Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

abulbulian -> Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/11/2012 7:29:20 PM)

From the below manual excerpt it mentions 'replacement ships are generated if the option is selected'. I can't seem to find this option in the WitP:AE game. Is this something similar to 'Japanese Sub Doctrine' option that has just been removed from AE? If so what is the status of the below 16.1.1 rule. Always in effect?

Thanks

16.1.1 AUTOMATIC SHIP REPLACEMENTS
There are several instances in which replacement ships may be provided as reinforcements
if a ship is sunk during the game. Replacement ships are generated if the option is selected
for the scenario and:
- An American CV is sunk prior to 1944 will be replaced by an Essex-class CV.

-An American or Australian CA that is sunk prior to 1944 will be replaced by a Baltimore-class
CA or a Cleveland-class CL. The replacement class is chosen at random.

-Japanese Midget Submarines will be replaced with a Type D Midget Submarine

Whenever a replacement ship is created, it will be placed in the reinforcement list and given an
arrival time of at least 450 days from the date the original ship was sunk.

Cannonfodder -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/11/2012 7:54:43 PM)

List of replacement ships is fixed. Your losses do not influence this. The rule as mentioned in the manual is not active.

abulbulian -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/11/2012 7:58:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

List of replacement ships is fixed. Your losses do not influence this. The rule as mentioned in the manual is not active.

Just to clarify, you're saying that I can see the list ships that will arrive in the UI via the Ship Availability page for either side in game. This will not change by ship loses as describing in the 'out-dated' rule 16.1.1.

Cannonfodder -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/11/2012 7:59:14 PM)

Spot on :-). You do get to rename a few ships on the allied side... Just check the "replacement" Essex class carriers, doubleclick on the Hornet II for example and rename it to match your mother in laws maiden name. How cool is that!

CyrusSpitama -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/11/2012 8:08:05 PM)

quote:

Just check the "replacement" Essex class carriers, doubleclick on the Hornet II for example and rename it to match your mother in laws maiden name. How cool is that!

lol !

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/11/2012 8:34:50 PM)

quote:

It's not active in the stock scenarios. It's one click to turn it on in the editor. I have played Scen 2 with this on and the Allies get a whole pantload of new carriers and heavy cruisers, all re-namable.

CyrusSpitama -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/11/2012 9:02:55 PM)

You scared me with that news Moose. I shall now have to confirm any scenario I play has this option off. Hard enough to sink all those Allied ships at the start. To know sinking one just creates another makes me think I am fighting a mythical hydra.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/11/2012 9:13:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CyrusSpitama

You scared me with that news Moose. I shall now have to confirm any scenario I play has this option off. Hard enough to sink all those Allied ships at the start. To know sinking one just creates another makes me think I am fighting a mythical hydra.

The ones with a "II" edition are fixed and not infinite. They are "historical" in that they were built, but not necessarily historical in your specific game. If Yorktown is not sunk in real life there would not have been a Yorktown II. With this switch checked in the editor the IIs are built regardless of game losses. That's all. It's nice, but by the time the Allies get most of the hulls they don't really need them.

It is fun to have a lot of ships to re-name.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/11/2012 10:16:46 PM)

Just be sure to rename them before they appear on the map. Once they arrive the option to rename goes away. I learned that the hard way :(

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/11/2012 10:54:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Just be sure to rename them before they appear on the map. Once they arrive the option to rename goes away. I learned that the hard way :(

True. Otherwise you can't have a USS Adrienne Barbeau, a heavy-gun cruiser.

Mundy -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/12/2012 12:49:45 AM)

Yorktown (CV-10) was to be Bon Homme Richard. That name would up later for CV-31. In my game where CV-5 is still alive, I went with Reprisal, which was never built and took the "II"s off the rest.

Good thing about Wiki is being able to sort the names out.

Ed-

JeffK -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/12/2012 4:47:48 AM)

Its the "respawn" button in the editor.

Shark7 -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/12/2012 6:38:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: CyrusSpitama

The ones with a "II" edition are fixed and not infinite. They are "historical" in that they were built, but not necessarily historical in your specific game. If Yorktown is not sunk in real life there would not have been a Yorktown II. With this switch checked in the editor the IIs are built regardless of game losses. That's all. It's nice, but by the time the Allies get most of the hulls they don't really need them.

It is fun to have a lot of ships to re-name.

And in this particular example, if Yorktown (I) had not been sunk, then Yorktown (II) would have actually been commissioned as Bon Homme Richard.

ckammp -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/12/2012 2:25:51 PM)

quote:

quote:

It's not active in the stock scenarios. It's one click to turn it on in the editor. I have played Scen 2 with this on and the Allies get a whole pantload of new carriers and heavy cruisers, all re-namable.

When playing with "Use Respawn" option ON, you can not rename any ships. Yorktown II, for example will arrive as and remain Yorktown II.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/12/2012 2:47:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ckammp

quote:

quote:

quote:

When playing with "Use Respawn" option ON, you can not rename any ships. Yorktown II, for example will arrive as and remain Yorktown II.

I checked and you are correct. I played this two years ago and have since played non-respawn where I went crazy renaming. Respawn is boring.

obvert -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/12/2012 2:50:16 PM)

quote:

quote:

I had to look this name up as I wasn't familiar with it, try to understand why the ship with this name would be a 'heavy-gun cruiser.' Now I know! [:D]

I even found a military connection:

http://www.militaryspot.com/community/military_pin_ups_-_gallery_1970s/

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/12/2012 2:54:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

quote:

I had to look this name up as I wasn't familiar with it, try to understand why the ship with this name would be a 'heavy-gun cruiser.' Now I know! [:D]

I even found a military connection:

http://www.militaryspot.com/community/military_pin_ups_-_gallery_1970s/

Yep. Look up the movie "Escape from New York"--she carries a lot of guns in that one. [:)]

In the link you posted I see they airbrushed Cheryl Tiegs to an extreme degree. Odd, since the original, un-brushed version appeared in a 1976 "Time" magazine article which I saw in the high school library. Changed my life, man.

Q-Ball -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/12/2012 3:57:36 PM)

If you want to play it serious, REPRISAL is a good name to use on the "II" ships.

USN CVs were typically named after either a) warships from the age of sail, or b) battles in american history, though many of the Civil War battles were avoided, particularly ones that had a clear victor. No reason to "pick a side". ANTIETAM is the only ACW battle, and that was a draw. I suppose you could go with SHILOH along that theme

But I like the Age of Sail ships. Some more besides REPRISAL:

ALLIANCE

CONGRESS

CONSTELLATION (which was the name of one of the Lex/Sara BCs)

UNITED STATES

PRESIDENT

LAWRENCE

NIAGARA

(These last two were important in the underrated Battle of Lake Erie)

Chickenboy -> RE: Automatic Ship Replacements - WitP:AE (10/12/2012 4:28:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

If you want to play it serious, REPRISAL is a good name to use on the "II" ships.

USN CVs were typically named after either a) warships from the age of sail, or b) battles in american history, though many of the Civil War battles were avoided, particularly ones that had a clear victor. No reason to "pick a side". ANTIETAM is the only ACW battle, and that was a draw. I suppose you could go with SHILOH along that theme

But I like the Age of Sail ships. Some more besides REPRISAL:

ALLIANCE

CONGRESS

CONSTELLATION (which was the name of one of the Lex/Sara BCs)

UNITED STATES

PRESIDENT

LAWRENCE

NIAGARA

(These last two were important in the underrated Battle of Lake Erie)

Interesting and plausible lists, Q-ball. Except for Lawrence. I can't imagine much engendered love for the USS Larry. Similarly, USS William will be known as the "Big Bill"-I don't know if that reflects the expected majesty and pomp the namers strived for.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.710938E-02