Overseas Payscale Information Needed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Max 86 -> Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/3/2012 8:59:49 PM)

Gentlemen,

I have been asked to work outside the US and would like some direction on what to charge as a day rate. I have been contracted to the same company here locally and have an established rate/contract for over five years now, but thats been strictly domestic.

Now they want me to travel to Norway to help start up a project (1-2 weeks). So, taking into account that expenses will be handled separately, need a visa, etc., does anyone know of a good reference as to where I can look up information regarding payscale for this type of thing? Its been over 2 decades since I worked outside the US and I need to know what is reasonable.

Any help / direction is appreciated. I've been googling for info but its been slow going. [&o]

Thanks.

junk2drive -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/3/2012 10:05:30 PM)

Monster and Career Builder used to have salary calculators but I don't know if they were international.

Wolfe -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/3/2012 11:58:20 PM)

Pay guides / salary calculators are probably not going to be much use as

1. They will generally be geared towards permanent roles

2. They by their nature are highly generic and therefore ...

3. Will not be able to take in to account your, the role's and the company's specific situation

My general rule of thumb when it comes to working out what an interim role should pay is to look at (if applicable) the salary the role would pay (total remuneration) on a permanent basis and divide by 200 to get a ball park day rate, but at the end of the day only two factors ultimately determine the rate - what the employee wants to earn and what the employer wants to pay - getting the two to match is where the negotiation process starts.

With your role being very short term generally there would be an expectation for upward weighting on the rate, however as it would appear to be part of an ongoing contract this may not be the case as you will not be being compensated for the short term nature of the assignment.

The above is obviously very generic advice and may not be relevant to your situation, or to be honest much direct use in figuring out a specific rate even if it is.

You may want to contact one or two Norwegian based recruitment agencies in your field of work (if you can find any) for more specific advice.

However given that it is a 1-2 week assignment with your current employer the general expectation would be that (unless the role itself is significantly different to your current role) you would be paid your current rate with all out of pocket expenses, travel, accommodation and a "subsistence" allowance (i.e. your meals etc.) being paid for by the company.

Do feel free to PM me if you want any more pointers.

terje439 -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/4/2012 7:33:15 AM)

Just be prepared to pay the shirt off your back for anything you need to buy here [:D]
20 sigs in a shop : 18 USD
1 beer at a restaurant : 12-18 USD
1 drink at a restaurant : 20-30 USD
3 course meal with one beer at a restaurant : 200+ USD
1 Big Mac menu at McD : 14 USD
1 bread in a store : 1-6 USD
1 hot dog at a gas station : 4-6 USD
1 night in a hotel : 150+ USD
etc etc

Terje

terje439 -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/4/2012 7:33:50 AM)

double post...

doomtrader -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/4/2012 8:06:13 AM)

Norway is really expensive.
However if you are going for two weeks only, the company have to pay all your expenses. I'm not pretty sure how it is in USA, but Polish companies are paying fixed bonus for every day of travel. It is like 8 Euro per day in Poland and IIRC around 40 for a day abroad. Travel and accommodation are payed extra by the employer.

Max 86 -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/4/2012 2:09:26 PM)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have heard Norway is expensive but wow. [X(]

I will definitely be charging more for working abroad than for working here locally and believe I have a pretty good grasp on that now. I work from home most of the time so they are going to have to pay to get me out of my pajamas and on a plane! Thanks for the 'divide by 200' tip though that makes the math work better. I was dividing by 365 and it just wasn't adding up.

I believe Doomtrader is referring to what I call per diem, a daily allowance for meals. Thanks for reminding me about that. That will have to come up front and now that I have been reminded of how expensive Norway is, I will be increasing that number too.

You have all helped me a lot. Thanks again.

Josh -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/4/2012 2:55:15 PM)

Oh you *definitely* want to bring your whiskey and cigars with you because a) it's a pita to find them there, and b) it's awfully expensive.

jomni -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/5/2012 3:06:19 AM)

2 weeks?  You should just charge the same consultant's fee (up to you if you want to jack it up as long as they are willing to accept), let them take care of your travel lodging and meals to cover the cost of living adjustment.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/5/2012 7:31:57 AM)

Norway is as close to utopia as exists. Congratulations on the assignment. You will never want to leave.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/5/2012 7:32:35 AM)

Triple post, not sure how that happened

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/5/2012 7:37:04 AM)

And one more edit

Hertston -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/5/2012 8:22:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager
Norway is as close to utopia as exists.

Unless you happen to be a whale, obviously. And the local cuisine sucks. Nice scenery, though.

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/7/2012 4:20:07 AM)

I spent a week in Norway about 15 years ago, city called Stavanger. Most expensive cost / sq ft in hotel room ever. Beers were very expensive, 7 Kroner back then, no idea about that now. As others have stated, everything costs more there.

On the plus side I ate at a place that sold Elk steaks and wild things, very cool.

Zap -> RE: Overseas Payscale Information Needed (9/7/2012 9:51:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Just be prepared to pay the shirt off your back for anything you need to buy here [:D]
20 sigs in a shop : 18 USD
1 beer at a restaurant : 12-18 USD
1 drink at a restaurant : 20-30 USD
3 course meal with one beer at a restaurant : 200+ USD
1 Big Mac menu at McD : 14 USD
1 bread in a store : 1-6 USD
1 hot dog at a gas station : 4-6 USD
1 night in a hotel : 150+ USD
etc etc

Terje

Just curious, how much would one pay for a glass of water at a restaurant?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.757813E-02