for Christmas, completely missing Thanksgiving. Is there anyway to unscrew this? I don't seem to be able to split the ML off into their own TF while off-map.

Cheers,
Guy

[image]local://upfiles/37716/2E4EC15027134A2289B48E16290C66C6.jpg[/image]

Don Bowen -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/22/2012 2:09:50 AM)

ALL of the ships in the TF have endurance in the red. No ship has spare fuel to give to any other ship. Splitting the TF would have no meaning. What is needed is an oiler or some other ship with a LOT of spare fuel.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/22/2012 2:38:34 AM)

Don't feel too bad. I can't even count the number of times I have screwed up on fuel consumption and paid dearly for it.

They would have kicked me out of the Navy and sent me straight into the infantry.

JeffK -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/22/2012 4:00:39 AM)

Can you send an AO with a refuel mission, dont know if it works off map??

jmalter -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/22/2012 5:24:40 AM)

nah, once a TF is in an off-map pipeline, you can't send another TF to rendezvous w/ it. only thing you can do, set it to cruise speed. also, where is this TF & why is it trying to get to Tahiti? set destination/homeport to the closest available destination, some ships might turn orange & have a bit of fuel to give away.

JeffK -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/22/2012 5:51:44 AM)

There is a button that shows the path of the TF, is it trying to circle the globe instead of follow a straight path??

Can you get it to return to Pt Stanley??

LoBaron -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/22/2012 9:25:22 AM)

When the TF is already in off map movement there is nothing you can and should do.
The game reacts quite erratic to changes to off map task forces.

Off map movement does not consume any fuel.
The MLs must already have been out of fuel before you entered off map: you got "do not refuel" set.

Looks like you have to wait, or search a savegame from before the journey. [;)]

JocMeister -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/22/2012 1:52:33 PM)

I did the same thing a while back. Took me 40 days to get the TF back [>:]

bradfordkay -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/22/2012 4:44:05 PM)

What you can do is click on the TF and find where its path will be when it reaches the map. Send a replenishment TF to this path so as to refuel the TF as soon as it arrives on map.

aphrochine -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/22/2012 11:01:53 PM)

My first PBEM game, it was a 2v2 (fun but slow experiment). I was in command of the USA and ANZAC my partner in command of Far East and the KMT. I had finally got all 6 CVs together after a few months of play and took my CVs on a Sixpack tour of the Marshals. The KB was discovered near Wake, patrolling. I raced in at full speed to catch them, only I ran out of fuel and the KB found 5 beautiful, fully loaded CVs adrift in the pacific...unable to launch planes. Only the Lucky E had any fuel to continue on, which ironically left her out of strike range of the KB (we cris crossed overnight).

That ended that game.

Again, in my current PBEM, I had sent the Lexington and Enterprise to the DEI to interdict IJN operations. Except I miscalculated fuel and left those 2 CVs out of fuel. It took 3 days for the oilers to reach the TF from Soerbaja....3 long and nail biting turns. The KB was slowly on my trail, because I had attacked and raided my way across CenPac and SoPac with KB following behind by about 4 days.

My lessons, check fuel often...and early.

bradfordkay -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/22/2012 11:53:22 PM)

I look at my CV TFs every turn - as well as any other important TFs. I hate to send ones that are below 50% fuel into battle, because your fuel consumption increases a great deal in combat.

SuluSea -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/23/2012 12:46:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

When the TF is already in off map movement there is nothing you can and should do.

The MLs must already have been out of fuel before you entered off map:
you got "do not refuel" set.

Off map to off map base doesn't consume fuel but off map base to on map areas do.

It's been a long time since the same has happened to me but sooner or later the MLs will get a bump in fuel (at least mine did). I chalked it up to an abstracted replenishment TF ...

LoBaron -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/23/2012 8:05:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

The MLs must already have been out of fuel before you entered off map:
you got "do not refuel" set.

Off map to off map base doesn't consume fuel but off map base to on map areas do.

It's been a long time since the same has happened to me but sooner or later the MLs will get a bump in fuel (at least mine did). I chalked it up to an abstracted replenishment TF ...

Thanks, another thing learned.

guytipton41 -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/25/2012 4:15:00 AM)

Hi Folks,

I fumbled around with the buttons and after a couple of turns I got the TF turned around back to Port Stanley. (The 1st time I managed to get the destination set to Pt. Stan, then the next time I could change the home port.) Funny thing is now it's taking even longer (almost twice as many days) to get back than it would have to have continued on to map. Don't try this at home kids.

Cheers,
Guy

[image]local://upfiles/37716/8E67E7DE10A642A8BBD899412310355E.gif[/image]

guytipton41 -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/25/2012 4:16:44 AM)

Hi Folks,

Follow up to my immediately previous post. Why is Port Stanley 9970 hexes away?

Cheers,
Guy

bradfordkay -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/25/2012 5:49:09 AM)

All I know is that forum posts indicate that bad things happen when you try to change the sailing directions of TFs that are already traveling off-map.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/25/2012 12:58:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: guytipton41

Hi Folks,

Follow up to my immediately previous post. Why is Port Stanley 9970 hexes away?

Cheers,
Guy

The devs have stated many times that off-map movement is not hex-based. It's a math exercise based on tables and indexes. The TF doesn't "know" where it is in x,y terms as it does on the map. When you spin a TF off-map, or change its destination, it can lose all connection to reality depending on what's going on when you do it, and that something is deep in the code with no player feedback. Sometimes you can do it and nothing happens. Sometimes you do it and the game is ruined. There have been cases where players lost whole carrier TFs by changing orders in the wormhole. Bottom line, there's nothing that can happen to a TF you mistakenly sent somewhere off-map that's as bad as the potential damage from trying to fix it. Live with the move, at some point it will pop back on the map, and you clean up the mess then.

guytipton41 -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/30/2012 1:38:32 AM)

A Happy Ending!

The fuel fairies came along and refueled the TF and now it is 6 days out of Port Stanley. I'm guessing there is a clean-up subroutine that runs maybe once a week and looks for orphan TF in the off-map boxes. Not as good as fixing the bug, but as a software designer with 30+ years experience I have done similar or worse! (Or much worse!) [:D]

Cheers,
Guy

[image]local://upfiles/37716/557ABE78FAD34F9BACAC8233695189F2.gif[/image]

LoBaron -> RE: Sigh, another thing to avoid in the future (10/30/2012 7:37:22 AM)

Cpt. E. Poole, the WWII version of Ulysses. FTW!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI