A Military Question from a non-military person (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

radic202 -> A Military Question from a non-military person (9/17/2012 12:00:35 AM)

Hey Gang:

I am not a military expert in anyway, actually I look up to all of you for some advice every now and then or read some of the awesome threads you all talk about (that thread on WW2 Italian warplanes is till by far my favorite) but my 11 year old nephew is doing a small school project of tanks and came across this picture whom he asked me this question:

Is that a barrel of gasoline on the back of the tank? And is that not stupid as one single shot form a rifle would send the tank in flames etc....He has a point and I being no connaisseur of tanks said I would ask the only people I know who can give us a straight answer.

So from me and my nephew Jonathan, thanks in advance gang!

[image][IMG]http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss123/radic202/T62vol1profiles.jpg[/IMG][/image]

sulla05 -> RE: A Military Question from a non-military person (9/17/2012 12:34:58 AM)

They look like T-62s and I have seen more pics with a diesel tank on the back.

In normal operation tanks used to have gas cans strung all over them when not in enemy contact.

Joe D. -> RE: A Military Question from a non-military person (9/17/2012 12:48:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

... In normal operation tanks used to have gas cans strung all over them when not in enemy contact.

In WW II, Soviet tanks had troops strung all over them as they drove into combat!
A highly hazardous ride.

Jeffrey H. -> RE: A Military Question from a non-military person (9/17/2012 4:16:44 AM)

Wikipedia says they are option fuel drums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-62

2ndACR -> RE: A Military Question from a non-military person (9/17/2012 4:24:27 AM)

Yes, they are fuel tanks, IIRC, there is a release switch inside the drivers compartment that will release the drum when enemy contact occurs. Russia loved to stick fuel drums on their tanks.

junk2drive -> RE: A Military Question from a non-military person (9/17/2012 5:24:58 AM)

Go buy junior a gun and take him into the back yard. Fill a can with gas and shoot away. Next class will be tossing cigs into puddles of gas.

If the drums have diesel fuel, it is very hard to ignite. Cetane http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_number

jomni -> RE: A Military Question from a non-military person (9/17/2012 7:26:58 AM)

It's not as stupid as we think. If we can put external fuel tanks on aircraft, why not tanks. :)

Kineas -> RE: A Military Question from a non-military person (9/17/2012 9:08:13 AM)

AFAIK some burning fuel on the hull is not dangerous to a modern MBT. Molotov cocktails were more sophisticated (not simply gasoline in a glass) even in the WW2 era.

redcoat -> RE: A Military Question from a non-military person (9/17/2012 10:47:27 AM)

The British used jettisonable auxiliary fuel tanks with some of their tanks - Matildas and Valentines - during WW2 in North Africa. It gave them a much greater range in the desert. They could be ditched in combat. IIRC they were bullet proof.

There are some photos of a restored Matilda with such a tank here.

Joe D. -> RE: A Military Question from a non-military person (9/17/2012 2:01:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

It's not as stupid as we think. If we can put external fuel tanks on aircraft, why not tanks. :)

Didn't the Zero have internal fuel tanks between the pilot and the engine?
And they weren't self-sealing, either.

radic202 -> RE: A Military Question from a non-military person (9/17/2012 11:21:45 PM)

Wow, thanks for all the answers!

I had no idea that they could be dislodged so easily from the inside, thought that men had to actually get out of the tank and untie them then get back in the fight. Had no idea about the fuel tanks on the planes, so much appreciated for the extra military history.

I will call my nephew shortly and tell him.

Cheers!

bigbaba -> RE: A Military Question from a non-military person (9/17/2012 11:57:17 PM)

from what i know all russian tanks in WW 2 had diesel engines and this external fuel tanks were dropped away before a fight.

i realy like the russian improvisation talent. for example the germans created armored personnel carrier for their motorizied infantry and what did the red army? simply put the infantry at the tank and brought them into the battle.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.148438E-02