Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Canoerebel -> Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/25/2012 1:51:12 PM)

You Pacific War historians did NOT know this factoid taken from Do-Or-Die Men: The First Marine Raider Battalion at Guadalcanal, by George W. Smith, Pocket Books, Copyright 2003, pg. 124: "Counting seven sailors lost on supporting naval vessels, a total of 122 Americans died to secure Tulagi and Gavutu-Tanambogo. The Japanese total came to about 863,347 on Tulagi and 516 on Gavutu-Tanambogo."

It's hard to believe Japan lost that many men on Tulagi. They undoubtedly didn't have stacking limits. It looks more like the results of one of my failed combats in China. I wonder how many devices and points that represents?

P.S. This was a simple typo - there should have been a space or dash, so that it read: "...total of 863, representing 347 on Tulagi and 516 on Gavutu-Tanambogo."

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/25/2012 3:27:40 PM)

LOL - small error, big effect!

Reminds me of this joke (OT but well):

A new monk arrived at the monastery. He was assigned to help the other monks in copying the old texts by hand. He noticed, however, that they were copying copies, not the original books. The new monk went to the head monk to ask him about this. He pointed out that if there were an error in the first copy, that error would be continued in all of the other copies.

The head monk said, "We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son." The head monk went down into the cellar with one of the copies to check it against the original.

Hours later, nobody had seen him, so one of the monks went downstairs to look for him. He heard a sobbing coming from the back of the cellar and found the old monk leaning over one of the original books, crying.

He asked what was wrong.

"The word is 'celebrate' not 'celibate'!" sobbed the head monk.

Lecivius -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/25/2012 4:14:52 PM)

[:D]

Apollo11 -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/25/2012 4:20:11 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

LOL - small error, big effect!

Reminds me of this joke (OT but well):

A new monk arrived at the monastery. He was assigned to help the other monks in copying the old texts by hand. He noticed, however, that they were copying copies, not the original books. The new monk went to the head monk to ask him about this. He pointed out that if there were an error in the first copy, that error would be continued in all of the other copies.

The head monk said, "We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son." The head monk went down into the cellar with one of the copies to check it against the original.

Hours later, nobody had seen him, so one of the monks went downstairs to look for him. He heard a sobbing coming from the back of the cellar and found the old monk leaning over one of the original books, crying.

He asked what was wrong.

"The word is 'celebrate' not 'celibate'!" sobbed the head monk.

Leo "Apollo11"

dr.hal -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/25/2012 4:32:02 PM)

Ahhhhh numbers, how they can be "used" for disinformation. I remember a report in the Soviet paper Pravda (the Russian word for "truth") on an athletic event a few decades ago, it reported that the Soviet Union had placed second in the important event while the USA had been next to last. Which was true! What they failed to say was that there were only two participants in the event.....

Empire101 -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/25/2012 6:28:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Ahhhhh numbers, how they can be "used" for disinformation. I remember a report in the Soviet paper Pravda (the Russian word for "truth") on an athletic event a few decades ago, it reported that the Soviet Union had placed second in the important event while the USA had been next to last. Which was true! What they failed to say was that there were only two participants in the event.....

That is a great example of disinformation!![:D]

Nikademus -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/25/2012 6:32:47 PM)

Proof that stacking limits are borked. [:D] Good thing Chuck Norris was part of the Tulagi force. Not even 800,000 enemy troops can match one Chuck Norris.

dr.hal -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/25/2012 6:42:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

That is a great example of disinformation!![:D]

Empire101,

I would argue that this is not "disinformation" due to the simple fact that what was written was true, but just not the full picture. Disinformation from my humble view are lies used to disguise, counter or dismiss the truth.... I believe the Soviet Union even had a Department of Disinformation" but not sure.

wadail -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/25/2012 9:58:32 PM)

Today that'd be called "Public Relations".

Yaab -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/26/2012 5:48:24 AM)

16.4.2 Special Tulagi Replacements?

Cribtop -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/26/2012 6:25:40 AM)

The Japanese numbers for that are borked, Dan, as they counted the entire stock of M&M Enterprises' sea urchin roe. Tulagi was a major hub for this illicit wartime trade. By falsifying official reports to count roe as IJ Marines, M&M was able to justify deployment of a massive fleet of supply subs to transport the contraband throughout the Empire. Rumors persist that the capture of Tulagi was engineered by a renegade sub captain and Milo Minderbender in order to begin use of USN supply vessels to carry sea urchin roe due to increased effectiveness of Allied ASW efforts hurting profits.

LoBaron -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/26/2012 6:31:09 AM)

mikkey -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/26/2012 1:57:40 PM)

bushpsu -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/26/2012 2:16:24 PM)

Dr. Hal,

I have been using that example for years when I introduce statistics to my students.

Canoerebel -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/26/2012 2:35:58 PM)

I've used this kind of thing in my law practice too, generally in explaining to juries why witnesses take an oath to tell "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." Most of us have forgotten today just what that means. The Russian "spin" is an example of the truth, but it isn't the whole truth.

MineSweeper -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/26/2012 8:03:56 PM)

oldman45 -> RE: Fortress Tulagi: Wow! (9/26/2012 8:16:48 PM)

In the 80's I had to spend a lot of time on the road very early in the mornings, ie 3 - 4AM. If the weather conditions were right, I could pick up Radio Moscow on my AM radio. To hear them tell the days world news was fascinating. It was similar to the evening news I had listened to at dinner time but they changed a word here and there and the story took on a whole new meaning.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI