Quiet Day On The GD Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

warspite1 -> Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/14/2012 6:42:26 PM)

Where is everyone? Dare I say, it's quiet...too quiet?

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/14/2012 6:52:01 PM)

Just got back from church, you didn't here me come in.[X(][:D]

Josh -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/14/2012 7:18:52 PM)

Out walking with g/f and before that working out at the gym. Back tho, d/l PC Grand Campaign West ... at a dog slow d/l speed I can add [:@] I mean really 80Kb/s  argh.

/edit; maybe it's because the servers are from across the pond?

//edit; hang on almost 300 Kb/s... 350 nearing 400 YAY!

warspite1 -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/14/2012 7:26:21 PM)

We went out for a nice slap up sunday lunch to celebrate my youngest passing some exams for the secondary school selection process [:)]

ilovestrategy -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/14/2012 8:20:15 PM)

Been playing Skyrim and Lord of the Rings Online. Man, I haven't had a good breakfast since Warspite made breakfast for all of us here a couple of months ago.

warspite1 -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/14/2012 9:24:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Been playing Skyrim and Lord of the Rings Online. Man, I haven't had a good breakfast since Warspite made breakfast for all of us here a couple of months ago.
warspite1

Glad you enjoyed it ILS. I will be doing the same this coming weekend so please leave your orders, in an appropriately named new thread, and I will see what I can rustle up.

radic202 -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/14/2012 9:43:21 PM)

Was playing "The Walking Dead" PC Game, then "of Orcs and Humans" then "XCOM, Enemy unknown", so a little busy................Oh and cooking a Prime Rib Roast beef in the oven on a really and I mean really rainy day and polishing up on my 20 year old blended Canadian whiskey!

parusski -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/14/2012 10:40:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I am right here.

Lützow -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/15/2012 12:15:29 AM)

Been playing XCOM:EU whole day. [:D]

Rtwfreak -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/15/2012 2:35:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

I am right here.

How do you know you are not wrong here? smirk

parusski -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/15/2012 2:55:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

quote:

quote:

I am right here.

Now that you mention it, I really have NO idea where I am.

Aurelian -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/15/2012 3:12:24 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am right here.

I saw you over there.

Orm -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/15/2012 8:47:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am right here.

I saw you over there.

Where is that?

warspite1 -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/16/2012 7:11:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am right here.

I saw you over there.

Where is that?
warspite1

Duh?? It's over there of course [;)]

Perturabo -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/16/2012 7:55:50 PM)

I was busy with my first serious Bad Linux Experience - trying to find out what is wrong with newest Linux Mint LMDE. It was the desktop manager or something that was horribly slow and drawn out installation horribly and stuff. On the next day I installed Fluxbox on it and I had trouble with it, I discovered that half of stuff that I try to apt-get has some conflicts that prevent it from being installed or tries to uninstall system-critical stuff. Awesome, a suicidal distro.
Yesterday I installed Anti-X instead that comes with Fluxbox from the start. Had to reinstall it a few times because installing it without formatting the home partition resulted in an unconfigured desktop without any programs available.
Then I tried to install the NVidia graphics card drivers (I had to use a script for it!) and every time it broke X11. I tried various options, nothing worked.
Several reinstalls later I gave up on trying to fix it.
Oh and the default files manager was so awesome that it didn't even allow to copy-paste and drag and drop stuff. Hello? 80s have called, they want their distro back.
The only upside was that it had ~3% processor use when idle and with system monitor on.
The interface was horrible too.

Finally, when browsing the internets in search for the solution to the driver problem, it turned out that nVidia has dropped the support for older GeForce cards and the newest X11 won't work correctly without new drivers. Awesome. Thanks a lot for telling me guys before I wasted two days and CDs. I mean, it's pretty big news and it doesn't happen every day. They could have mentioned it in release notes or something. But neither Mint nor Anti-X did.
So, finally, I have downloaded the last version of Linux Mint that works without these new nVidia drivers and burned the CD and installed it today. So, I'm back.

SLAAKMAN -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/16/2012 8:13:12 PM)

quote:

Quiet Day On The GD Thread

Is that code for "All Quiet on the Groß Deutschland TankTread"? [:'(]

Perturabo,
quote:

Finally, when browsing the internets in search for the solution to the driver problem, it turned out that nVidia has dropped the support for older GeForce cards and the newest X11 won't work correctly without new drivers. Awesome. Thanks a lot for telling me guys before I wasted two days and CDs. I mean, it's pretty big news and it doesn't happen every day. They could have mentioned it in release notes or something. But neither Mint nor Anti-X did.
So, finally, I have downloaded the last version of Linux Mint that works without these new nVidia drivers and burned the CD and installed it today. So, I'm back.

Nvidia has been on my Schitz-List too. Good to see youre back Mr P.! [:D]

[image]local://upfiles/7190/382B3C3E3D244531B317B3E1E2462B39.jpg[/image]

Perturabo -> RE: Quiet Day On The GD Thread (10/16/2012 9:54:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

Perturabo,
quote:

Nvidia has been on my Schitz-List too. Good to see youre back Mr P.! [:D]

Good to see you too [:D] . My main problem here is with the Linux distro guys. It's kinda understandable that Nvidia doesn't want to support 9-10+ years old video cards any more. It's still good that they did it for such a long time. The thing that annoys me is that the people who make Linux distros didn't consider it to be important news.
And that apparently people with old cards will be left behind with security updates and stuff like that because the new X11 must have new video card drivers.
Generally, one would think that free OS would be quite popular with people who buy used hardware.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.050781E-02