Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series

towerbooks3192 -> Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/11/2012 3:17:53 PM)

I was asking about this game some time ago and due to some emergency expenditures I postponed buying this game. I am 100% sure of getting it after I saw Das123's LP on youtube. The thing is I happen to stumble upon information on Decisive Campaign and now I am torn between which one to purchase first.

Here are my questions:

How big is the biggest map on AT compared to the whole map of Decisive Campaign (case blue for example) ?

Is the card system present in AT and does it make a difference in the way battles are done in both games?

Aside from the AI and the historical scenarios, what is a possible reason(s) why I would choose DC case blue/the other DC over AT?

I wanted to get the 2 DCs and ATG but my budget is limited as of the moment so will greatly appreciate the answers and suggestions I would get and hopefully the DC and AT games would be combined in one game in the future.

Lastly, if I master both ATG and DC, will I be ready for something like TOAW 3 or something as brutal as WitE or WiTP?

Webizen -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/11/2012 3:44:07 PM)

The heart of ATG, for me at least, is the random game generator. If not for that I'd not still be playing this game after five years. The DC games are very well done historical military simulations. They are worth owning and you will get your money's worth from them but their long term replayability does not match that of ATG. The DC Case Blue game has a good AI (none are perfect as I'm sure you know). ATG AI is not as good as Case Blue. That said I still enjoy solitaire games vs the AI in ATG. The map is always different and keeps my interest up. You have two styles of random games in ATG: one town start and ready made nations with standing armies in place. The card system in not used in random generated games in ATG. The cards are used in some of the included scenarios and in some player made scenarios.

Which should you choose first: answer the question "What is more important to me at this time: random games or historical simulation? Your answer is your decision.

I don't own TOAW3 so can't comment on it other than it is an older title in the Matrix lineup. I do own WitE and it is a true monster size game. One better have lots of time and like micro-management to play it. I got the game free for my efforts in writing a game review that was published for another game. I don't think I would have purchased it nor have I yet to even try playing it. That said many gamers have enjoyed it. It is simply too big, complex and time consuming for my current time budget/preferences. The older I get the less I like very complex/complicated things.

Developing your wargaming skills with ATG and/or DC games will certainly help with other games but each has their own unique things to learn of course.

GrumpyMel -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/11/2012 4:00:16 PM)

Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics are both great game systems and both fun in thier own ways. In answer to your specific questions...

- Not sure how big the theoritical limit on map size is in ATG, but you can certainly have some massive maps. The one I did for ETO is all of Europe from the arctic circle to the Quatara Depression and from the Atlantic to the Urals at 15 miles per hex. Probably some guys have done even bigger. So I don't find anything wanting in ATG in that regard.

- ATG does have a card system based on political points availble to use in scenerio's in the editor. However it is a bit different then the way DC's card system works....most importantly that ATG doesn't have any built-in mechanics for leaders, as DC does. The vanilla random games in ATG don't make use of cards. How the scenario's can use cards and that varies alot based on the scenario and designer. The ATG editor has alot of flexability built-in for designers, but there are some things it doesn't seem to be able to handle that DC does.

- I think the major difference between DC and ATG is that DC wins out if you want a real grognard game of those particular campaigns. Don't get me wrong, ATG offers some pretty Grorgnard scenarios (look at some of the stuff by Grymme for example) but nothing that quite meets the level of detail presented in DC. I also expect the AI in DC has been tweaked to present a better challenge since it's dealing with set piece scenario's with somewhat predictable parameters when compared to ATG. Where ATG shines is in breadth and versatility. You've got a really good random game generator, a fantastic editor and a huge scenario bank covering everything from ancients to space to fantasy. You've got some very Grognard feeling historical scenario's along with some very beer' n' pretzels stuff.

I got both the first DC and ATG and I'm very happy that I did, because they are both great games in thier own right, each with a different emphasis.

In terms of difficulty, I've played TOAW....and I don't find it any more complex to play then some of ATG's more involved scenarios....or DC for that matter.  I like TOAW...but for me ATG and DC beat it hands down.

AdamRinkleff -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/11/2012 4:16:48 PM)

quote:

Lastly, if I master both ATG and DC, will I be ready for something like TOAW 3

I think this game is better than TOAW. The ability to produce units adds a lot of depth, and the ability to shift subformations around is more realistic and adds greater flexibility. My only complaint about ATG is that I can't find any opponents, so I never play it because the AI is too easy once you know what you are doing.

danlongman -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/11/2012 5:16:56 PM)

I really love the Bombur mod in a random game with teck costs set high.
I would love even more to see it combined with the resource mod...with or without AI
Anybody think they can.......
cheers

ernieschwitz -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/11/2012 5:30:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: danlongman

I really love the Bombur mod in a random game with teck costs set high.
I would love even more to see it combined with the resource mod...with or without AI
Anybody think they can.......
cheers

I believe bombur is working on something like that.. but its been a while since I heard him talk about it...

Das123 -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/11/2012 8:04:58 PM)

I played TOAW a lot when it was released and bought each version. TOAW prides itself on being a toolkit for people to make wargame scenarios. The focus is very much on allowing modders to make specific scenarios. In this regard it was the closest system for lay-people to make the equivalents to traditional wargames. As has been mentioned, ATG really focuses on having a system that will work with random maps. You can still build specific scenarios too, but the random maps are the big winner for me.

I didn't buy DC because of the lack of replayablity. Looooove my random maps. :)

Josh -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/11/2012 8:08:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

The heart of ATG, for me at least, is the random game generator. If not for that I'd not still be playing this game after five years. The DC games are very well done historical military simulations. They are worth owning and you will get your money's worth from them but their long term replayability does not match that of ATG. The DC Case Blue game has a good AI (none are perfect as I'm sure you know). ATG AI is not as good as Case Blue. That said I still enjoy solitaire games vs the AI in ATG. The map is always different and keeps my interest up. You have two styles of random games in ATG: one town start and ready made nations with standing armies in place. The card system in not used in random generated games in ATG. The cards are used in some of the included scenarios and in some player made scenarios.

Which should you choose first: answer the question "What is more important to me at this time: random games or historical simulation? Your answer is your decision.

I don't own TOAW3 so can't comment on it other than it is an older title in the Matrix lineup. I do own WitE and it is a true monster size game. One better have lots of time and like micro-management to play it. I got the game free for my efforts in writing a game review that was published for another game. I don't think I would have purchased it nor have I yet to even try playing it. That said many gamers have enjoyed it. It is simply too big, complex and time consuming for my current time budget/preferences. The older I get the less I like very complex/complicated things.

Developing your wargaming skills with ATG and/or DC games will certainly help with other games but each has their own unique things to learn of course.

Webizen is spot on and I couldn't have said it better myself.
I too have played since AT got released, the random game fun is ... endless. I have played this game even more than CIV and Fall Out 3 ... which is saying something. I own TOAW, DC and WitE, and love them all but I only play the smaller scenarios in TOAW and WitE may be a tad too complex for me. Sometimes I like historicity and an authentic feel so I play DC but mostly I prefer the "what-if" fun of ATG. In that game *you* are the one who creates the units and decides where to place them, you decide where to hold and where to form a line, it gives you an unlimited freedom.
So again like Webizen says; randomness = ATG, historical simulation = DC series.

towerbooks3192 -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/12/2012 2:12:43 PM)

Thanks for the answer guys. I guess for if I am going to pay the full price then I would go with ATG because of the replayability and I could get more than I could get from both DCs at the same price. I guess I will finally go with ATG this Friday and get the two DCs on a sale or something.

I can't wait for Friday and for now I will enjoy Das123's great LP on this game so I know what I will be doing once I get it.

Josh -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/12/2012 3:32:04 PM)

Let us know what you think of it okay?
Sale probably will be at Christmas time again ...

Webizen -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/12/2012 5:25:54 PM)

@towerbooks: if you would like team up in a game against the AI let me know. In addition to solitaire play its a good way to learn the ropes.

towerbooks3192 -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/13/2012 2:41:12 PM)

Thanks for the offer Webizen. I will tell you if I need some help on learning the ropes. So excited for Friday noon since I will be getting this after work.

I have been reading some of the AARs and I can't wait to get my hands on this game. I know I will regret not getting this game ASAP.

Last question though. Does turn resolution take a long time in huge maps and does having multiple cores on my computer help to make it faster?

I guess I better get some shut eyes so Friday would come and I will be playing this game.

See you guys soon and hope to meet all of you on the battlefield as allies or as enemies.[:)]

Josh -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/13/2012 3:35:23 PM)

I don't think the game uses multiple cores, but turn resolution is decent fast and I play on XXLarge maps, or even the biggest ones. Although it has happened that I could go for coffee and the turn wasn't finished by the time I got back... no prob with that though. You can view the enemy moves if you choose so, it's optional, but the *replay* button is much more helpful as you can study the enemy moves much better.
Oh there's little or no music either, but I got used to that long ago. So you can play your own playlist (Panzerlied etc [:D] ) but I choose the silence. I mean let's face it, when a game does have music you don't hear it anyway after a while, or do you?

Webizen -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/14/2012 12:54:15 AM)

Be sure to install the latest update (v2.11) that was just released today if your game download isn't already at that version. It is a comprehensive update which means you don't need any of the other updates.

Meanfcker -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/14/2012 1:26:24 AM)

After you can kill the AI on ++ difficulty level, you can always have fun going against other humans.
Web's offer to help could get you into the big games much quicker.
There are several massive team games going on right now that have to be seen to be believed.
This game is divorce in a download, so I hope you are already single. :-)
Meanfcker.

towerbooks3192 -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/14/2012 11:29:52 AM)

Ok I just got the game. I am still trying to familiarise myself with things and I must say it is a bit daunting. I am confused about the numbers and information on the unit. I mean why does the number on the display say something like 90 and the number of troops in that unit does not correspond with that number?

I will read the manual and browse the forums and will come back if I have more questions. This is my first hex-based war game and I must say that I learned to check if there are multiple units in a hex the hard way.

Webizen -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/14/2012 12:24:36 PM)

Review this information I posted early last year when the game first was released:

ATG: Key Concepts and Tips
ATG Quick Reference Guide
ATG Random Setup Screen (v2.11 added some additions to this)
ATG Random Game Highlights

I and others will be happy to address any questions you have. Enjoy the game! If you haven't already, be sure to read Vic's ATG Strategy Guide.

Download link for v2.11 update: ATG v2.11

quote:

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

Ok I just got the game. I am still trying to familiarise myself with things and I must say it is a bit daunting. I am confused about the numbers and information on the unit. I mean why does the number on the display say something like 90 and the number of troops in that unit does not correspond with that number?

I will read the manual and browse the forums and will come back if I have more questions. This is my first hex-based war game and I must say that I learned to check if there are multiple units in a hex the hard way.

Josh -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/14/2012 2:57:55 PM)

quote:

Good. Matter of fact we would be *very* surprised if you hadn't been ... say overwhelmed a bit. See it this way, a game like Panzer Corps can be learned in an hour or so, ATG takes much longer, but it also offers much more depth and challenge. Just yesterday I had a many turns long battle against the AI over just a few hexes. It was a long and hard battle and I had to choose my battleground with care. I could barely stop the AI from overwhelming me. Must say that this was the previous patch, that was already an improvement in AI behaviour. I haven't tested the latest patch yet tho.

Yes there are lots and lots of numbers, but you don't need to learn them all. You'll get the hang of it, just start a small random scenario and click away...we'll be awaiting your questions... only 5 bucks per hour [;)]

towerbooks3192 -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/14/2012 4:12:09 PM)

Well I guess the best part is that it is not as daunting as Hearts of Iron 3.

I am getting used to grouping and regrouping units. I prefer to start stone age and I am a bit confused on what my units should be composed of and how I could attack and defend hexes (I know how to but I don't know when it is good to attack and if my units are good enough to attack the particular unit and what units to use in defense.).

I don't know how to mount an offensive though I think making a unit composed of atleast 1 machine gun per 10 rifles(e.g 3MGs to 30 Rifles) is a good defense however I can't seem to get the right balance of an offensive unit.

GrumpyMel -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/14/2012 5:27:59 PM)

quote:

I am getting used to grouping and regrouping units. I prefer to start stone age and I am a bit confused on what my units should be composed of and how I could attack and defend hexes (I know how to but I don't know when it is good to attack and if my units are good enough to attack the particular unit and what units to use in defense.).

I don't know how to mount an offensive though I think making a unit composed of atleast 1 machine gun per 10 rifles(e.g 3MGs to 30 Rifles) is a good defense however I can't seem to get the right balance of an offensive unit.

The key to understanding the combat capabilities for a particular troop type is to go into the details for that SFT (troop type) and click over to the combat statistics screen. When you there, you'll see a chart that lists the troop types combat values against other types of troops. There are 3 values you need to pay attention to... Hits... that's how survivable the troop is when fighting that other troop type, ATT Power... that's how much firepower it has on the offense against that troop type ...and DEF Power...that's how much firepower it has on the defense against that troop type. That really gives you the most important basic factors (obviously there are other considerations, but don't worry about them to start). The reason I mention this method is that if you get used to using it, it'll also help you out when playing scenario's as well...where you may find custom/different troop types then what's in the random games.

In general Rifles and MG's are good on the Defense vs Infantry, Anti-Tank Guns vs Armor. Mortars and Armor are good on the offense. Offensively the key really is to setup concentric attacks (e.g. attack from multiple hex's) and to soften up the target with air and artillery strikes. Even a Rifle only unit can be effective on the Offense using those methods. Defensively you'll want to protect your units flanks (so it can only be attacked from 1 or 2 hex's) and find terrain (like forest, mountains or urban) that provides defensive bonus...and try to keep air cover (fighters on intercept) over your units to protect them from air strikes.

The numbers you look at in an attack are the concentric Bonus (e.g. 50 percent) and the stacking limit (e.g. 90/100). You want the concentric bonus as high as you can get it... and you want the stacking limit with the left number as close as you can get it to the right one without going over. The stacking limit reflects how many guys you can get into a battle without them getting in each others way...it's ok to go over the stacking limit by a bit (e.g. 160/150) but the more you go over, the more casualties you are likely to take in attack...as your men are bunched up and left with no room to manuver. A little experimentation and you'll start to get the hang of it.

Webizen -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/14/2012 6:04:20 PM)

GrumpyMel offers some good advice. General speaking infantry is stronger on the defense and weaker in the attack. Infantry support weapons can help in both attack and defense: machine guns, motars and infantry guns. Bazookas can give infantry some anti-tank punch. Calvary units are very good in the attack, especially against unprotected infantry. Calvary and Armored Cars also have excellent recon abilities. Enemy units may not always be what they seem because of poor recon. Tanks are the queen of ground attack, especially in favorable terrain but have poor recon ability. Anti-tank guns and other tanks are its nemesis. As GrumpyMel stated, if you can hit your attack point with artillery and/or air attack, then the land attack you'll have better success. On both attack and defense be sure the HQ your units are attached to is nearby so that you get the HQ power bonuses. Review those links that I provided above if you haven't already. As you gain experience this will all come together for you. Also, sometimes the best offense is to let the AI attack you, get weakened and then you counter-attack. ATG has great depth which is why it is such a great game.

Re air power:
1) dive bombers - good against tanks, trucks, ships and artillery type units
2) level bombers - deadly to infantry, especially in open terrain
3) torpedo bombers - good against ships
4) strategic bombers (and heavy artillery) - good against cities, resource hexes and fortifications
5) fighters - very good recon, good against bombers and other fighters. By default when you first create fighter units they are NOT set to intercept. You must turn this on if you wish your fighters to provide intercept of enemy planes. Even then, intercept is never a 100% certainty unless they are in the hex under attack.

Heavy artillery also good against ships and infantry.

Re RAW and OIL resources: your mobile forces depend on these resources. They'll be in short supply initially, especially in one town start games. Over time you will need to acquire more and use engineers to upgrade the ones you do have.

PPs: You need these to build units and purchase research. Again, initially they can be in short supply or you may have to be spending them more on unit creation than research purchases.

Supply: Gain an understanding of how it works. Very important!

quote:

I don't know how to mount an offensive though I think making a unit composed of at least 1 machine gun per 10 rifles(e.g 3MGs to 30 Rifles) is a good defense however I can't seem to get the right balance of an offensive unit.

towerbooks3192 -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/14/2012 7:00:39 PM)

Thanks GrumpyMel and Webizen. I now learned more about the strengths and weaknesses of units and how they work especially the difference between bombers.

I managed to establish a defense on my front line in my current game (I held the front lines with 50 rifles and 5 MGS) while I have 2 artillery units (6 artilleries, 30 Rifles, 3 MGs) that I use in targeting which way I should advance and softening up some spot where my Rifle/MG defenders could progress and I have some units I used to attack (composed of a decent number of rifles with 2 armored cars and 5 mortars).

should I use my tanks like the way I used my armored cars like how I mixed it with my mortars and rifles or I should have a unit composed mainly of tanks?

Will read the explanation about supplies in the forum tomorrow since I need to get some shut eyes. I must stop myself since this game is pretty addictive and I can't stop playing.

Webizen -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/14/2012 7:38:12 PM)

Just remember that tanks and armored cars have a limited capacity to carry other units (5 infantry points per vehicle). If you exceed this limit, your unit will have less action points to move and attack. Trucks and half-tracks have a 20 point carrying capacity as do trains (note: trains use coal which is considered in unlimited supply). In the early part of a game horses can be use to mobilize some of your units (10 points per horse).

Your armored forces are at their best potential when they have maximum action actions for movement/attack so don't overload them with other units. Also remember that tanks are good on the attack but weaker on the defense. A tank unit that strays to far from its infantry support can be successfully counter-attacked, even by opposing infantry units.

Glad your having fun! ATG is a great game... now get some sleep soldier!

quote:

should I use my tanks like the way I used my armored cars like how I mixed it with my mortars and rifles or I should have a unit composed mainly of tanks?

GrumpyMel -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/14/2012 7:40:23 PM)

quote:

Thanks GrumpyMel and Webizen. I now learned more about the strengths and weaknesses of units and how they work especially the difference between bombers.

I managed to establish a defense on my front line in my current game (I held the front lines with 50 rifles and 5 MGS) while I have 2 artillery units (6 artilleries, 30 Rifles, 3 MGs) that I use in targeting which way I should advance and softening up some spot where my Rifle/MG defenders could progress and I have some units I used to attack (composed of a decent number of rifles with 2 armored cars and 5 mortars).

Will read the explanation about supplies in the forum tomorrow since I need to get some shut eyes. I must stop myself since this game is pretty addictive and I can't stop playing.

Folks vary, but I generaly like to have some infantry in the same unit as my armor. Tanks have an inherent carry capacity of 5, which means you can put 5 rifle per tank in the same unit and still retain the tracked movement type of the tanks. Movement type is another important facet of the game as it determines how far you can move (and fight) over different types of terrain. SFT's with carry capacity will lend thier movement type to other SFT's in the same unit as long as they can "carry" them.

So if you are like me, you can put a few rifles in each of your armored units and still be able to use those units in breakthrough, exploitation and encirclement modes. Put alot of rifles (more then the tanks carry capacity) and you are essentialy following early war French/British doctrine where the tanks are just acting as local fire-support for the infantry.

The reason why I personaly like to put a few riles in with my armor is that the infantry can be used to soak up attacks that might otherwise be directed toward the (more expensive) tanks. So say a defending mortar or infantry gun or even rifle rolls a lucky hit against me...I'd rather that hit kill a rifleman then a tank. Having a few rifles also makes it easier to attack more difficult terrain (like towns) where tanks operate at a disadvantage.

But again, people have different views, strategies on this. You are starting to get into some game aspects that are governed more by personal style and viewpoint then hard and fast rules. That's a big part of the fun with ATG...as far as I'm concerned....figuring out the best unit composition for your situation and individual style ;)

Josh -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/14/2012 9:21:16 PM)

^.^ what he says. I make the same units GrumpyChris makes, that is always accompany your armour with Inf. 5 per tank. That is not necessarily (damn that's a tough word to write down proper for a foreigner) in the exact same unit, you can also make say an unit of 4-5 tanks and put another Inf. unit in the same hex. The grunts are indeed used for soaking up attacks and recon, tanks are almost blind, so if you race straight into unknown territory you're asking for an ambush.

towerbooks3192 -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/15/2012 5:10:01 AM)

Ok so I am back and I just discovered one of my mistakes. I only made one HQ and I usually wonder how I should handle multiple HQs and make sure my unit is well supplied. Correct me if I am wrong or I did not understand it correctly but I should make a subordinate HQ under the supreme HQ and station it within the boarders where the subordinate is in supply range to the supreme HQ and it would extend the range of the supplies by placing men closer to the subordinate HQ under its command rather than the supreme HQ which is farther away?

ernieschwitz -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/15/2012 9:02:52 AM)

That is correct :)

Josh -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/15/2012 3:52:15 PM)

Yes, but a little addition to the above; roads or railroads as they are the same, are the key to a succesful supply system. Therefore you want to build engineer units, 30-40 engineer in each unit (they get EP's per turn per engineer, so 20 engineers earn 20 times... 3 or 4 Engineer Points per turn) In order to build something you need EP's for the Engineer unit, Raw (that's the ore stuff, see it as building material) and PP's Political Points.
So without railroads your units will be out of supply very soon, you will want to have them linked to your Supreme HQ. So that way your SHQ can provide its subordinate HQ's with fresh troops ... via Strategic Transport that your SHQ can do *if* it has trains available. Makes sense huh? Send troops via a railway system to the front. You can even use Trucks for Strategic Transport... but that uses Oil. And certainly in the early stages of a game you're short on everything. Because you want to build a railroad system, *and* you want to build shiny stuff like tanks/armoured cars/Artiller/Mortars but they all use up Raw and there's only one way to get Raw and that's to expand your Empire. Note the numbers on the top of your gamescreen. Green = good, Yellow = the amount you use up this turn, Red = bad meaning you are "producing" stuff but there's no Raw to produce it which means it's lost. Say you have zero Ore/Raw and you have set a city to procuding four Artillery... then that is lost, wasted, gone, better set that slider for Artillery to zero and max out the slider for say stuff that don't need Ore like PP's, Supply, Infantery.

Also note that in the previous patch, not in the latest haven't tried that one out, there are more cities producing things. Now it's handy to set quite a few cities under the command of the SHQ (check the colour of the left bar on a city = same colour bar as the SHQ) , because it needs the most supplies as almost all your army is subordinate to that SHQ they will also draw supply from it. But you can also attach some cities to local HQ's, so they get supplies and troops as well. PP's go always to the pool. So for PP's it doesn't matter to which HQ they go it's all added up. By attaching local cities to local HQ's you also prevent that the SHQ has to provide all of it's subordinate HQ's with fresh troops.
Building railroads costs ore too (select engineers, press R on keyboard, click on the hex you want a RR) ... so it can happen that you have say 600 ore available (most left number in the Ore tab), next to it is a yellow number which is the ore you're using up by the cities building stuff/guns/tanks/mortars, and to the right in the Ore tab is the Ore amount you receive per turn (depending on how many Ore mines you have and what lvl they are). Say that you use up 400 Ore for producing stuff. That leaves 200 Ore for building RR's, Forts, Airfield. Now by building RR's you see the 600 decreasing with every thing you build, do not *ever* get that in red, because that means the things you are producing in the cities are lost, not produced because the don't get enough Ore. The sliders won't change but it never gets produced. So either you have to stop your engineers from building more things *this* turn, *or* you have to reset some of your sliders to a lower number of Guns/Tanks/Mortars, or even things that don't need Ore like PP's Supply or Inf/ horses.
Oh and about horses.. they rule. Cheap, don't cost nothing, don't use up oil, etc. Armoured Halftracks are nice to have but only later on in the game.

The end. LOL

towerbooks3192 -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/15/2012 5:05:34 PM)

I kind of figured the part about linking local HQs to relieve the SHQ of the duty to supply each and every HQ and I guess its obviously better to attach local cities to local HQ rather than to SHQ since that would save me the trouble of transporting troops from the main HQ to the front and I could use the rail points to transport other stuff. Thanks for the info on the importance of rails Josh since I had a problem where I made a subordinate HQ that is fairly close to my other front and that front is mostly forest so some of my men that I attached to the newly established HQ were stuck since I forgot to check if the supply would reach them or not[:(]

I am now trying to figure out the best units to put in a group and I fear that I overproduce units and the job could be done with lesser and well rounded units. I will try to experiment moving with trucks and horses since I added the trucks in my artillery groups to make it more mobile but I never utilized the transfer option where it would use the land points. In my recent game, I tried to experiment with airstrikes and I think it is working. I grouped my first 6 divebombers and use it in conjunction with my artillery before I send in the troops.

Meanfcker -> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC (9/16/2012 1:52:25 PM)

quote:

Ok so I am back and I just discovered one of my mistakes. I only made one HQ and I usually wonder how I should handle multiple HQs and make sure my unit is well supplied. Correct me if I am wrong or I did not understand it correctly but I should make a subordinate HQ under the supreme HQ and station it within the boarders where the subordinate is in supply range to the supreme HQ and it would extend the range of the supplies by placing men closer to the subordinate HQ under its command rather than the supreme HQ which is farther away?

Along with the supply chain extension, placing your front line combat HQ's close to the men they support will give them a positive
combat bonus, eg current combat mod %110 current morale mod %120
There are methods that you will learn on the way, to increase the veterancy of HQ's. As their experience goes up, so does the combat and morale mods for the troops. It is frightfully effective when you get good at it.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.515625E-02