How do you analyze a ship to obtain technology from its components? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series

Atreidi -> How do you analyze a ship to obtain technology from its components? (8/29/2012 1:06:27 AM)

Just purchased game today and Im still learning. I might have some other questions later. :) I would appreciate help on this one....

How do you analyze a ship to obtain technology from its components?
I found an abandoned ship and wanted to analyze it. How do I do this? Is it even possible?

Tnx.

WoodMan -> RE: How do you analyze a ship to obtain technology from its components? (8/29/2012 2:02:49 AM)

Welcome to the forums and to Distant Worlds Atreidi!

You can find abandoned ships that are either just abandoned, or are wrecks. If you find an abandoned ship that is not wrecked, just fly a ship up to it to claim it. If you find a wreck, you will need to send a construction ship to repair it.

When the repair is taking place, you will get a small research bonus that represents your crew repairing the advanced technology.

Once the ship is almost repaired, your empire should claim it.

Once an abandoned ship or an abadoned wreck has been claimed you can either a)Use it to fight, add it to a fleet or whatever, taking direct advantage of the technology, or you can b)right-click and tell it to retire at your nearest spaceyard. It will move to your spaceport and 'deconstruct' itself there (it is not instant) and when that finishes you will get a boost in a technology on the tech tree (partly research it). If the ship was very advanced you may even get such a boost you research the tech entirely! If you are the conquering type proably best to keep them and use them, if you are the peaceful type the tech bonus from retiring them will probably suit you more!

Atreidi -> RE: How do you analyze a ship to obtain technology from its components? (8/29/2012 2:17:38 AM)

Do you mean the command 'retire' at nearest shipyard?

jpwrunyan -> RE: How do you analyze a ship to obtain technology from its components? (8/29/2012 2:33:39 AM)

Yes, he does.

endoric -> RE: How do you analyze a ship to obtain technology from its components? (8/29/2012 4:08:41 AM)

my tip to you is early in the game save those ships for a power boost to your fleet and maybe after a tech level or 2 retire them. The tech you get early on is lower as the game seems to give you a tech boost relative to where you are. why get the first level of hyperdrives for free when you can get a much better hyperdrive or other tech later on.

Algoritm -> RE: How do you analyze a ship to obtain technology from its components? (8/29/2012 8:28:03 AM)

quote:

why get the first level of hyperdrives for free when you can get a much better hyperdrive or other tech later on.

From what I've experienced, it doesn't simply give a free tech but rather a fixed amount of science research (ex: 150k in hyperdrive technology) which would then translate as 50% of the first tech hyperdrive, 25% of the second tech hyperdrive etc...

So waiting to retire the ship for better techs is pointless. You'll always get the same fixed amount of research boost.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.171875E-02